The fifth shot

Targets Talk

Mark and Tim,Thanks for sharing your examples(illustrations) of actual competition. My target is a constant reminder of how tough this game can be. I look back at that day, at the match, and try to gleen some self discipline that would perhaps limit some of the stupid mistakes. I said limit.

One thing has been abundantly clear, at least for me, there is no substitute for range time. The range itself adds another variable to the challenge.

Something about it, makes me keep coming back for more.:D

Glenn

Mark and Tim,Thanks for sharing your examples(illustrations) of actual competition. My target is a constant reminder of how tough this game can be. I look back at that day, at the match, and try to gleen some self discipline that would perhaps limit some of the stupid mistakes. I said limit.

One thing has been abundantly clear, at least for me, there is no substitute for range time. The range itself adds another variable to the challenge.

Something about it, makes me keep coming back for more.:D

Glenn

Glenn, I'm sure you've read both Mike Ratigan's book and Tony Boyer's as well. I still learn something every time I pick up either book for review. Knowing both gentlemen as I do, I can tell you what they would advise when you find yourself in the predicament you described in your post above; i.e., four record shots in a dot and then stopping and second guessing yourself on the fifth. That's usually a recipe for a big group; the dreaded four in and one out.

Both Boyer and Ratigan prefer to do the waiting before a shot is fired, choosing the right time to start and then quickly and without hesitation, firing all five record shots without stopping.

Hope this helps.

Best regards, Gene Beggs

It’s been my experience, when I don’t do that dumb mistake of “I can shoot through that stuff” and blasting it down range, that it’s best to waste that round that is cooking in the chamber and shoot it on the sighter and wait with the bolt open to cool down.

somebody else hit it on the head.
why do you guys wait so long to screw up.
get it over with, stop the pain
I like the 4th target, maybe the 4th shot,
take the pressure off target 5

Glenn, I'm sure you've read both Mike Ratigan's book and Tony Boyer's as well. I still learn something every time I pick up either book for review. Knowing both gentlemen as I do, I can tell you what they would advise when you find yourself in the predicament you described in your post above; i.e., four record shots in a dot and then stopping and second guessing yourself on the fifth. That's usually a recipe for a big group; the dreaded four in and one out.

Both Boyer and Ratigan prefer to do the waiting before a shot is fired, choosing the right time to start and then quickly and without hesitation, firing all five record shots without stopping.

Hope this helps.

Best regards, Gene Beggs

Gene…. Good advice. I was “running em” like Tony and Mike before either book was written.

Got the idea from watching some of the Gulf Coast Region Rail Gun shooters.

My mentor, was probably one of the best 200yd shooters in the Gulf Coast region, He shot a bunch of sighters in a 200yd match. His technique worked for his style of shooting.

Two schools of thought here. I’ve shot some respectable 200yd groups in competition. doing it both ways. Ive also been burned doing it both ways.

There is an old saying, “nobody dreads the fire like a burned Child”

Some of the biggest groups I’ve ever shot at 200 yds was, shooting fast, with my Rail gun. As a result,I have developed a habit of anticipating a condition change. Sometimes I get it right, sometimes I get burned.

I call it Benchrest.:D

Mike and Tony’s record speak volumes about their shooting skills. They obviously see stuff downrange that’s been unrecognizable to me. Getting older and aging eyesight doesn’t improve my situation.

Is the Tunnel still open for business?

Glenn

Last edited:
200yds,the Good

UL 200yd,shot same match on 3-14-20.
Heavy fog, wind and rain.

All three groups shot fast with Young Rail.

wvgsAgr.jpg

Last edited:
I do not know if this is a help or not, but Jack Neary told me to hold my last shot a little higher than the rest, if I was running them, his thinking was that you are enticed to get that last shot off and you will do anything to get it off which includes slapping the trigger. I have never done it, but I am tempted.

