The "Horizonal Tune"

Well, one thing that I do know, (again showing my ignorance) is when if the gun is tuned to this "flat-line" (as I am calling it) tune, that if for some reason a shot goes out, I can immediately look at the flags afterwards and see why it went out. If I cannot see it in the flags, than (for me anyways) I can make a small adjustment to my tune and get rid of the unexplainable flyer.

Btw: I am really enjoying this post and I am looking forward to the next time I go out to the range to try some tuning and taking more notice of what tune shoots in what condition and it's agging capability.

Matthew S Keller

This whole tuning for the wind is kindly new to me. I do believe in tuning in the wind, but paying attention to the drift is new (to me). I have had only one "wind" barrel that the dag blame thing would shoot great in hard wind when my other equipment wouldn't. Albeit, it wasn't an infallible barrel as I could tear up a rock, and of course found ways to make sure this barrel wasn't in tune, but it was harder to get out of tune than most. Idk, but this is fun. :D

Matthew S Keller

This whole tuning for the wind is kindly new to me. I do believe in tuning in the wind, but paying attention to the drift is new (to me). I have had only one "wind" barrel that the dag blame thing would shoot great in hard wind when my other equipment wouldn't. Albeit, it wasn't an infallible barrel as I could tear up a rock, and of course found ways to make sure this barrel wasn't in tune, but it was harder to get out of tune than most. Idk, but this is fun. :D

Matthew S Keller

Yes.........

Had and "think" I have one currently... Good shoot'n Bartlein..;)

I tend to... "increase the jump off lands .00X and back the load a "click" .3 grain or so"......... Still, the winds around here cause the horrible train wooly worm wrecks............. Tails are strait out L-R .... The let-up around here is when the tails "flop" rather than fast ripple..... 25 down to 20mph let-up.. Run 4 into a decent Four and a quick tail flop followed by a Bang........... Results in "shooter needs a tune"................:eek::rolleyes:

cale

Shots going high

(Shots dropping out the bottom are usually indicative of a too light of a load.) .[/QUOTE]

Joe: Would the opposite be true--ie. If a shot goes high then the load is probably to heavy/hot???
Enjoyed your comments.

CLP

In my observation...

... when the load gets a little hot it will absolutely drill a "beaner" and the bullet holes look small and very black.

When the load "blows up" it will usually pitch shots up and outward in a non-predictable manner. Come on Cecil, you know this stuff as well as I do (often better).

Another interesting OBSERVATION, when the air is very still heat coming off a barrel will cause successive shots to step downward. Shoot a rail gun for ten-plus shots without a mirage shield and then look at your crosshairs. They are usually higher than when you started the string. Often after I shoot a monster unlimited group I amuse myself by watching the crosshairs float back down to my original POA.

In still air conditions I also amuse myself by walking down the line before the match starts and making a mental note of the bench number that the guys without a mirage shield are shooting off of. Then I will look after I shoot my trainwreck at those numbers to see if my THEORY holds water. (It almost invariably does.) Then, when that guy me later why their shots dropped out the bottom, they look at increduously when I comment that it is heat coming off their barrel.

Then there was the time when I had a great barrel that had tremendous stresses in it. It would shoot anywhere from four to eight shots into one hole at 200 yards. But, then as the barrel heated up it would start to walk off into a tangent that would get close to an inch. The problem was guessing whether it would start its caper on the fifth or eighth shots.

I love the little mysteries of this game.

When horizontal is observed

Yes, I would believe it is random, almost has to be. But as we
look at targets, generally some assumptions are common. That is
wide shots are more easily accepted as a missed flag, where as Verticle
is tune . So we focus more on the verticle. Some of the verticle may
also be in barrel yaw which never seems to disappear.

in a no wind condition,( in a tunnel ) one knows that wins was not a factor.

When I visited Gene Beggs last November I was surprised to see groups that looked very much the same as the groups I have shot and continue to shoot outside. I saw his tuner take vertical into diagonal into horizontal into a tiny round hole, same load, bullet, brass, primer.

Since I have been playing with tuners with my CF rifles I have found that I can tune to tiny single hole groups that are repeatable in some pretty tough wind conditions as long as I pay attention to the flags. I now believe that horizontal groups shot by folks who know how to read their flags are tuning issues, not Weater Reports. The hard thing in some wind conditions is being able to find repeatable conditions to shoot in. This tends to make tuning a slow process sometimes.

Back