The Last Day

P

Pete in Surry

Ever think about what you would do if you knew it was your last day at work or life or shooting; anything?

Well, this is my last day of full-time work. I will be finished at 4:30 today. It doesn't seem particularly wierd yet but, who knows. Everyone I have spoken to who is retired say they highly recommend it. Time will tell. P

Pete...

Pete; I retired in 1998 and the learning curve is very steep. You'll soon adjust. If you find the extra time for shooting doesn't take up enough time, find a good volunteer part time job.;)

Anyway,
Good luck from Virg

Ever think about what you would do if you knew it was your last day at work or life or shooting; anything?

Well, this is my last day of full-time work. I will be finished at 4:30 today. It doesn't seem particularly wierd yet but, who knows. Everyone I have spoken to who is retired say they highly recommend it. Time will tell. P

Retirement! woohoo! Congratulations Pete!

And yes, there have been days I've thought about leaving it all behind...then I remember that there are bills to pay and all of that stuff...I guess I'll have to stay at it for another, say, about 20 years or so.

-Dave-:)

Pete, I've been hard at retirement since January of '99 and although it's been a struggle I've actually found time to make it to the range, and get to my loading room from time to time. :D If you don't move it's likely a lot easier, but I did and still survived. Gotta be tough though, or you'll end up sitting in front of the tv watching soap operas and Dr Phil....:eek::eek::D

P

Retirement is GREAT! I recommend it. :)

The first week or so you will want to stay close to the phone because you just know that they will be lost with you gone and will want to call you for help and advice.

After two weeks pass with no phone calls, you begin to realize that you're not really indespensable after all and it's time to start your real life. As Mickey said, you never have a day off. The weekends become just another day and you'll wonder why the time passes so quickly.:cool:

Enjoy

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations Pete

Now you can pursue your desire to shoot in every state, I understand your first new state will be Ohio in a couple weeks.

As to retirement yes it is great I really do not know how I found time to work a regular job.

Pete,
I highly recommend it. I had my own business for about the last 25 years I worked. Got burned out and practiced retirement for about 6 months before I finally pulled the plug. Had not taken any clients for those 6 months, just went to the office and piddled. I am a great piddler now. In fact I have a Phd in it. My attention span is about 7 years on hobbies. Took up BR about 2 years ago. Love it but hate to travel so I don't go to matches more than about 150 miles away. Limits me to about 4-5 matches a year. Never will be a real good shooter, but I really don't care. Winning a big match would be great but I know it is not in the cards for me. I just try to enjoy the things I do.

Donald

there are statistics on how long people collect retirement from a retirement fund( company based, not personal). there are two definite steps in the time span. if your job was your life and you have no plan...its very short....as little as 5 years; on the ohter hand if work was just a means to an end, and you have a life ..things to do, people to see......then the fund looses as you collect for a long time.

sorry to sound negative, but the answer has been given to you...get on with your new life! enjoy the work you put into getting here !

get involved at your local gun club...fine more types of shooting, or try converting a few to br.

congratulation

me ..i will have to work part time thru most of my "retirement".......

Pete

My left arm is solid tan at the wrist. i.e. I haven't worn a watch since 1997! At the time I retired I was scheduled in meetings 21/hours per week. That doesn't count getting ready for meetings and getting to them.

You'll love it if you have plenty of things to do. If you go home and just sit on the porch, you won't last long. My next door neighbor was a chemist. Retired, came home, sat on the porch and smoked. We buried him about 3 years later.

first ..Congrad's.... tomorrow is the first day of the new life..
i was forced into retired 3/13/02 do to 9/11 at 59 ran out of med an gov checks spent 2yrs selling most of my toys using the $'s to fix up an sell my home... before all that as normal worker traveling 73 mi one way to work plus over time hrs. once in while.. i had to do all normal chores of grass cutting summer leaves i the fall snow shoveling in the winter etc et c etc...
after no more work an thinking what do i do.. i can not figure how i did it all while working .. i don't know where the day goes now.. luckily i have more hobbies then most, i tinker Alot... an loving it
some times i don't know what day it is.. as mention holidays.. Already ! lol's
i'll be 65 in 2 bays an loving every minute of.. freedom.. i make my own time .. there will be days i say " i ain't do'n nothin today " .. by 5'oclock diner my wife says i thought you was gonna sit down to day Ha ! there is always something i get into some how..
since my pension kicked in an SS at 62 i'm all caugh$t up an enjoying the benefits
i wish you good health an the same freedom an time as i found..
Retirement... Congratulations enjoy it
RichG,...

Retirement

Pete. I just retired today also, and I'm scared as hell. I can't believe this feeling I have. I thought I would be happy, as hell, not scared. I know it takes getting used to as I've worked since I was a youngster. Think I'll pick up my PPC and 6 BR and go to the range. Now that doesn't scare me. Good luck!

