Rimfire Benchrest rifles (Calfee SPEC rifles)

Black Death SPEC 5

I still think that is a terrible name. Just too spooky for me. But one can't deny how effective it has been at slaughtering the competition.

If you look at the pic you can see Black Death does not have the engine turning (jewelling) that most of the other Spec rifles had.

I guess with a name like that Bill didn't want to make it too pretty.

There is another Spec rifle that didn't have the jewelling. I'm trying to get a pic of it.

Here is Black Death: Black Death.jpg

TKH

Black Death

I still think that is a terrible name. Just too spooky for me. But one can't deny how effective it has been at slaughtering the competition.

If you look at the pic you can see Black Death does not have the engine turning (jewelling) that most of the other Spec rifles had.

I guess with a name like that Bill didn't want to make it too pretty.

There is another Spec rifle that didn't have the jewelling. I'm trying to get a pic of it.

Here is Black Death: View attachment 23576

TKH

Just for you Tony...

Attachments

• DSCF0558.JPG
    DSCF0558.JPG
    935 KB · Views: 937
Rembrandt - Glen Hartjes

Rembrandt is one of the most beautiful RFBR rifles I've ever seen. It is not a Calfee Spec rifle but it is a Calfee rifle.

I can't really describe just how pretty this rifle is but just ask anyone that has seen it. They will all say Wow! it is beautiful.

For a bench rest rifle beauty is only skin deep.

But Rembrandt isn't just pretty.

Glen has shot a 2500 ARA target at the ARA Indoors Nationals, and a IR 50/50 card of 250 23Xs at the Triple Crown.

That is getting it done when it counts.

TKH

Attachments

• Rembrandt.jpg
    Rembrandt.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 902
Hey Tony,
Correct you are, Glen's rifle is a thing of beauty! I remember the first time I saw it, 2016 Iowa State ARA tournament at Voelker's club. Could hardly keep my eyes off of it.

Hope to see you in Pontiac later in the summer.

Later.....Scott

Carolina Gold Spec 13

This is the only pic I have of Spec 13. It was colorful to say the least. Now I see why Bill did not engine turn (jewel) the action.

If anyone has better pics please post them.

TKH

carolina gold.jpg

Merlin at it again!

Todd Wooten won the 2020 Va. State (yards) tournament with Merlin.

Some rifles and shooters just keep on going, going, and going.

Congrats Todd!

TKH

Merlin 1.jpg merlin 2.jpg

Spec 7 "Palladin" has NewOwners!

Bruce & Noah bought Palladin Spec 7 from Mr Haney yesterday ! Going to Arkansas! This looks like a sign Bruce & Noah are coming back into 22RFBR !

Bruce & Noah bought Palladin Spec 7 from Mr Haney yesterday ! Going to Arkansas! This looks like a sign Bruce & Noah are coming back into 22RFBR !

Just when you think it is safe to go back in the water (RFBR) all these Spec rifles start showing up!!!!

TKH

SPEC 10, The Viriginian

When will we see this rifle? Will we see this rifle?

Summer is getting on if this thing is going to get built it is time to get it done!!!

If Bill gets busy he could have this thing born on the 4th of July. That has a good ring to it.

Come on Bill, it is time to get busy!

TKH

When will we see this rifle? Will we see this rifle?

Summer is getting on if this thing is going to get built it is time to get it done!!!

If Bill gets busy he could have this thing born on the 4th of July. That has a good ring to it.

Come on Bill, it is time to get busy!

TKH

We have a new and exciting opportunity.

It has just been made public that Ivan Wells has teamed up with Mike Bush and Company to create an all out true bench rest rifle action and build it into a full up benchrest rifle.

At this same time we have Bill Calfee procrastinating about building a New Spec rifle. Spec 10, The Virginian.

Would it be exciting if these two rifles could compete against each other in September at the ARA Nationals.

Mike Bush and Ivan Wells are both young and energetic. I have every confidence they will be able to complete their rifle in time to make the Nationals.

Bill, on the other hand I'm not so sure. He is old and lazy, so he may not be up to the task. If not, would it be fair to put up another Calfee rifle in the place of The Virginian??

That is one match that would be worth the drive to St. Louie to see!!!!

TKH

Last edited:
Merlin Spec 4, Bullet Pro 150

Congratulations to Todd Wooten for winning the Inaugural Bullet Pro 150 with Spec 4, Merlin.

As always Todd great shooting. Enjoy the win.

TKH

toddbullet pro150.jpgsp4t.jpgsp4t2.jpg

Last edited:
Those Calfee Spec rifles just keep going and going and going.

Todd Wooten shooting Merlin Spec 4. won the PSL today. That is no surprise.

Noah Johns came in third shooting Paladin Spec 7.

Those were the only two Spec rifles in the match. I guess that was all that was needed.

TKH

spec 4.jpg

paladin 1.jpg

Last edited:
Taking credit for building the rifle in its current configuration would be like taking a early seventy model Vega, adding a tube chassis, a big block chevrolet motor and aftermarket transmission, along with a narrowed rear and bigger tires, and acting like it was an original Vega. Totally irrational and unrealistic.

Last edited:
Taking credit for building the rifle in its current configuration would be like taking a early seventy model Vega, adding a tube chassis, a big block chevrolet motor and aftermarket transmission, along with a narrowed rear and bigger tires, and acting like it was an original Vega. Totally irrational and unrealistic.

Hold up there cowboy. I have never taken credit for any Calfee rifle. I just report the results.

So don't preach to me. If your boys don't win, and didn't win, not my fault.

TKH

I don't think anyone has a problem with Calfee taking credit for any victories his rifles produced when they were in their original configuration. The problem comes when the rifle has a new barrel done by a different gunsmith, a different stock with new bedding and who knows what else, and Calfee and you still call it a Calfee rifle. Bill still seems to want credit for the victories. It's really rather sad. His reputation in the rimfire world is unquestionable. He doesn't need to try to remain in spotlight by taking credit for building something that is no longer close to the original version. As to my people winning or not winning, I don't have any people. It's doesn’t make me any difference who wins.

I don't think anyone has a problem with Calfee taking credit for any victories his rifles produced when they were in their original configuration. The problem comes when the rifle has a new barrel done by a different gunsmith, a different stock with new bedding and who knows what else, and Calfee and you still call it a Calfee rifle. Bill still seems to want credit for the victories. It's really rather sad. His reputation in the rimfire world is unquestionable. He doesn't need to try to remain in spotlight by taking credit for building something that is no longer close to the original version. As to my people winning or not winning, I don't have any people. It's doesn’t make me any difference who wins.

drknite,

I started this thread because of my appreciation for the SPEC series of rifles Calfee built.

They were unique in many ways when they were built. They have been the most successful series of competition rifles ever to my knowledge.

If you know who or whom to credit for the changes that have been made to those rifles over time here is the place to do it.

TKH

Back