Rimfire Benchrest rifles (Calfee SPEC rifles)

Mr. Tony I have nothing but respect for what you have done in this sport. You asked the million dollar question. At this point where the rifle isn't even close to the original version, when it does do well who really should get the credit. I would have to say that it should be Todd Wooten. Regardless of who worked on it and whatever changes have been made he still had to make the shots. As to the credit for the gunsmith work, it's now a conglomeration where it's a question as to who deserves the credit. I was just pointing out that once something has been changed that much from its original condition, it can't really be considered a original anymore.

Mr. Tony I have nothing but respect for what you have done in this sport. You asked the million dollar question. At this point where the rifle isn't even close to the original version, when it does do well who really should get the credit. I would have to say that it should be Todd Wooten. Regardless of who worked on it and whatever changes have been made he still had to make the shots. As to the credit for the gunsmith work, it's now a conglomeration where it's a question as to who deserves the credit. I was just pointing out that once something has been changed that much from its original condition, it can't really be considered a original anymore.

We should never minimize the shooter. He/she is absolutely the most important part of the entire shooting equation.

When you work your way through a card and are making hundreds of decisions about your point of aim and you finally fire that last round for a really good target there is no doubt in your mind who deserves the credit.

Of course other shooters want to say "well he had the better ammo, barrel, rifle, bench, or relay". We have all heard it.

But on the other hand, when you have done all the right things, made exactly the right decisions, and watched round after round go somewhere other than where intended.

You know you can't get it done without a great rifle and great ammo.

Lets face it RFBR is a hard game, everyone should enjoy the wins they get.

All that said, I think the Calfee Spec rifles are unique in the sport, and their winning record regardless of the format, deserves recognition.

TKH

2020 Professional Shooting League (PSL) Main Event - Todd Wooten Wins!

Todd Wooten / Merlin Spec 4 not only won the 2020 PSL Main Event he did it with a fantastic score. Todd agged. 2408 over the three PSL targets.

If you have ever shot a PSL target you know that is simply killing it.

Congrats Todd!!!!

TKH

Dirty Poole!!!! Open letter to Paul Tolvstad

Paul,

I'm sure you know I've been trying to get Bill Calfee to build one more Spec rifle. Namely the Virginian, or Night Train, or whatever. But he has ducked it at every corner.

I'm also sure you know Bill wants a rather special barrel for his pistol. Now this is where you come in.

If you, like me, think the world will be a better place with at least one more spec rifle, you hold the leverage that just might make that happen.

Do you see where I'm going with this?

Yea, it may be dirty poole, but sometimes you have to push a little.

TKH

Tack Driver Experimental (TDX) is DEAD!

I have very sad (for me) news. TDX my 10.5lb Calfee rifle is dead. Well at least the barrel is.

I know this is a Spec rifle thread and I respect that, but TDX is as close to a Spec rifle as I've ever been able to get.

When TDX was originally built it had the famous jeweling (engine turning) over the entire action. Just like Spec rifles.

When I got it I may have been guilty of displaying it as a Spec rifle. I never actually told anyone that it was but I made sure they saw that beautiful jeweling.

As luck would have it things didn't go well. I was still shooting Tack Driver, and I didn't think TDX was measuring up.

After awhile I got up the nerve to discuss it with Calfee. He said send it back and I'll look at it. He did what ever he did and finally sent it back.

When it came back the jewelling was gone, but it shot like a house on fire. I was so happy with how it shot I never said a word about the jewelling.

That rifle in my opinion has been the most successful RFBR rifle of all time. No rifle has ever won as much as TDX and I mean at every level.

Yes, there have been and still are rifles that have shot higher scores, and higher aggs.

But none have won more National, Regional, and state matches, or accounted for more Hall of Fame Points than TDX.

I've known for the last two years TDX wasn't what it once was. But it has been my only rifle that makes the 10.5 lb. requirements for IR 50 three gun events.

I've had so much confidence in the rifle I think I was able to get better scores from the rifle than I could have from any other.

But after the IR 50 Three gun Nationals this year I finally decided to give it a good look over. I removed the barrel so I could take a very good look at it.

I found the lead was all but gone and it looked to be damaged at 12 o clock. Now that surprised me I thought the damage or wear would be at 6 o clock.

The leade was gone at 6 o clock but the rifling was still there. I then realized I had not shot the barrel out, I had cleaned it to death.

