Rimfire Benchrest rifles (Calfee SPEC rifles)

The Georgia Shaker SPEC 9.

The Georgia Shaker has the most colorful and tragic history of any rifle I know.

This story has been told before but it is worth repeating. If I have some of the details wrong or I've overlooked something please post your remarks here.

When Bill Calfee built Georgia Shaker for Emery Smith it was a master piece. Emery took it down to Florida and immediately set a state IR 50/50 record with it.

But as many new owners do they think there is more to be had. Emery with help from friends took the rifle down to the "Barn" in North Carolina and proceeded to tune it.

The tuning didn't help, as a matter of fact Emery lost all confidence in the rifle.

Emery called Calfee and told him he thought the barrel went bad.

Calfee replaced the barrel but that didn't help. Still didn't shoot as Emery thought it should.

Emery enlisted the help of another well known gunsmith who looked at the gun and claimed the ignition was the problem.

So here is where the story gets extreme. They took a Flash Turbo pin around spring (PAS) actioned rifle and converted it to a spring around pin (SAP) ignition action.

This was no small undertaking. It was very hard to do. Not to mention so very very stupid. There is a lesson to be learned here.

Guys will go to the end of the earth to make a benchrest rifle to shoot, and these guys did.

But it was all in vane it just wouldn't shoot. This once highly prized, one of seven in the world, Calfee Spec rifles was ruined.

The rifle disappeared for a long time until William Casey bought it. He had Richard Gorham use other Turbo parts to put it back to PAS ignition. But for whatever reason Casey never shot the rifle much.

Casey has recently sent the Shaker to Jeff Patterson for a make over.

Jeff has fit a taper lapped Shilen Octagon barrel, repainted the stock and installed bumpers. The rifle looks amazing.

The first groups out of this rifle are just as amazing.

I think we are about to hear a lot more about this Georgia Shaker rifle.

Note: William Casey is the owner of Chickenfoot rifle range. When you are at Chickenfoot take a look at the Shaker it's worth a glance.

The lesson I mentioned is simply this. When you receive a new build shoot it enough to really know it. There is a learning curve with every rifle. Find good ammo for it. Don't be too quick to start fixing things.

georgia shaker SPEC 9.jpg GS3.jpg

TKH

Mike Sherrill wins the Georgia State ARA and Chickfoot Club Tournaments

Last year (2020) Mike Sherrill won the Georgia State ARA Tournament. Today he won it again, shooting Black Death (Calfee SPEC 5).

Just to put a foot note on it he also won the Chickenfoot club tournament.

These two tournaments serve as warm ups for next weekends Professional Shooting League (PSL) and ARA Indoor Nationals tournaments.

These are two of the most important matches of the winter season.

I would never try to predict who will win next weekend's matches but it's for sure, Mike wore them out this weekend.

Congrats Mike, great shooting.

Looks like that ole Calfee SPEC rifle is still giving them helllll.

TKH (4628)

Mike Sherrill wins the 2021 ARA Indoor Nationals

Today Mike Sherrill won the ARA Indoor Nationals shooting Black Death.

Black Death (AKA) Calfee SPEC 5.

Mike winning isn't very surprising. He does that a lot. A little more surprising is Black Death was built more than 10 years ago and still winning.

Great shooting Mike!!!! You the man!!!

black death 2.jpg

Congratulations on your 2022 ARA Texas State Championship.

Larry Parsons is back at it.

He won the club match and the 2022 ARA Texas State Championship today.

Paladin is still killing it.

Congratulations, Larry

Flash Ebert The Turbo Rimfire Action

Larry Parsons was kind enough to send me this picture he took of Flash Ebert's grave.

As most know Flash created what is now known as the Turbo Rimfire Action. This action, in all of it's configurations is the winningest RFBR action ever created.

One can argue that the current Di Orio production is the best of the best and I wouldn't argue with that but the original Flash style Turbos are still winning.

You have to look no further than Larry Parsons and Paladin.

There have been many individual's that have made RFBR what it is today. Flash is right up there at the top of that list.

Flash, we miss you buddy.

TKH (4628)

Flash.jpg

Last edited:
Larry Parsons is back at it.

He won the club match and the 2022 ARA Texas State Championship today.

