Shipping costs:

Pete Wass

I know I've complained in the past about this subject BUT: I just purchased 2 items that weigh mere ounces for $18.00. The shipping on them is $25.50! UNFREAKINGBELIEVABLE!

Pete

I have a similar problem this week with some very light, but bulky tubing. $23.45 for the tubing, total of $53.00 with tax and shipping. How it is shipped, how bulky it is and whether the sender charges a Handling Fee, all adds to the total. Now that larger suppliers have to charge sales tax even on out of state orders, that is adding up too.

Bob

I think it's a nuisance fee

Now that the major online retailers account for a huge percentage of shipped goods, it seems like we individuals (and small companies) are being charged what amounts to 'nuisance fees'. Shipping has always been expensive (at least until you think about alternate means of moving goods across country, or even a state), but it certainly seems more so these days. The sole exception / value may be the USPS flat-rate boxes, but those are only a value if you're shipping something heavy that would otherwise be very expensive to ship (e.g. bullets!).

GsT

some places have gotten out of hand on the packaging/handling fees stacked on top of the shipping cost via which ever carrier. I always look at that aspect vs the price asked for the mercandise- sometimes it is better to pay a bit more up front than getting slapped on the backside with handling fees. Got love UPS as they charge more if the address dosen't pop up as commercial and the funny part is they hand it off to USPS for the final leg on small stuff. Right now that can sometimes add a week or more to the delivery date in some areas. Been a lot of nashing of teeth about that.

I have a similar problem this week with some very light, but bulky tubing. $23.45 for the tubing, total of $53.00 with tax and shipping. How it is shipped, how bulky it is and whether the sender charges a Handling Fee, all adds to the total. Now that larger suppliers have to charge sales tax even on out of state orders, that is adding up too.

Bob

Was looking at 2 pounds of powder from Midway and with sales tax, shipping and hazmat twas over $95; so no sale from me. BTW suppliers don't charge sales tax, they collect it. Most states charge sales tax.

Welcome to a post-Ebay and post Corona economy. Ebay sellers started this crap by overcharging on shipping in order to increase their "profit" margin. The retailers saw it, and decided it was a great cash flow tool. The pandemic helped it all by boosting the on-line sales arena.
And the end result is greater separation between a fixed income and buying what's needed.
Redistribution of wealth is a great thing, isn't it?

Roger

I once bought a case of 400 each foam Small Ammo Trays ( 1 case ) and the price was 80.00. Weight wise the cardboard box felt like it was completely empty and the cost for the frieght to get to my place was 42.79 and that was back in 2013.

Welcome to a post-Ebay and post Corona economy. Ebay sellers started this crap by overcharging on shipping in order to increase their "profit" margin. The retailers saw it, and decided it was a great cash flow tool. The pandemic helped it all by boosting the on-line sales arena.
And the end result is greater separation between a fixed income and buying what's needed.
Redistribution of wealth is a great thing, isn't it?

Roger

They did that to get around FVF Final Value Fees. Now I believe eBay charges FVF on shipping too.

I once bought a case of 400 each foam Small Ammo Trays ( 1 case ) and the price was 80.00. Weight wise the cardboard box felt like it was completely empty and the cost for the frieght to get to my place was 42.79 and that was back in 2013.

They also consider volume, not just weight.

I ordered 4 Flame Tamers from Nexgrill on Aug 3, (that is when it was taken of the Visa) and had them in my hands on Aug 6 at 1:22 in the afternoon. And for that they charge me $39.00. They were shipped from Connecticut U.S.A. to London ON Canada, that included shipping, coming across the border. I have no respondance.

Many companies make a profit center out of their shipping department, adding fees.
UPS fees are dependent on weight and volume of the package. They offer discounts to companies that use their service, so what ever the company charges over their cost is profit.

My son had a company making steel shooting targets, steel is heavy, and our freight bills were quite high, however we only charged whatever we were charged by UPS. This kept the delivered cost at a minimum for the customer. Every year, UPS sends out a new price list, and it was always a few % higher. That really multiplies after a few years of increases.

Also, the UPS "stores" charge 10 to 15% more than the UPS "list" prices, so if you can go to an actual UPS terminal, your shipping costs are lower than at the UPS "store"

I review the shipping costs whenever I buy online, and I hate it when people like Midway say they are shipping UPS, but they use the USPS as a final delivery service. It adds a couple days to my delivery.

It’s quite simple really.....pay attention.
The vast majority of what I but online usually entails several options.
I buy a fair amount on Ebay.....free shipping on most.
If You come across something with foolish charges, look elsewhere...usually a better choice.
Bulky, odd dimensioned stuff......you’re stuck.

Many companies make a profit center out of their shipping department, adding fees.
UPS fees are dependent on weight and volume of the package. They offer discounts to companies that use their service, so what ever the company charges over their cost is profit.

My son had a company making steel shooting targets, steel is heavy, and our freight bills were quite high, however we only charged whatever we were charged by UPS. This kept the delivered cost at a minimum for the customer. Every year, UPS sends out a new price list, and it was always a few % higher. That really multiplies after a few years of increases.

Also, the UPS "stores" charge 10 to 15% more than the UPS "list" prices, so if you can go to an actual UPS terminal, your shipping costs are lower than at the UPS "store"

I review the shipping costs whenever I buy online, and I hate it when people like Midway say they are shipping UPS, but they use the USPS as a final delivery service. It adds a couple days to my delivery.

Does UPS give a discount to the stores for selling their shipping services? if not then the 10-15% is the store's cut in order to keep the doors open.

I was recently looking for "leupold style" scope ring bases for a Marlin MR7, aka Win 70 post '64 bases. I first look at OpticPlanets, found what I wish for $20 but OP was asking $42 for the cheapest USPS choice.

I tried other shops in the US but exporting, even scope bases, is still a no-no for many.

I finally found Warne stell bases in a shop in Canada. Material cost was almost the same and shipping cost was CAN$20.

As usual, it tooks a little week to go from Nowhere, Ontario, to Paris, France. And I am yet waiting my bases for 2 weeks.

I'm always mindful of shipping costs.

But shipping costs are always cheaper than driving there to get it. ;)

Good shootin'. -Al

To me, shipping can be a game changer in where I buy. I look at the total cost, and many times the shipping can be the deciding factor. Companies that use UPS, they have a minimum change regardless of size or weight, used to be $9.95 but probably higher now. I rarely buy from MSC for that reason anymore, I can order from McMasterCarr and they will drop the same small thing in a padded envelope and ship for a few bucks.

Back