The Parallel Node, Calfee

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a rimfire shooter and a poor centerfire shooter, but answer this for me. How many of the scientific and engineering type on this forum build accurate rifles?
Butch

Amen!

Bill Calfee could make a living from what I've been told just lapping barrels. The majority of barrels regardless of what custom brand they may be, I would bet money on it that if Bill performs his magic they would only shoot better than they did before. A lot of these barrels might even be hummers after he is through with them.

You guys need to quit deciphering what he has said about tuners and just start listening.

When you boys start producing rimfire rifles that shoot like Bill's, I'll shut up.

Brad

Last edited by a moderator:
I never said that it did. But you can also why a guy to death just like has been done here. Sometimes it just a matter of accepting that things are just the way they are even though we may not fully understand all the elements are the whys. Take it for what is is. Tomorrow may be promised to no one, but my money is on that I will see another day. And I won't have to ask why. ;)

If this thread of discussion no longer interests you, unsubscribe from the thread and don't let it bother you any longer. Understanding how something works can lead to ways to improve that thing. Understanding why one improvement works can lead to more improvements, or a better way to get even better results. There's no doubt that Bill's muzzle device improved the shooting results. His explanation of how it works may be correct, or it may not. There's no question it works, as the improved results are easy to see. But figuring out what's actually occurring could lead to another way to do it that yields even better results. I see no reason to quash that discussion.

Went shootin' yesterday.

Wow:
I went shooting yesterday (SB silhouette) at the local Benchrest Club, but the extent of my benchrest shooting was limited to sighting in my Anschutz 1712. Looks like I missed a pretty active day on the forums, and this thread in particular.

Nobody is questioning that Bill Calfee can build an accurate rifle. He can. That's not what this thread is about. Bill started this thread with some "questions" posed to some of us engineering types. The discussion has continued from there. Many of us engineering types enjoy a good lively discussion about technical matters. That is what is going on here. This is not a blindside attack against Bill Calfee the man or the gunsmith. Remember, Bill started this thread with some questions.

For some of us, we consider it important to understand how things work, and will refuse to accept incomplete, vague, or inaccurate descriptions. Maybe that is what led me into an engineering field. If you want to plunk your money down, buy a good shooting rifle and go out shooting, please enjoy yourself and don't be concerned with the details of this thread. If you enjoy a lively technical discussion, join right it.

I would still like to see some university-level research done on this topic, but I suspect that there is not enough money involved to warrant the funding of such a project.

SteveM.

It's been pointed out time and time again that all this discussion is centered around NATURAL vibration that probably only happens after the bullet leaves the barrel. This is the only mode of vibration that anyone can describe so Calfee and others hang their hat on that, and so that's what we discuss. Any attempt to describe the true vibration that might be going on in the barrel as the bullet leaves falls on deaf ears! The forced vibration is so complex nobody wants to consider it, so instead we just keep on talking about the natural vibration of the barrel. Varmint Al's work was concerned about forced vibration but it only involved recoil forces - not bullet forces.
Well not upon completely deaf ears. :D You are of course correct. But it's like trying to discuss Differential Equations to an Algebra I class. One has to get the basics down first. And the first and second order harmonics are very similar between the two situations - so techniques which should be effective on the one case have naturally proven to be effective in the overall. Can they be made even more effective once we get to the point of actually isolating the forced oscillations? - of course. But there are advances that can be found and achieved well before that, and we should make every effort to take advantage of the low hanging fruit. Right now we are just working on a way to define the "point" that needs to be located at the muzzle and techniques to achieve that. To really improve on that we will need to further consider the forced motion, but first we have to have an accurate handle on the basics.

I would still like to see some university-level research done on this topic, but I suspect that there is not enough money involved to warrant the funding of such a project.

SteveM.
Those studies are out there, one just has to find them. many of them were done well before the shooting sports became as non-PC as they are now.

To vibe..

