Smoking at the range

adamsgt

Jerry Adams
This last weekend I packed up and left Raton after completing the LV 100 yd match. By that time I had picked up too much second hand cigarette smoke. Cigarette smoke makes me physically ill (nauseous) and too much will get absorbed into my sinus cavities and cause me to smell a hot acrid scent each time I take a breath through my nose. Depending on how much smoke I absorb it will take 3 to 7 days to flush out of my system. I try to avoid smoke by moving away from the source when possible. This becomes difficult to impossible when you have designated firing and reloading benches. I also try to not be obnoxious about this but it has come to the point that I wonder if there is any point to me going to matches anymore. A lot of smokers are considerate(Jack Snyder is one) but there are some that seem to think that they have a right to smoke and if you don't like smoke in your face, well, that's your problem.

I know that a number of people on this board will call me a whiner. I agree that smokers have every right to stuff their lungs full of cigarette smoke. However, I do not agree that they have a right to put their cigarette smoke into my lungs.

I did a search on the forum on smoking and didn't have much success in finding previous discussion on this topic. I did, however, stumble on a thread where loud talking on the line was disparaged. Is that worse than putting smoke in someones face?

I wouldn't have thought that smoking was allowed in the Reloading Area?

Brent

secondhand smoke is no joke

Jerry, Here are my thoughts on your post. It seems you are very sensitive to second hand smoke more so then anyone I have ever heard of. This is an obvious health issue for you and judging from the tone of your post a philosophical one as well. I am guessing that the problem is not a smoker blowing smoke in your face (unless the CIA is involved and you are an enemy combatant) but being anywhere near someone smoking. Many ranges ban smoking in the loading area for fire protection but I know of none that ban it from the firing line. A polite request to not smoke near you is a good starting point in solving your dilemma. That may work about 50% of the time. If someone insists on smoking in the loading area and the range rules forbid it then you have the option of bringing it to the attention of the match director. I don't know of any one being assigned a specific loading bench and you also have the option of loading elsewhere. On the line you could ask for a different bench but this request may not be honored. In this case I suggest a change of diet to cabbage and liverwurst. Wait until the wind is in the right direction and let loose with a blast of aromatic flatus in the direction of the smoker. Like all WMD this may target the innocent along with the guilty but, hey, war is war. Tim

Last time I was at Raton, the Coors building had signs up on the walls about every 30 feet saying that there was no smoking in the building. I never saw anyone break the rule.

The firing line was another story though but thankfully, there isn't too much time to smoke when there's shooting to be done.

Jerry,

Just curious, are you hyper sensitive to other things like cologne, cooking smells or barbeque, diesel exhaust. Used to work with a guy who couldn't be around welding fumes, he got all plugged up like you're talking about.

Hi Jerry.
I have this problem, also. And a Very similar reaction to the smoke.
Gets to my nose, runny eyes, and generally makes life very irritable.
And I become irritable. I try to move away. Then I say something.
Where I shoot, most smokers go outside. Maybe they all do.
I don't think, I have seen anyone on the firing line smoke.
And I do weld and burn on occasion. That smoke is not an irritant.

at the western canadians we had an incident

where I asked the official scorer (a policeman) to refrain as I am going in for a lung biopsy this fall, it has been schuled at a hospital, then the match director (his dad) says to me 5 minutes later, we just lost the scorer if he cant smoke in the loading area, so we let him smoke,

still miffed, maybe I should resign as the benchrest shooters of canada president over it, that was just plain bs, 2 others WM and 1 more also mentioned it,

just crap o la

Jefferson

There was about a 5 page thread on this a couple years ago. There isn't any clear answer. Unless the host range forbids it, it is up to the smoker to not affect bystanders. And some don't care and smoke anyway.

I am a smoker and disappointed that fellow smokeres would not honor your request. We do not have the right to infringe upon your rights and us smokers should do everything resonably possible to accomodate request like yours. Please do not lable every smoker as a thoughtless villan because we are not. Most of us are content to abide by any reasonable guidlines or requests.

I am also very sensitive to second hand smoke which gives me a severe headache if I breath very much of it. I always explain the issue as politely as I can and fortunately my smoking buds understand that this is a genuine health issue with me and give me a wide berth when lighting up and I've never seen one of them smoking at the line or even in the loading area.

At a CF match we did have a chain smoker show up. I gave him a wide berth. A couple of the other shooters did comment on his smoking while loading :eek: One of our shooters has severe lung issues and always has a portable oxygen tank in his truck. He drew a bench beside the chain smoker and I asked him if he wanted me to say something to the smoker but he said he was OK [ which I kinda doubted, but ??? ].

This can be a contentious issue if not handled with care on both sides.

Ray

the nbrsa regional meeting is next weekend

and the director is familiar with COPD so maybe if I add this item to the agenda we can make some kind of an issue at the national meeting, maybe I should call 3 other directors i know, isnt that how it works to get thinks done

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Amplifications

There are only a few no smoking signs left in the Coors building, in the stage end. I didn't see anyone smoking at a reloading bench but some came into the building with lit cigarette and puttered around before traversing the building to leave at another exit. The Whittington center had provided a butt receptacle outside the building but it was positioned in between two of the side by side roll up doors. This was interpreted by some smokers as defining a smoking area. Smoking in this area resulted in smoke being blown into the building by the ever present wind.

