Rem 40-X ?

Jackie, guess that barrel has a lot to do with it, thought about how foolish after I sent reply. I always was led to believe that the 40x was a more superb action though. Guess the trigger didnt hurt either.

Heyyyy Jackie!

Howdy!
My 40x, and both 700s are all three repeaters. That being the case, am I correct in understanding that the 40x would be no stronger than the 700s due to not being a single shot?

I appeciate the info and the help!

Greg

One more little point, that I am sure that Jackie is well aware of....

The amount of load on the lower lug abutment is directly proportional to bolt thrust, which is, all other things being equal (which they often are not) relates very closely to case head area. Bigger head, same pressure, more thrust, so my old hart barreled .222 is probably not going to show much difference from a magazine cut in lower lug abutment give, but a larger diameter case just might, depending on the pressure of the load.

40x

I have a 40x in a BR rifle and a 700x in 22-250. The 40x is a stouter action than a 700x. Look at Germans's picture of his 40x and compare that to a 700x you will see the difference in the stoutness of the 40x compared to a 700x. Some of todays Custom actions are clones of the 40x.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR
Thanks for that .Bruce

Dyer Bullets

Bruce, thanks for the information on the 1:14" with the Dyer. There are a lot of people who would like to see that bullet imported to the US, it has an excellent reputation.

I use H4895 in my .308 loads too. Varget just doesn't work as well for me, and I just am not comfortable with 47 grains in a .308 case! I'm glad we have a good alternative. Thanks again!
They are a very good bullet i think he is selling them in New Zealand now, i just use my as they come out of the box. Bruce

40 x

Hey Guys,
Back in 1976 I ordered a 40 X from my local gun shop,this gun came with a Stainless barrel and Walnut stock chambered for 223 instead of 222,more brass and components avaible.When I got the gun it had a Rem 2oz trigger.I then mounted a Redfield 24x with the plan to shoot Groundhogs in Northern West Virginia.
The gun had a factory test target showing 3 ,3 shot groups all in the mid 2's.this was shot with IMR 4895,Rem 7 1/2 primers and Rem 52 gr BR bullets.
This turned out to be a great varmint rifle.
Now for the question,was this a Hart SS barrel or a Rem factory barrel?
Thanks for any info,
Nick Loy

Remington has only recently, 2009? begun to use Hart bbls.(in their Custom shop Tactical Models).
The only other exception where they used a premium out-sourced barrel, was on the model 504 rimfire. In order to try to save this models reputation , Shilen barrels were used in the 22 cal.

This info is on Rem's website dated 2010:
Model XM-3 Tactical comes with Hart bbl AND Nightforce scope.
Also, the Model 547 Rimfire ( replacement for the 504) comes with a Shilen bbl......avail. from Custom Shop only.

Hi John! The 1:14" twist was common for many years with British Fullbore/Palma shooters and it will definitely stabilize the Sierra 155 (2155). Many people shot that bullet with Schultz & Larsen 1:14" twist barrels (a friend has a few of those barrels for sale right now if anyone is interested).

The other bullets, all of which are longer than the old 2155 are closer to the tipping point. They might and they might not stabilize in a 1:14" twist barrel. Length, as you know, is the critical factor and all of those are longer than the 2155.

There is one other element of your question, though: the distance to the target. Generally speaking, bullets become more stable as they go further because the rate of linear velocity decay is far greater than the rotational velocity decay. The only fly in the ointment is when you approach the transonic velocity region (say 1300 fps to be safe). Until you hit that point (which you won't at 500 yards) stability will not deteriorate. The nice part about knowing that is that you can do some initial testing at 100 yards. If the rifle will shoot well there, you know you won't have a stability problem.

I'm very interested in knowing how the newer bullets shoot for you in the 1:14" barrel when you have a chance to try them - let us know!

Thank You for the response German! I will let you know if my factory 1 in 14" twist will stabilize the longer 155's.

Bob used to sell a rifle that he called the "Poor Man's PPC", Remington Varmint Specials that were converted to single shot.22PPCs. (I had been under the impression that Nelson Berger did the setback, rechamber, bolt face and extractor work.) They were bedded as single shots, with single shot loading ramps, and a wood filler epoxied in the magazine mortise, in the stock. In an old issue of Precision Shooting, Bob, or someone who had interviewed him (I forget.) wrote that he had kept track of how much accuracy improvement was achieved by each of changes from the rifles' original configuration. He reported that gluing a filler block in the stock, and bedding the action as a single shot gave the greatest increase. I found this surprising and interesting. Could it be that some of the advantage that is attributed to solid bottom actions is actually the result of greater stock stability in the bedding area?