Paladin is still killing it.

Congratulations, Larry

Just got back from Midland, the wind conditions were horrible, from 25 to 30 mph. Congratulations to Larry Parsons, Texas State Winner, but to show how bad the wind was, his high card score was 1900-5x and total score 11050-39x
I was lucky and came in second with a total score of 10900-37x almost got him but my first card got me.
Sunday's match was almost a repeat of Saturday.
Evelio.

I had the good fortune

Larry Parsons was kind enough to send me this picture he took of Flash Ebert's grave.

As most know Flash created what is now known as the Turbo Rimfire Action. This action, in all of it's configurations is the winningest RFBR action ever created.

One can argue that the current Di Orio production is the best of the best and I wouldn't argue with that but the original Flash style Turbos are still winning.

You have to look no further than Larry Parsons and Paladin.

There have been many individual's that have made RFBR what it is today. Flash is right up there at the top of that list.

Flash, we miss you buddy.

TKH (4628)

View attachment 25373

Of visiting Flash and he giving me a tour of his shop. Gene Beggs took me there when I was out to visit him and shoot in his tunnel.

Pete

Larry Got DJ`s two Calfee Rifles Spec 13 & The Black Rifle! Flash told him to do it and he did!

I spoke to Larry last night and he said he talked to DJ. DJ told him he had hardly shot Carolina Gold. Said the old black gun was so good he used it.

I understand Carolina Gold is going straight to Jeff Patterson and Bill Calfee for a check up. It will be interesting to see what they think of this very special rifle.

TKH (4628)

1Carolina Gold 2 1.jpgcarolina gold.jpgCarolina_Gold_1.jpg

Last edited:
Parsons and Paladin in Paducah!

If Paducah got the weather that came that came through my little part of Kentucky earlier, it had to have been tough shooting conditions.

Five out of five wins so far this year ain't bad!

And with Parsons acquiring ANOTHER Calfee Spec rifle, along with another Calfee that's not a Spec rifle, how far can he go?

Take care,

Greg

Congratulations Larry "Paladin" Parsons....

Friend Larry "Paladin" Parsons:

Congratulations on your 6 Card Club Match win today in Paducah, Kentucky.

To kick out a 2241.666 Agg in that cold and wind is amazing....

And you won 4 of the 6 targets outright, to boot......

Larry, you've competed in 5 Matches this year and won them all....and all in double tough conditions....

If my math is correct that's 100%.....

View attachment 4550

Your LBK and pistol fool friend, Bill Calfee

Calfee SPEC 7 Paladin

For the last year we have seen what Larry Parsons has done with Paladin. He has champagned the rifle across the country and set ARA point records with it.

He is a threat everywhere he shoots with Paladin.

With that said Larry, just had a new barrel put on Paladin.

Alan Belvins did the work. Alan has worked on some of the best rifles in the country.

Larry says he has as much confidence in the rifle now as he has ever had.

Many believe the heart and soul of a rifle is the barrel. We will be watching closely how Paladin performs in the future.

TKH (4628)

Parsons and Paladin AGAIN!

This seems like a pretty potent team.....

Take care,

Greg

"Congratulations Larry "Paladin" Parsons....
Congratulations Larry "Paladin" Parsons....

Friend Larry "Paladin" Parsons:

Congratulations on your 2022, ARA Area 4 Championship today in Wisconsin.

Larry, what an X count advantage you had over that field......X's is accuracy....

I mean, you covered that field of 41 shooters by 8 X's, which put you in a different Zipp Code...

And Paladin was built 14 years ago and is still killing it....

Your LBK and pistol fool friend, Bill Calfee"

Larry Parsons and Paladin

Well, here I go again congratulating Larry on another major win.

This time it was the 2022 area 4 ARA tournament in Wisconsin this weekend.

I guess the fact Larry won with Paladin isn't big news to anyone. Larry wins often.

The big news is Larry put the original barrel back on Paladin for this tournament.

Guess one could call this "getting the band back together again". (OK, that might not have been that good, but I thought it was cute).

Congrats Larry!!

TKH (4628)

Parsons and Paladin.....

Parsons and Paladin doin' work!