Gremlins

Hi,

I have often heard especially during the first match of the day that there are gremlins out there and often some less than desirable targets are shot in what appears to be dead calm conditions.

I shoot mostly on the East Coast and I now make it part of my routine to go out before the first relay and wipe down my flags. Even if there was no rain during the night the amount of moisture from the dew weighs heavily on the tails and daisy wheels. You will be surprised how much water is on your flag. So with the flags all bogged down and just hanging there we are led to believe the conditions are dead calm when if fact there is wind but our flags are no longer sensitive enough to display it and what we view as a gentle flicker is a lot stronger than what our flag indicates.

Since you shot in a light mist you must have had a lot of moisture on your flags. That might explain a wayward shot when the flags only show a minimal change.

As for the other 4-1 groups I shoot later in the day, well I guess that's on me and I need to work on that.

Right now my local club has been shut down for a month and I am waiting for the day to get out and shoot!

Bill McIntyre

Gremlins

Bill and Bill, those are some interesting practices. Never tried either one. Ive always relied on the sighter target to help me process what I think I need to do. You’ve got seven minutes per target to draw on your experience. Again, its not easy. You never know what the spoiler( mother nature) will hand you on match day. I'll try anything in practice:D

Glenn

My 5th Shot

Last year at St.Louis East West 200 yards first four shots in almost same hole then had a eye floater right at crosshairs messed with that a few seconds then just fired fifth shot but was too late conditioned changed just as I pulled trigger

Attachments

• image000000 (1).jpg
    image000000 (1).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 307
  • image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 300
Targets Talk

Yep. my observations have been, that the target will tell you everything you need to know about your shooting skills and equipment. As simple as it may sound, the target illustrates the fruits of your labor. The practice as well as actual competition. More importantly, the target tells you where you need to improve. For most shooters, that improvement comes with practice.

Now if I would just listen to my own advice.:)

Glenn

I do not know if this is a help or not, but Jack Neary told me to hold my last shot a little higher than the rest, if I was running them, his thinking was that you are enticed to get that last shot off and you will do anything to get it off which includes slapping the trigger. I have never done it, but I am tempted.

I have held up several times and it worked. And a few that didn't.....And a few where I forgot to hold up and should have....all fun.

A last shot that really hurt

Last season at the Washington State 3-gun, I got down to the last shot of the whole weekend, yep shot number 150.

All that it had to do was go in the 4 that were already there, and I had the 3-Gun NOT. I went from 1st to 3rd with one shot.

No excuses, I just messed up.

FWIW

Steve Kostanich

Last Shot

Steve...you're still messing up after 50+ years of this stuff? I dont feel so bad now, Its only been 21 for me.:D

Glenn

Last edited:
After 50 years

Steve...you're still messing up after 50+ years of this stuff? I dont feel so bad now, Its only been 21 for me.:D

Glenn

Glenn,

Benchrest shooting sometimes has one of two extremes; either the shot goes exactly where you expect and want it to go and it is just effortless to make it happen, OR you forget you still have to steer the rifle and it doesn't happen and you get bit.

A product of my 50 years! Still learning!!

Steve K.

DITTO that!

Glenn,

Benchrest shooting sometimes has one of two extremes; either the shot goes exactly where you expect and want it to go and it is just effortless to make it happen, OR you forget you still have to steer the rifle and it doesn't happen and you get bit.

Steve K.
Well reasoned and stated, Steve!:pRG

Glenn,

Steve K.

Steve are you sure you're not describing Golf?:D Lot of Sport similarities,Except for the steering. Golf is ten times more difficult.

I won't live to get in 30 more Benchrest years. getting more forgetful as the years pass. Still trying to figure it out.

Glenn

In score shooting, it’s not the fifth shot, it’s that darn first shot of the Match.

When the command of Commence Fire is given, I am often scared to death to shoot that number one target. You watch the flags, hit the sighter twice to be sure your POA is dead on, swing over to shoot that number one bull and.........you miss the X.

It’s there forever.

Back