Underground Range

I'm looking @ putting in a 300-500 yard underground range by burying storage containers & welding them together. Other then lighting and a vent or 2 can anyone think of other problems that would need to be addressed from the get go?

I doubt that storage containers are strong enough to withstand lateral soil pressure: http://www.americanwick.com/uploads/documents/lateral earth pressure 2009.pdf

You might get lucky, but with 45 total units, it's probably unlikely that you won't have a cave-in in through the side of at least one. Think of how much reinforcing is on the outside of a dump truck bed, and they are only about 4 feet tall. A storage unit 8 feet tall would need three times as much reinforcing if the top is buried by 4 feet.

Uplift pressure is also a concern, particularly if the water table isn't well below the units. Maybe in Utah you are dry enough to be OK with this.

Not sure where the OP lives, but ground water could be another issue. Sounds like a big old pain in the arse!! If I had unlimited money, maybe. I don't however so I still like barts ditch idea. Makes the most since to me. Good luck OP!! Lee

The Ditch idea is a good one but the only problem is my father who just turned 70" don't want a ditch in the middle of the field as he loves to farm and tunneling into a Mtn side is not an option. I have buried these storage containers before 4"-8" deep with no problems and some have a lot of heavy traffic over them. I have not made up my mind yet. Lots of people trying to talk me out of it.

huntinco I'm with you ..... HAVE buried them, WILL bury them again and am doing the same thing you are.

One problem I see is trajectory.

One of the three poured concrete underground rifle ranges I've been party to was a 100yd pistol range, 8ft headroom was not enough. hadda' belly down, sucked some.

But I've only been involved in 100yd ranges, haven't had reason to go longer and don't see as I ever will, because I can do all the work at 100 and because of ventilation difficulties. I've also done the concrete for a half dozen smaller pistol ranges, have one in construction right now matter of fact, a 50 yarder, and getting good ventilation without freezing one's shoulders and back is always tricky. IMO you will need a "shooting room" even if it's only 'C' shaped.

I've learned that the masses are nearly always wrong, and that I will generally always disagree with them.

ooops, gettin political

erase this if you want Wilbur, as long as he gets to read it

Good On Ya

What is the magic in 100YDS?

I have learned how to test in relatively short areas; it's just a question of how one shoots, then measures where the bullets went. Each bullet needs to strike the target in a graduated place on the target so that one can see lateral and vertical dispersion. Small targets shot horizontally will tell one a lot ---

Pete

John Krieger has a 300 yard tunnel that is a work of art. I don't know if he will share any information, but it may be worth a call or e-mail to him. James Mock

In Houston, where there are thousands and thousands of shipping containers for sale, they go for about $2300 for a 8 x 40.

Sounds like a lot of work for not much benefit. Sooner or later, you gotta shoot it outside.

One issue everyone seems to have missed: Powder residue fires. Yes, they are a serious problem - a worker at Glock was killed by one back in 2003. Unfortunately, the only links to the story I can find are both to chat boards, but they do end up telling the same story.

* http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-31159.html
* http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/945910/posts

Best guess: keep the area up to 15' ahead of the muzzle clear of all residues. Wet cleaning (mopping) is probably advised - DO NOT SWEEP THE AREA due to the possibility of static discharge and lead contamination. (Lead contaminates are usually from primers, unless you're also shooting unjacketed lead bullets.)

Before building any sort of range, obtain a US NRA Range Source Book. ( http://materials.nrahq.org/go/products.aspx?cat=Range Source Book ). The printed copy is about $60, plus shipping, though there is a CD-ROM version available for $20, plus shipping. Having looked through an older copy, the document will answer any questions on building and maintaining ranges, as well as addressing many issues you never thought to ask.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Asa Yam

We run a riding wet system floor cleaner, looks like a zamboni, weekly in ours. We have still had issues with powder flame ups. Usally can allow them to burn out, just watch with a fire ext or hose. The mop or vacum water is treated as hazerdous waste, if poured out and allowed to evaporate the residue is flammable and it always contains lead.

Back