Shipping costs:

To me, shipping can be a game changer in where I buy. I look at the total cost, and many times the shipping can be the deciding factor. Companies that use UPS, they have a minimum change regardless of size or weight, used to be $9.95 but probably higher now. I rarely buy from MSC for that reason anymore, I can order from McMasterCarr and they will drop the same small thing in a padded envelope and ship for a few bucks.

Sales tax can be a killer too.

Al and Wayne, I agree with you. Anteloppy, I believe if I had your shipping complaints, I would either do without or I would just drive to the supplier.

I AM WRONG! (you will never guess how it was to say that), but I was charged $9.95 in shipping, not the figure in the previous email, but it was not a gun part either. But I agree with the previous people get the total price first.

Al and Wayne, I agree with you. Anteloppy, I believe if I had your shipping complaints, I would either do without or I would just drive to the supplier.

Bruno doesn't collect sales tax [yet] so all things being equal he will get my biz. For powder or primers it's usually cheaper to get them local and just pay sales tax. For 2 lousy pounds of IMR 4955 Midway would have been about $95 or so. Fawk that.

I've shipped plenty of things via various ways and I know about what things should cost to ship.

Good for you. There is a lot more to shipping than a box and a stamp. You might know that some larger suppliers have a dedicated shipping dept. Those employees need to be paid and have a small amount of benefits. In my case I am the shipping dept. I use new boxes, tape, and packing material. I am rural and it is a 40mile round trip to the post office. So I start with a one hour trip and $6 of diesel.
Everybody has a different story. My shipping charge is posted on my website.

I don't go shopping for anything I can buy locally. There aren't many reloading/machining/gun related stores in my area. The online stores are the only option, some get better prices for things, some don't. Some have better shipping and packaging options, some don't. The free market takes over.

Just bought a 3" diamond grinding wheel, $21 for wheel- $12.95 for shipping- I know it is going to arrive at shop in a bubble pack via usps even though ups was speced. This from down state IL to Milw. WI. . less than 6 oz. A 2lb saw plate from Texas or Ohio distrubition point costs less.
it is what it is. just flustrating.

I don't go shopping for anything I can buy locally. There aren't many reloading/machining/gun related stores in my area. The online stores are the only option, some get better prices for things, some don't. Some have better shipping and packaging options, some don't. The free market takes over.

Wayne, I love McMaster Carr. Very cheap shipping 3 day delivery, and everything is in stock.

Hazmat charge was just another way to boost profits for UPS I don't recall any big Brown trucks blowing up or a good reason to justify it.

Wayne, I love McMaster Carr. Very cheap shipping 3 day delivery, and everything is in stock.

Butch, remember back many moons ago before the internet, the McMasterCarr catalogs were the thing to have! I still have a couple. I always said, if McM-C doesn't have it, you don't need it.

Good for you. There is a lot more to shipping than a box and a stamp. You might know that some larger suppliers have a dedicated shipping dept. Those employees need to be paid and have a small amount of benefits. In my case I am the shipping dept. I use new boxes, tape, and packing material. I am rural and it is a 40mile round trip to the post office. So I start with a one hour trip and $6 of diesel.
Everybody has a different story. My shipping charge is posted on my website.

I understand fully that most if not all business have shipping departments and personnel and shipping materials none of which is free unless you get them from the post office. In your case the USPS will pick up at your residence or place of business which for some reason you don't seem to want to take advantage of. The USPS also has regional rate boxes which can be a money saver. If you have a PayPal account you can create and print shipping labels at www.paypal.com/shipnow. also from the USPS website.

Last edited:
Young feller, I'm glad that you are aware of my business practices. So I box up my product and drive 1/8th mile through the woods to leave it by my front gate for USPS or other shippers to pick up?

"So I box up my product and drive 1/8th mile through the woods to leave it by my front gate for USPS or other shippers to pick up".
:cool::cool::cool:

Young feller, I'm glad that you are aware of my business practices. So I box up my product and drive 1/8th mile through the woods to leave it by my front gate for USPS or other shippers to pick up?

Leave a note in your mailbox for them to come to the front door, duh! Get to know your carrier. Give him or her a 12ver every few months and you'll get the red carpet treatment. My ex carrier gave me his cell # to call and pick up stuff when he was in the area.

Leave a note in your mailbox for them to come to the front door, duh! Get to know your carrier. Give him or her a 12ver every few months and you'll get the red carpet treatment. My ex carrier gave me his cell # to call and pick up stuff when he was in the area.

Duh?---- That word is an implication questioning someones intelligence. Not good way to advance dialogue . I ship almost every work day 2 to 10 packages, I take them to the PO. Why would I do that when all I have to do is get the carrier to come by and pick them up? Because they weigh 35 pounds per box and I'm not going to put that load on someone else.------Duh , lol

Duh?---- That word is an implication questioning someones intelligence. Not good way to advance dialogue . I ship almost every work day 2 to 10 packages, I take them to the PO. Why would I do that when all I have to do is get the carrier to come by and pick them up? Because they weigh 35 pounds per box and I'm not going to put that load on someone else.------Duh , lol

To each their own. They have vehicles designed for larger stuff that they'd send out depending upon the items to be picked up so to each their own. I suppose you could be nice and load it for them tho.

If something costs $3 to ship then I would think that doubling that to $6 to cover overhead associated with it would be fair; esp. since they have no control over the service after it leaves their facility.

To each their own. They have vehicles designed for larger stuff that they'd send out depending upon the items to be picked up so to each their own. I suppose you could be nice and load it for them tho.

If something costs $3 to ship then I would think that doubling that to $6 to cover overhead associated with it would be fair; esp. since they have no control over the service after it leaves their facility.

Young feller, you need to get in the real World.
Tell me what you do and I'll have several fixes for your problems.
I know, you have no problems and just fix others.

Back