There's an old saying that goes "Your right to swing your arm ends where my nose begins". I feel that this certainly applies to smoking, talking, music, noise, lights or anything that affects our physical senses. I doubt that shooters would put up with a blaring boom box in the Coors building or flashing strobe lights or laser pointers in the eyes. In a civilized society we have to be aware of how exercising our rights affects the rights of other people.

I started smoking when I was about fourteen. I remember how I had to "learn" to smoke. My body complained about the inhalation of smoke by making me cough, sweat and feel sick. Obviously my body didn't want this smoke but I forced it to accept it anyway. Then the addiction part kicked in and I became a nicotine addict. I quit smoking when I was thirty six, about 33 years ago. I think my current physical reaction to second hand smoke is my body reminding me that it wants no part of cigarette smoke or nicotine addiction.

I am a smoker (who has been trying to quit for some time). I will always refrain from smoking when requested and, although I know it does happen, do not understand why any smoker would have a problem with complying with such a request.

I would not have a problem with an NBRSA rule that forbids smoking on the firing line during an agg. If the range forbids smoking on the firing line at all times, even during practice, I would comply, but in the case of practice I think it should be up to the range, not NBRSA.

Steve...

I am a smoker (who has been trying to quit for some time). I will always refrain from smoking when requested and, although I know it does happen, do not understand why any smoker would have a problem with complying with such a request.

I would not have a problem with an NBRSA rule that forbids smoking on the firing line during an agg. If the range forbids smoking on the firing line at all times, even during practice, I would comply, but in the case of practice I think it should be up to the range, not NBRSA.

a lot of folks just feel plain embarrased or reluctant to ask someone to stop smoking around them. Perhaps its from another incident where the smoker became belligerant? In any event, it should be the smoker (imho) who seeks out a place to further shorten their life without their by products bothering others and not the non smoker who should have to ask. Good luck quitting and more power to you if you do!

In any event, it should be the smoker (imho) who seeks out a place to further shorten their life without their by products bothering others and not the non smoker who should have to ask.QUOTE]

I'm going to disagree with you there. If the non-smoker doesn't ask, how am I to know? Should I go hide in the woods to smoke? Not gonna happen. I'll gladly avoid the non-smoker and any place where smoking is prohibited, but reading minds is not one of my (many) superpowers!

Heck Steve,

I didn't know you were a smoker so you must be doing a good job. Good luck at Rockingham.

Anyway, I am quite sensitive to smoke. I chained smoked in the service for a few years and my body actually started to reject it so it was very easy to quit when everytime you light up you throw up. As long as someone isn't blowing smoke directly in my face (or up my a**) then I put up with it or just move a little to keep it out. Why, not because I'm to shy but I just figure there's probably things about me that annoy others (lame humor is definently one). I just look at it like a drinker that don't smoke and a smoker that don't drink...we can still be friends just please don't put your butt out in the last of my 8208....please.

I'll tell you what really concerns me about smokers....it's those pesky California Medical smokers...it's hard enough for me to get 5 rnds on target in 7 min anyway....but with that blowing around, it's plume down hard..and..it's about impossible when you have to run back to the burger shack during the record string..:eek:..:eek:

Hovis

Forget the health implications for a moment.

Smoking in the loading area is a safety issue that should not be compromised - period. If it were handled with the same unwavering position as other safety violations (i.e. disqualification) then it would stop abruptly.

Regarding smoking on the firing line, I would suggest it is an unnatural manmade distraction and could easily create an unintended interference with other shooters. Depending on the wind direction, the smoke could waft into the vision/face of adjacent shooters and create a distraction while they are shooting.

I don’t smoke; however, 2nd hand smoke typically does not bother me unless it is being egregious blown directly into my face.

Steve...

In any event, it should be the smoker (imho) who seeks out a place to further shorten their life without their by products bothering others and not the non smoker who should have to ask.QUOTE]

I'm going to disagree with you there. If the non-smoker doesn't ask, how am I to know? Should I go hide in the woods to smoke? Not gonna happen. I'll gladly avoid the non-smoker and any place where smoking is prohibited, but reading minds is not one of my (many) superpowers!

point I was trying to make is, if a smoker is in company with others they should ask if its ok to smoke(if it would bother anyone else) or drift off to a spot by themselves. It should not be the non smokers responsibility to be the initiator here.

Smoking

Oat Cell Carcinoma of the Lungs killed my Father, and my Older Brother, (14 months my senior), 20, and 18 years ago respectivly.

The "white" walls inside the house I grew up in were a dull yellow.

I hate cigarettes.

But, I also value an adults right to do what he pleases,as long as it doesn't affect others. I have seen smokers, in the loading area, charging cases out of their measure, with a cigarette hanging out of their mouth. That isn't rude, it's just stupid.

A veteran shooter, now deaceased, was one of the heaviest smokers I ever saw. He was asked one time, (at a National Event) to take it outside, and he just gave the person who made the request a "you leave if you don't like it look". While every body "loved" this shooter, he was a coarse ole grouch.

This is a touchy subject. You would think that shooters would have enough sense not to have a lit cigarette around Rifle Powder, but admitt it, we see it all the time.

And, you would think that shooters would have the common courtesy to take it away from others when they light up. Many do. Many do not.

You give me the answer.

I am just thankfull that through all the years that my Dad and my Brother smoked, my two remaining Brothers and I never took it up.......jackie

Nasty

I don't know which is worst. Dying of Lung Cancer or trying to survive Chemo. Someone earlier said, that if the scorer had to quit smoking, he'd quit scoring. I rather not lose another shooter to cancer. Scorers are easy to get if you pay them enough.

Back