Rimrock R&M vs. SG&Y BR-X

Chocolate Moose

I have been trying to find info about the Robertson Rimrock R&M Pattern stock that Borden Rifles use, and the SG&Y BR-X.

I have found info on them both, with pictures, but I'm not able to see any differencies :eek:

Can anyone tell me if these are basically the same stock? If it is not, what's the difference?

Lets try looking at them side by side. I flipped the picture of the SGY (the bottom picture) to make comparison easier.
Robertson_Rimrock_R_M_Black_silver_a2-copy.jpg

BenchRestL500x76-copy.jpg

Last edited:
They are not identical. Look a little closer. It looks to me like the Borden stock's grip is a little farther forward, the wrist thicker, and the comb higher. Depending on your shooting style, and hand size, these could make a difference. I am sure that excellent rifles can be built using either one. Obviously they have a common ancestor.

OK, thank you again for answering, and for pointing out the details that I didn't notice :eek:

The reason why I ask, is that I am buying a Borden rifle with the R&M pattern stock, but I have never tried shooting with that stock. A friend of mine has a rifle with a Bat action in a BR-X. I have tried his rifle, and I like it very much. Compared to my old HV rifle with McMillan stock (an old rifle made by Seely Masker) it's much "wider" just behind the action, where I usually put my thumb... :D (sorry for not knowing the correct terms :eek:)

Whoa Nellie !

Chocolatey Moose,
I'm not 100% shure about this, but kinda think the Borden R&M stock is an older design, similar to the Kelbly SPG & BR ,and not a lot different than the old McMillan. They have a rounded bottom that rides the rear bag .The Borden Rimrock is a low rider(Adamovich) style, similar to the Speedy BRX,That has a flat bottom that rides the rear bag . You better call Jim Borden and eliminate any confusion. I think the pictures Boyd sent you are of the Rimrock and BR-X,not the Borden R&M !
joel

Apples and Oranges

The fact is, both of these designs are proven winners. These, (and a whole host of these new design stocks), are direct decendents of the Borden Adamovich, which I still think is one of the finest designs ever produced.
All three of my Bag Guns are built on the BRX. I really like them. They ride the bags phenominally well, and are stiff and straight.
What much of this comes down to is the same as with actions. We have so many to choose from, it just about comes down to personal choice. Any of the fine stocks being produced now can be part of a winning Benchrest Rifle.........jackie

Last edited:
Thank you very much for all answers!

Looks like I'm going to be satisfied with my choice - if my groups get bigger, it wouldn't be because of a bad stock ;)

Back