You said:
Right now we are just working on a way to define the "point" that needs to be located at the muzzle

Consider this, the forced vibration, especially at low bullet velocity, may consist of nothing but something similar to the fundamental. The fundamental is essentially just a "swing " of the whole barrel without any node or "point" at all except at the receiver. Maybe all attempts at "moving the node" are for naught, since there is NO node.

Actually some analysis I did some time ago kinda convinced me that this was the way a short stiff barrel IS vibrating, especially in a rimfire, at the instant the bullet leaves the muzzle. There is just the fundamental with probably very short sound waves superposed on top of it. If you add weight to the muzzle you will reduce the amplitude of the swing and this is the only effect of a tuner. I don't know though, maybe eliminating parallel nodes, and X nodes, and stopped muzzles, and harmonics, and resonance, and multiple waves, and on and on, makes it all too simple to be correct.

Friend Beau

Friend Beau:

I quote from you:

"Beau..... I don't see why not. It's one of the most important bodies of work in our time."

A classic post.

Most folks don't know you like I do....You have one of the sharpest minds I have ever known.......

I apologize to you for what I'm going to say about your privite life....... at one time you placed explosives for the coal mining industry...what an awesome responsibility...and you must have been good at it, cause, you're still here.

I know you left that occupation, can't blame you, and becoame a CPA...and an awesome one.........

But my friend, you have in you, the same thing that is in me, and so many others, a drive for accuracy..............and you have a mind, an intellect, that allows you to cipher the correct from the incorrect.....and, explain it in words, something I have never been able to do properly....

I know you as the "gentle giant", because you are a big man physically, AND MENTALLY......

My experience in this thing called life, has been enriched, by my having known you my friend.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Got "bad vibrations" !!

Gee,after reading 6 pages of this thread I was getting BAD VIBRATIONS in my head so I just read Bill's posts for the rest of the thread !
I really hope that Mr.Calfee will post his findings on Roger von Ahrens's new solid "muzzle devices" soon.
I was also disappointed when I got the latest issue of PS and didn't find any articles from friend Bill.:(
Relodr

Bill I understand a lot of what you are saying. Your ideas on how a tuner works were the first I read and as such were the first I took to be correct. After reading a bit more Im not sure I still follow everything you say compared to some of the other explinations out there.

This is what I see you saying is the reasoning for centering the parallel node at the end of the barrel:
parallelnode1ok4.png

These are of tuned barrels with the node at the end. In this the top is the average round, the middle is a fast round with a shorter parallel node, and the bottom is a slower round with a larger parallel node. The dashes are the other half of the node that would be there if the barrel continued.

If this is correct I see how it gets ammo of different velocities to leave the barrel at the same parallel line. But is that what you want? I don't think it is.

Here is how I see ammo acting that leaves parallel to the chamber in the parallel node model:

parallelnode2hj8.png

Again the top, middle, and bottom are the same three average, high velocity, and low velocity, respectively. With ammo leaving the barrel at the same angle every time I would think that fast ammo would hit high, slow ammo would hit low, and the average ammo would hit in the middle of the two.

From everything I have read on tunners they seem to help minimize the impact of velocity spread. I would think the parallel node model would give consistent results in that the barrel is in the same position every shot. In this if we knew ahead of time what the velocity of each round would be we could predict where that round would hit compared to the average. That isn't the case though as we only know velocity after it has been launched. As such it would seem that this would only help groups in that the left-right aspect would be taken out a bit due to the weight on the end.

Please point me where I am missing the boat here because I am really having trouble seeing the benefit the parallel node model has when velocity isn't consistent. Maybe velocity is consistent enough in quality ammo that the differences are miniscule, I don't know. I have read a bit and see the points people have that question if a parallel node is physically possible. I know which way I lean on that stance but I want to keep an open mind both ways until I have a firm understanding of both sides of the story.

