VFS= Which scope?

N

nonliberal

What would be my best choice of scope to use strictly for a VFS rifle for $1000 or less?
I currently shoot HBR but next season I plan to shoot VFS and I dont want my equipment to be the reason Im not any good. I would like to not be any good on my own. :rolleyes:

Thanks.
Kevin

Kevin, It blows the budget, but I'd consider a Nightforce. Either way, the scope's weight needs to be factored in when building the gun. It's over a pound heavier than most. A Nightforce is heavy, but good IMO. --Mike Ezell

Leupold competition 45x or a Night Force 12-42x BR model....the Night Force is going to go over $1000 unless you can find a clean used model...but make sure you know which reticle you are getting with the Night Force because it offers many reticles that are not suitable for benchrest...

Eddie in Texas

There are usually a few Nightforce 12-42br's around used and if you look close you'll find one for $1100 shipped.Go to 6mmbr and click on shooters forum, they have an add section, there are a couple of NF's there right now.

I personally am using a 42x NF scope on my 30br rig and i like it very much of course. However i do think a good old Leupold 36X is still a good solid choice, or any quality 36x. I think it comes down to weight as mentioned above. good luck and have fun! Lee

What ever scope you would use to build any other HV Rifle.

I recently went to the very end of the page and mounted a March 10-60 with a 1/8 dot. You can buy two Leupold 45's and a Weaver and still have some left over for bullets for what it cost ............jackie

Some may question this recommendation...but I'd get the Weaver 36. Cost is reasonable, adjustments are precise, and the lens quality will not limit your shooting ability. It will serve you well until you decide that VFS is defiantly for you and you're ready to move up in scope quality. One way or another, the Weaver will not be your limiting factor.

virg

IOR Valdada has a new competition scope that looks good. I am in the process of testing one and so far it has exceeded my expectations. It is a 36X with 42 mm objective and weighs 24 ounces. It has a worm gear adjustable side parallax adjustment that is very smooth and a fast focus ocular lens (+/- 4 diopters). Its greatest features are the superb optics and the crisp/repeatable 1/8th MOA click adjustments. This is a quality scope that has a suggested retail price of $1295. I don't know what the "street price" will be, but it is worth the asking price. I will be shooting my Dasher with it mounted in tomorrow's 600 yard club match. Good shooting.....James

45X Leupold with Tgt. Crosshair from Bruno's $939.95. I plan on buying another one next year. I have two 36X Weaver's that have served me well too. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally am using a 42x NF scope on my 30br rig and i like it very much of course. However i do think a good old Leupold 36X is still a good solid choice, or any quality 36x. I think it comes down to weight as mentioned above. good luck and have fun! Lee

A 36 Leupold is not a great choice for a VFS rifle due to the 1/4 moa adjustments.

A 36 Leupold is not a great choice for a VFS rifle due to the 1/4 moa adjustments.

I totally agree with Dick, but then again according to the young and restless "any quality 36x" would be a good choice. Some people should do a little more research and garner a little more experience before they start giving questionable advice. good luck and have fun fellow!

Dan

Great Point

I completely forgot about the old Louie 36x scopes being 1/4 clicks. So is the NXS Nightforce.

Although it is not a deal killer if you have a good one of these.. Heck, most of the time, my aiming point is where the conditions dictate. In fact, I will only turn knobs as a last resort.......jackie

(Some people should do a little more research and garner a little more experience before they start giving questionable advice.)

Suggesting one of the best all time benchrest scopes is ill advise? Come on now what gives!! Like Jackie said, who ever gets lucky enough to shoot in conditions were you dial in on the dot and stay there all match anyway? Maybe you sir need a little more experience in score shooting?? I personally wouldnt know, as i am not here to judge! That's not my thing! Lee

One other thing that just occurred to me. A .250" adjustment at 100 yards is still an X with a .308 bullet!! And darn near an x at 200 yards when you take in account the size of the 200 yard dot which is .150. Also if fellas have been shooting dots with 36X scopes in group shooting one would have to think shooting x's with a 36X would be a much easier task. I dont see where you think my advise is all that bad? I did like your comment about being young and restless though!! LOL!!! Have a good evening! Lee

Last edited:
For absolute reliability you might consider a leupold Competition frozen by Bob Brackney; about $1500 from scratch or watch for a used one on the classifieds. I have one as does one of my shooting companions who as 2. We love them. Adjusting them is a snap and they don't move onste set.

(Some people should do a little more research and garner a little more experience before they start giving questionable advice.)

Suggesting one of the best all time benchrest scopes is ill advise? Come on now what gives!! Like Jackie said, who ever gets lucky enough to shoot in conditions were you dial in on the dot and stay there all match anyway? Maybe you sir need a little more experience in score shooting?? I personally wouldnt know, as i am not here to judge! That's not my thing! Lee

One other thing that just occurred to me. A .250" adjustment at 100 yards is still an X with a .308 bullet!!

Well In as much as I have 25 years experience shooting Score, and I remember well doing it with a 1/4 min adjustments Scope for a lot of that time, let me make one thing perfectly clear. Of course you can use a scope with 1/4 moa adjustments and maybe it will adjust exactly where you want to be, but shooting Score is about hitting the center of the target and if your rifle is adjusted to hit the center in the predominant condition it reduces the amount you have to hold off for different conditions. And since the title of this thread is "VFS = which scope" I am here to tell you any scope with 1/4 " adjustments is just not my top choice not even a mint Leupold 36 BRD.

I have a 36X IOR Valdata also. It is heavy, but like mock says, has the clearest optics I have seen and seems to be tough so far.

I don't shoot that much VFS, but whenever I make Black Creek, there are a few guys using the old Louie, frozen, with adjustable bases. Also a smattering of Weavers, more new Leupolds & Nightforce (BR models) and the occasional Sightron 36.

Other possibilities: The new Sightron *looks* good, but no track record I know of. Rich DeSimone shoot a Valdada in 1,000 yard BR and it seemed to hold up.

I agree it is nice to get sighted in in the morning, then hold off the rest of the day -- or yardage. My scopes, group or score, seem to take 4-5 shots to completely settle down after an adjustment. The groups aren't much bigger after a knob fiddle, but more often than not, a little bigger.

Had an interesting experience this year. I shot an indoor 100 yard VFS match, and had a real no-wind zero. Then went to Black Creek. The "no wind" there was l little different. I couldn't help it -- adjusted for that during the warm-up match. Much more comfortable on the brain when you start with a days/ranges "zero." Maybe your brain is younger & more agile, but 1/8 minute clicks are a comfort. And yes, the "frozen" guys claim they get as good a zero.

FWIW

Thanks guys,now I have a lot to look at and make a decision. One other one I was looking at was the Sightron 10-50x60 SIII 30mm, has anyone had any experience with this scope? Is it worth while to get a variable so in heavy mirage the scope can be turned down to help? Or does it even cause a problem with the straght 36X and 45X?

Thanks for the help guys.

That big Sightron was the one that interested me. I've looked through one, man, was it clear. My impression was the dot was a bit large -- For 1,0000 yard benchrest and old eyes, it looked perfect. I don't know what reticles are offered.

But all that pales if it won't hold point-of-impact. Presumably it would be at least as good as the smaller Sightrons. I believe the "Better" rumor accompanied its release, just as with all new scopes and laundry detergent. Well, sometimes it's true, maybe we'll get lucky. (As in "At my age, 'getting lucky' is finding your car in the parking lot").

Be the first and give us a data point. It looks good enough that I just might offer up data point 2.

Back