I sorta think it would take a pretty penny to pry that rifle out of his hands.
Take care,

Greg

"A mind blowing performance in Texas today...
A mind blowing performance in Texas today...

Seekers of rimfire accuracy advancement:

Larry "Paladin" Parsons turned in a mind blowing performance in Texas today......actually mind blowing is an understatement.

The Texas field of 14 included such notables as Marion Collier, Norman Flynn and Eddie "PSL 12000 Club" Robertson......

Now get this......

In that Texas wind Larry "Paladin" Parsons Agg'd 2391.........

He covered that talented Texas field by 725 points....

And produced 90 X's in that wind.........which covered the field by 15 X's....

Larry won five of the six cards outright.....

And that ain't all....

Larry "Paladin " Parsons also kicked out a 2500 in that Texas wind...

Oh, before someone asks, yes, Paladin was all Paladin.........

Congratulations Larry "Paladin" Parsons on your mind blowing ARA Club Tournament Championship today in Texas.

You were in your own Zipp Code......again

Name: Paladin in black - Copy (4).jpg
Views: 20
Size: 46.5 KB

Your LBK and pistol fool friend, Bill Calfee

PS: Larry told me he was holding on, or outside, the 25 ring all day the wind was so bad....

I forgot to mention....there were four 2400 or better scores fired in that Texas wind.....Larry produced them all, two 2400's a 2450 and the 2500.......mind blowing is an understatement..."

I commend Larry for his hard work and effort, and it certainly shows. He told me himself that he literally shoots a brick of ammo every day. That's a level of commitment that's not possible for most people and one of envy to the few that can even claim that much desire, much less the time and money to do so. It's hard to outward anyone willing and able to do what he does. If he continues to do that, he'll stay at the top until he dies or gets bored with it. He works harder and travels more than anyone I've ever known. I commend him for that, for sure. If anyone wants to know how you win at benchrest, he's THE example for what it takes. He may re-write the record books in short order.

I commend Larry for his hard work and effort, and it certainly shows. He told me himself that he literally shoots a brick of ammo every day. That's a level of commitment that's not possible for most people and one of envy to the few that can even claim that much desire, much less the time and money to do so. It's hard to outward anyone willing and able to do what he does. If he continues to do that, he'll stay at the top until he dies or gets bored with it. He works harder and travels more than anyone I've ever known. I commend him for that, for sure. If anyone wants to know how you win at benchrest, he's THE example for what it takes. He may re-write the record books in short order.

I believe he already has set new records starting last year with the most cards in a year. I remember Larry saying when a lot drops a shot for a 50, he puts that aside and goes on to the next. he also told me when he sees a shooter at a match fiddling with the tuner on his rifle, he knows he got them.
he is of the set and forget shooters.

Lee

I believe he already has set new records starting last year with the most cards in a year. I remember Larry saying when a lot drops a shot for a 50, he puts that aside and goes on to the next. he also told me when he sees a shooter at a match fiddling with the tuner on his rifle, he knows he got them.
he is of the set and forget shooters.

Lee

That's another subject. Changing lots is like changing loads...well, exactly like changing loads. Isn't that exactly how cf shooters all tuned before tuners became popular in cf?

That's another subject. Changing lots is like changing loads...well, exactly like changing loads. Isn't that exactly how cf shooters all tuned before tuners became popular in cf?

Nope he does it because it didn't meet the standards to do what he is doing. if it failed duirng testing it may do it during a match. nothing to do with tuning,
you can keep pushing that adjusting a tuner for a lot of ammo is what is the correct thing to do but if a rifle can shoot the way Paladin can it would be foolish to adjust the tuner to compensate for a lot that didn't meet the standards of lots that did. all you are doing is masking the performance of an inferior lot.

Lee

Nope he does it because it didn't meet the standards to do what he is doing. if it failed duirng testing it may do it during a match. nothing to do with tuning,
you can keep pushing that adjusting a tuner for a lot of ammo is what is the correct thing to do but if a rifle can shoot the way Paladin can it would be foolish to adjust the tuner to compensate for a lot that didn't meet the standards of lots that did. all you are doing is masking the performance of an inferior lot.

Lee

You're following me around trying to start crap but you're not arguing with me...you're arguing with physics. It's not my fault you don't have enough sense to know that. I've tried.

Back