After reading Varmint Al's stuff I can see how his idea works to minimize the effect velocity changes have on group sizes. If I understand his idea right a correctly set tuner has the average bullet leaving the barrel on the up swing, towards the top of the swing. Leaving towards the top of the swing allows a slower bullet to leave later but at a higher point in the swing which counteracts the extra drop the slower bullet has. A faster bullet leaves earlier at a lower part of the swing. This lower angle gives less rise in the bullets path which the extra speed gives less drop, again counteracting each other. The problem I have with this model is that it assumes the barrel movement is always the same at the same speed and as such a slower bullet leaves at a higher point and a faster one at a lower point. I would think a slower bullet would have a different effect on barrel vibrations that also would have to be taken into account. Maybe it is and I just didn't understand what I read. Varmint Al seems to have gone through a lot of modeling and testing to give the results he has. That said a biased test is no better than an educated guess so until both models are explained a bit better to me I am still up in the air as to what I believe actually happens, if anything.

benzy2

You have laid out the two trains of thought very well and in an understandable manner. But your questions have been asked many times before. After reading all the articles and the tuner threads I'm still unsure of why Bill never responds directly to questions. Many say he doesn't respond because he has already answered, but if he has, it would really be helpful to post the answer again. Hopefully, in a manner as easy to understand as your post.

Friend relodr

Friend relodr:

Mike Sherrill will be here tomorrow morning. I will gage fit the new muzzle device to one of his "known" guns......

He has a wonderful testing facility and has agreed to run the tests...

I have instructed him to wring it out...good or bad, and post his observations.

I have given Mike a picture of Roger's device....if Mike sees this post, and has time, and wishes to do so, I would like for him to post the picture.

My friend, I no longer write for Precision Shootin Magazine. Precision Shooting Magazine allowed me to write for them for almost five years. It was one of the greatest thrills of my entire life. I thank Presicion Shooting for allowing me to do something, I would have never dreamed I could possibly do, writing for a technial, firearms publication such as theirs. Thank you Dave Brennan, and thank you Precision Shooting.

Your friend, Bill CalfeeI

Mr. Calfee going to miss your articles in PS. Looking forward for the results of Mr. Sherrill's testing. It would be nice to see a picture of what he's testing.

Bobby

Bill,

Please, say it aint so!

As with the arrival of each and every months Precision Shooting, I too have a ritual of immediately scanning the index page in search of another one of your fine articles, and sometimes doing so even before getting back into my house, and I have a mailbox in my front yard. But now am left feeling extremely disappointed due to your saying you will no longer be contributing to that fine publication. My disappointment is due to my feeling that I have gained most of my understanding for rimfires through what you have written, and most of that understanding would have never been realized if it weren't for your writings.

May I ask: is there any chance of your reconsidering? It seems that you are leaving with some of your prior subject matter hanging as some of the information given over the past five years was only partially covered and going to be detailed in some future writings.

You will be dearly missed by not only myself, but by many of the Precision Shooting subscribers.

Your friend,

Dave Shattuck

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Bill,

I guess the device arrived today, good I was wondering about that. I have one fitted to my rifle and I only did a short test on it. As I haven't had time to do a full work up on it yet. I won't be able to do that until after the weekend here. As I just have too much work on my plate right now. I'm looking forward to hearing how Mike testing goes. So, when you get done with your test give me a ring and we'll compare notes.

Best,

Roger

Is it just me?

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it off-putting that Mr. Calfee apparently refuses to respond to posts which are specifically directed to his attention, even though this is a thread that he himself started for the purpose of discussing his muzzle devices?

SteveM.

Internet forums.

I'm sure that a lot of us participate in multiple internet forums related to our particular interests and hobbies. Most of us know "how they work". Yes, you have to be a little thick-skinned to participate in some of the discussions.

However, there is one pretty simple rule that applies to all forums..... If you don't want to participate in the discussion or "can't handle" what is said in a thread - the solution is extremely simple - DO NOT START THE DISCUSSION IN THE FIRST PLACE.

SteveM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back