It was interesting reading Del's post, which added more detail to what I already knew (or thought that I knew).

In addition to selling Benchrest related merchandise (He was a regular advertiser in PS) he also wrote, published and sold "how to" information relating to the sport. I forget the title. Does anyone have this material? I would be interested in reading a review of how it stands up, and what has changed, all these years later. I would like too see a copy.

I may have one of those modified rifles. It is Rem 700 varmint barrel. 6mm Rem. 24 inch blue barrel, approx 7/8 muzzle. repeater, with wood filler where the magazine would go. It has an older BR(?) stock that with beveled forend. Also has the filler block glued into the stock. The rifle is in amazing condition. I have not set it up with scope or bases yet. Always been curious about it. This rifle appears to be set up as described above. Workmanship and stock made me think it may have been put together at factory, or somewhere using factory machinery or very high end gunshop.

Rem 40XB

Remington 40XB (2).jpg
I bought my Rem 40XB in .22-250 new in 1972 off the shelf at my local gun shop for $250 and the Unertle 15X Ultra Varmint scope for $150. I paid $50 per month for 8 months. Still has the original barrel and still shot in the 4's the last time I shot it. Sold the Unertle scope. It now sits in the back of the safe with the Canjar trigger I put in around 1990.

are any of the 40x series as accurate as a custom bench gun? No
are they worth going to all the expense to make them br competitive? No
will a 6x47 compete with a 6 ppc? No
are the a pleasure to shoot and own a bit of history? Yes
here is one re-chambered by nelson berger in 22 ppc. It will not out shoot any of my benchrest rifles but i'll never sell it because i love it. There is just no accounting for some peoples taste.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r283/40x/40xbr.jpg
what you say maybe true but i won n b r s a unl and i b s unl natls with 40 x all big dogs were there .

Bob Pease material

Bob used to sell a rifle that he called the "Poor Man's PPC", Remington Varmint Specials that were converted to single shot.22PPCs. (I had been under the impression that Nelson Berger did the setback, rechamber, bolt face and extractor work.) They were bedded as single shots, with single shot loading ramps, and a wood filler epoxied in the magazine mortise, in the stock. In an old issue of Precision Shooting, Bob, or someone who had interviewed him (I forget.) wrote that he had kept track of how much accuracy improvement was achieved by each of changes from the rifles' original configuration. He reported that gluing a filler block in the stock, and bedding the action as a single shot gave the greatest increase. I found this surprising and interesting. Could it be that some of the advantage that is attributed to solid bottom actions is actually the result of greater stock stability in the bedding area?

It was interesting reading Del's post, which added more detail to what I already knew (or thought that I knew).

In addition to selling Benchrest related merchandise (He was a regular advertiser in PS) he also wrote, published and sold "how to" information relating to the sport. I forget the title. Does anyone have this material? I would be interested in reading a review of how it stands up, and what has changed, all these years later. I would like too see a copy.

Yep, I have volumes I-IV of "The Bob Pease Accuracy Collection", dated 1986. Most of the material is valid except for some of the components mentioned. I live in Austin, Tx and went down to New Braunfels, Tx quite often to his shop for components. He always had a few bench rest rifles and Rem 40X's for sale. He was a very personable guy and very quick to pass his knowledge on.

Old post, but seems everybody knows, the 40X was only made in short action, even the 30-338 and 7 mag. 700 receivers were pulled from the line before roll stamping them and they were used as 40X. No difference in quality.
In about 1993 I sent Bob Pease a new Remington 700 and a gunshop in his area bedded the wood and rechambered the varmint taper barrel in a tight neck 22BR. He called it the poor mans PPC. It shot pretty well, but not benchrest standard.
In around 1994 Red Cornelison gave me a 40X single shot on right bolt and left port. I gave it to a shooter at the Crawfish Shoot. It may have been Frank Wilson. Red said only 2 were made.

40X rimfire

At our local club shoot some one is shooting a left hand 40X 22 rimfire, close examination looks to be a conversion (parts of scroll removed).
The party shooting it had to convert to left hand shooting because of accident to right eye.

Back