I guess you guys are lucky

Enjoy. Retirement is something that is not in my future.

Heck, I like what I do. I like being in charge. I like being a integral part of our Industry. I like being a "player".
I suspect one day, physical ability will force me into slowing down. (I am 60 now). But untill that happens, I will keep doing what I do.

I guess my idea of retirement is someone finding me dead on some drydock out in a Shipyard. And I don't kid myself one bit. The biggest concern for anybody at the scene would be, "well, get him the heck out of here, we have to get this Boat in the water"..........jackie

Enjoy. Retirement is something that is not in my future.

Heck, I like what I do. I like being in charge. I like being a integral part of our Industry. I like being a "player".
I suspect one day, physical ability will force me into slowing down. (I am 60 now). But untill that happens, I will keep doing what I do.

I guess my idea of retirement is someone finding me dead on some drydock out in a Shipyard. And I don't kid myself one bit. The biggest concern for anybody at the scene would be, "well, get him the heck out of here, we have to get this Boat in the water"..........jackie
Jackie, you are right. Retirement is not for everyone. I loved my work but I was up-tight all the time. Six months after I retired I had a heart attack...I know of several of this result.

My friend Jim just got back from the FN plant in Columbia SC. After looking at the pictures he took, I wanted to go back. I loved manufacturing in the computer age.

Pete and Kaiser

Give it a little time. It takes awhile to realize how easy it is to replace you at work, and that isn't an insult. It is just a fact. They will be fine there tomorrow, but it will take you a few days to get over going in every day, and when you stop thinking about work, it is a great feeling.

On January 1, 2005 I retired. I was in the municipal drinking water business for 30 years, and it took a few months to realize I didn't have to check in everytime there was a thunder storm or some other natural act that could take the treatment plant off line. They are doing better there without me, and that is a good thing.

Now I have the time to shoot and compete at short range and at long range and some score shooting as well. I have plenty of time to work up the best loads and do some load development for some of my friends. I don't wear a watch and don't watch a lot of television. I am the happiest I have ever been and am enjoying every minute of my time......Both of you will too, sooner than you think.

Good luck and good shooting.
Larry Isenhour (Waterdog)

My wife actually did her dissertation on the psycho-social as opposed to the financial aspect of retirement, and it was quite enlightening to me. It is amazing to watch as her findings hold true for people I know who are approaching that age.
What she found was that, yes finances were very important to make sure that a feeling of security was achieved, but that often people, especially men, felt as though retirement was "death". The statistics are somewhat daunting for morbidity and mortality after retirement, and are directly related to an individuals feeling of self worth. You have received some excellent advice from the other shooters here. You now have the opportunity to do what you love to do (if you weren't doing that before). You can still contribute a great deal, and often more than you could have previously.
Stay active! Physically and mentally. If you have ever had a thought about becoming a gunsmith, stockmaker, bullet maker, park ranger etc.. (you may already do some of those things I don't know), or if you wanted to write a book or whatever...it is all out there. There is a lot of literature that can be great for reference, and there are a lot of lifelong learning institutes out there. If you'd like a list of books PM me and I'd be happy to give you a few titles. My wife is LOADED with information on the subject.

Good luck, and congratulations.
Mike

You will adapt--

You will wonder how you got any thing done while you worked! WORK is just another dirty four letter word that ends with "K". When you get "it" perfected, you will wake up one morning with absolutely nothing to do all day and only be half done by bed time!! ENJOY!!! Steve Moore

I'm at the stage I can walk any day. When I came on board 33 years ago, there was no celebration. There will be none when I leave.

Actually work just gets in the way of things I want to do - writing, furniture building, turning fancy pens & pencils, bullet swaging, reloading, shooting, working with a good birddog. Might even take up falconry. The dog and falcon both need daily attention to be worth anything. Might even get a metal lathe to play with.

The day after I leave I want someone to ask, "Who was that guy who usd to work at this desk?"

Not going to be one ofd the couintless people who retire and die within about 9 months due to depression, etc that eats at so many retirees.

Enjoy.

Jim

I second what Francis said, let him have it the old one, two!

I am happy for you Pete:p

retirement

I love retirement. I get up every morning at 4:30 and go to the park or gym and work out for an hour or so come home clean up and have breakfast AND then send the wife of to work.:D:D:D As soon as she leaves I take a hour long nap then I'm ready for my day. Which includes ANY DAMN thing I want to do. Go to the range a couple times a week. Mow the yard once in a while, check the mail, And all the other good BS I don't need to do. Don't have much money,but sure have a lot of fun. Wish I had retired 20 years ago!!:D

Back