I don't know how many rounds have been down the barrel so I will not guess but it have been many. The barrel owes me nothing at this point so I can't cry.

Well, I can, because this rifle has been a very big part of my life for nearly 10 years. Anyway I sent the barrel to Calfee and asked him to look at it.

He did, and pronounced it dead on arrival. I was hoping for a simple de glazing but not in this case.

I may cut it off and try in a shorter version but I haven't yet.

I have re barreled TDX and it is shooting , I think? We will see next season.

Should I rename it, since it is no longer complete, or keep the name.

TKH

ARA Turbo

Tony,

I thought I might show some pictures taken 16 years apart. My son, Michael and I went out and shot on Thankgiving day

Yes it still exists in original form

Attachments

• 0A0AC72F-7468-4F66-B038-41484E667205.jpeg
    0A0AC72F-7468-4F66-B038-41484E667205.jpeg
    272.5 KB · Views: 504
  • 965046C3-7BEB-4B9C-86A9-0F75CBE619FB.jpeg
    965046C3-7BEB-4B9C-86A9-0F75CBE619FB.jpeg
    351 KB · Views: 515
Tony,

I thought I might show some pictures taken 16 years apart. My son, Michael and I went out and shot on Thankgiving day

Yes it still exists in original form

Kirk,

Thanks for posting the pics. Pretty special when a competition rifle is still around and kicking after 16 years.

It is even more special to have a son that still wants to shoot with Dad during the holidays.

TKH

Spec 7, Paladin, still winning with Bruce Doster doing the driving!

Great shooting Bruce.

TKH
Paladin in black - Copy (4).jpg

Last edited:
Hold the press!!!!! We may have a new series of SPEC rifles coming!!!!!

I just heard Jeff Patterson is going to build his new series of spec rifles in the same vein as Calfee built his.

Rumor has it that they will include full action jewelling just like Calfee put on his.

I have no information on when they will become available or how to get one but I'll post that info when I get it.

In the mean time if anyone has more info please post it here!

TKH

Calfee Rifles in like new condition

I just read on the Calfee channel that someone had found a 17 year old Calfee Turbo rifle in like new condition.

Bill went on to say that there were more out there. He claimed he built about 240 Turbos and many were never seen in competition.

Question: Would these rifles be competitive today?

I believe they would. I know if I see one, and the owner is willing to part with it for a reasonable price, I would be all over it.

TKH

I just read on the Calfee channel that someone had found a 17 year old Calfee Turbo rifle in like new condition.

Bill went on to say that there were more out there. He claimed he built about 240 Turbos and many were never seen in competition.

Question: Would these rifles be competitive today?

I believe they would. I know if I see one, and the owner is willing to part with it for a reasonable price, I would be all over it.

TKH

Be interesting to see what barrel is on it. Come’on Harper, put your detective hat on.:confused:

Be interesting to see what barrel is on it. Come’on Harper, put your detective hat on.:confused:

Been really tight lipped about it. It will come out sooner or later if this guy shoots it anywhere.

I bet it has a Lilja. They were "The Barrel" back then.

TKH

Calfee Spec rifles just keep on winning!

Congrats to Bruce Doster 2021, ARA Louisiana State Indoor Champion.

Paladin in black - Copy (4) (1).jpgPaladin in black - Copy (4) (1).jpg

TKH

Last edited:
Calfee SPEC Rifle update!

Larry Parsons just bought Paladin.

Bruce Doster show cased this rifle well, but now we will see what Larry can do with it.

Good luck Larry!!!!

TKH
Paladin in black - Copy (4) (2).jpg

Last edited:
Spec 5, AKA "Black Death" was just shot by Mike Sherrill as he became the 2021 IR-50 Outdoor 10-SHOT National Champion with a score of 506.

Another win!

Congrats to Todd Wooten 2021 ARA Virginia State Champion! "MERLIN"SPEC 4"!

Yet again another Calfee Spec rifle with a great shooter best the best at the 2021 Virginia state ARA tournament.

Congrats Todd

TKH
Todd Wooten PSL 2019 Kettlefoot champ.jpg

Last edited:
Larry Parsons wins the PSL portion of the Triple Crown with Paladin SPEC 7

Well it didn't take long for Larry to show us what he plans to do with Paladin.

Great shooting Larry. Congrats!

TKH /B]

PS: What is up with these SPEC rifles this week????

Last edited:
Back