Thank you Gordon E, Calfee

Powder residue

Since the powder residue and priming compound will lay at the bottom of the bore, that will have an effect on the wear pattern of the rifling. Most of it building up near the breech end of the barrel.

Does that mean that one groove will "shine" up faster than others? The one that is on the bottom at the chamber end..... Because the bullet will carry that residue down the barrel in that groove.

What this means for wax distrubutation, I haven't figured it out exactly yet...
:confused::confused::confused:

Denny

Bill, I would be delighted to discuss the 8th target at the ARA indoor nationals.

I have not been following this thread and that is why I took so long to respond.

Fire away.

If you can control, by indexing (not necessarily the term barrel indexing) a barrel, the primer compounds and powder residue to keep this bad stuff from the 6:00 position to prevent the distortion of a bullet.....but it will only make it more consistent which is a very credible thing. Being that it should be predictable. Hum....that is a good thing isn't it. If one could position a barrel of X twist and X grooves so that the 6:00 position was farthest from the leade....then maybe it would last longer and shoot better?

Carp

Friend B Harvey

Friend Brian:

First, Congratulations on that awesome 2400......you obviously know how to point a rimfire benchrest gun....

As soon as we, together, the folks "thinking out loud", on this thread, about the issue of why some barrels are more wind sensitive than others and the role that wax plays, is complete........I will discuss that fine target and the rifle you shot it with........that rifle is a perfect example of what we're discussing here. I believe everyone who has kept up with this tread will be surprised.

Again awesome shooting Brian...your friend, Bill Calfee

When shooting in real cold temps.( In the teens) Shooting from a warm building with plexiglass blocking the window except for muzzle and the scope mirrage tube. With the gun warm it shoots fine. After the tuner and a couple inches of the barrel gets real cold, Accuracy drops off. Could it be the wax is a different thickness or amount when it is colder at the muzzle. Meaning that it has to be exactly the same from breech to muzzle.Bring the gun inside and When it warms up it shoots fine again.

Friend Gordon E and Freinds

Friend Gordon E and Friends:

I started this thread and I don't want to hijack it, or change it's tone, as we have a lot more to discuss....thinking out loud. But, I want to make an announcement please. I have already made this announcement on the centerfire forum, under Brad541:

I have had great success with my XP-22's that I've installed my Manually Re-set, Relaxed triggers in.......It is time to progress further.

I have two Calfee/Turbo Spec Rifles under construction. Therefore, I've decided that these two Calfee/Turbo Spec Rifles will come equipped with the Manually Re-set, Relaxed Trigger.

Your friend, Bill Calfee

don't laugh

i know this probably can't be done but is it possible
to make a rifle where you could turn the barrel occasionally
to even the wear or put a purging device to blow out the
barrel between shots. jes a thought.

Freind Tom C

Friend Tom C:

I read your post, then made a post or two, then shut down my machine.

But, as I was getting ready to fix supper, I decided I had to get back on here and respond to you my friend: I quote from you:

"don't laugh

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i know this probably can't be done but is it possible
to make a rifle where you could turn the barrel occasionally
to even the wear or put a purging device to blow out the
barrel between shots. jes a thought. "

Tom C: If we could do as you suggest, our rimfire benchrest barrels might go 200,000 rounds of Killer accuracy.....but we can't...at least not yet..

Before folks comment that this could somehow be done with a clamped barrel system......it can't.......for a bunch of reasons that I've already addressed in other writings....

But, if we could do what you suggest,Tom, with a threaded barrel system......man, that would be killer awesome......but that. so far, can't be done either...

My friend Tom: This is going to seem plumb silly.....but my friend, I would like to present you with the first "CALFEE THINKING OUT LOUD AWARD" .

Tom C, your question was very well thought out, and, extremely important........

Tom, keep thinking out loud..

Your friend, Bill Calfee.....

thanks

just wondered i'm sure with are the variables to meet
would be difficult but i just thought i'd ask, you've seemed
to manage the difficult before. you don't know if you don't ask.

But, if we could do what you suggest,Tom, with a threaded barrel system......man, that would be killer awesome......but that. so far, can't be done either...
Sure it can. Just need a threaded bushing - threaded ID and OD - with different pitch threads. Not sure if it would be better than a clamped system (and why can't you do it with a clamped system?) I'm also not convinced that indexing the barrel wouldn't provide one position more accurate than all the others. So indexing it to "chase" wear, might not give to more life to that "killer" barrel after all - just more life to the barrel as a whole.

And as for the purging system...I think I could do that as well...a little CO2 and the right sized felt plugs. Probably wouldn't "make weight" though if it were incorporated into the basic rifle.

Last edited:
Friend Vibe

Friend Vibe:

I quote from you:

"I'm also not convinced that indexing the barrel wouldn't provide one position more accurate than all the others. So indexing it to "chase" wear, might not give to more life to that "killer" barrel after all - just more life to the barrel as a whole."

My friend, we will be discussing a target fired by B Harvey, at the RBA Indoor Nationals, before long....part of that discussion involves the issue of "barrel indexing"...

Indexing a rimfire rifle barrel has absolutely no influence on accuracy.

The ability of the bore of a rifle barrel, if that barrel is constructed to the standards I listed when I started this thread, to allow the bullet to carry an even distribution of wax, both on its driving bands, and, ahead of the bullet on the front shoulder, completely to the exit of the crown, is what causes accuracy and lack of wind sensitivity.

Your friend, Bill calfee

Indexing a rimfire rifle barrel has absolutely no influence on accuracy.
While I might accept that this may be true with "some" barrels, I'm not convinced that would be true of all, or even most. In fact I would think that some "less than" perfectly straight bores might indeed outshoot a perfectly concentric bore if indexed properly. The concept of pre-stressing comes to mind, such that a barrel that, only under the influence of gravity, becomes truly concentric and straight. This condition would only occur at one index position, and accuracy would decrease at any other position. A "perfect" barrel would be deflected, or sag to some extent, simply due to it's being a cantilever beam, but would do so uniformly in all indexes. So, while accuracy, may not be affected by indexing between positions per se, would it be "steller" in any of them? Perfect is hard to come by.
Much (but not all) of the "harmonics" dealt with in shooting are the result of the "straightening out" of this sag with the addition of pressure in the same manner as a fire hose whips around.
As for the matter of wax....Consistency is the key. But I'm not so sure that is more key than other factors. Truly consistent wax will not make up for inconsistent bullets or inadequate spin or any of a fair number of other factors.
I still maintain that it is the degree of initial yaw as the bullet leaves the muzzle that affects this effect we call "Wind sensitivity". I just cannot see the center fire crowd going to waxing their bullets. :D

Last edited:
Vibe is right on with his "initial yaw" of the bullet. YA, YA Now if you have a "wind sensitive" barrel ;re-cut the crown and see what happens. It's like making a spring, when you're done, you either got one or you don't..... best regards Plum

Back