Rem 40-X ?

Gstick:

My stock channel close to muzzle appears to have bedding material added, thus any manufacturer cast has been covered.

I am convinced now this is a McMillan stock.

As I mentioned on another thread originated by Birddogjake that still appears, I attempted to gather all needed parts in 2008 to build a 40XBBR KS prior to finding one.

Looking back I apparently spoke with an order taker at both McMillan and Bell & Carlson (order taker being a person that does not have information that can reverse engineer a description to arrive at a correct model)

I thought I heard the 40XBBR KS has now been discontinued. With that said and if true, I wonder if this stock is now available directly from McMillan.

Old Cob

Two things: first the 40 XBBR is still available from the custom gun shop

http://www.remingtoncustom.com/Rimfire_40xbbr.aspx

second, here is info on the McMillian stock, trigger guard and action screws.

Ed,

The pricing and part numbers I came up with are:

F 94486 stock $409
F 94489 trigger guard $ 30
F 22037 screw $3
F104127 screw $3
F 104251 screw $3

For a total of $448. If this is something you are interested in you can either call the parts dept @ 800-243-9700 and use prompt #4 for consumer parts and service or let me know and I will have someone contact you, which ever you desire. Respectfully Keith

Keith Dye

Custom Shop CSR
Remington Arms Co.
14 Hoefler Ave.
Ilion, N.Y. 13357
315-895-3288 phone
315-895-3613 fax

keith.dye@remington.com

I have this info because i want to restock some of my CMP 40-X's. Hope this helps.

Ed

Bob Pease

dlay,
Interesting you brought up the name of Bob Pease. This is a little history about him that I got from Nelson Berger.
Nelson Berger worked on many 40XBR. If he did he stamped a number at the bottom of the barrel next to the receiver. This is an email sent to me by Mr. Berger regarding my 22 PPC. He is 85 years old now but still has all his records.

Del:
A little background about your rifle. A fellow by the name of Bob Pease lived in western PA. He was professional photographer who also dealt a little in firearms and did some competitive rifle shooting. In the 70's he moved to Texas and went in business with an other fellow dealing in benchrest equipment and firearms. This did not last very long as the two were not very compatible. Bob went into business for himself about the time the .22 PPC cartridge made its debut. Varmint hunters had no rifles available in this caliber so he started to by Rem. 700's and 40X'sin .222 Rem or .222 Rem. Mag and sent the barreled action up to me to convert them to the .22 PPC. Yours is one I made for him. As for any stock work I have no idea other that I know there a fellow there in Texas by the name of Dennis Testo who did stock work and I know Bob knew him. Over the years Bob sent many of the barreled actions to me. He passed away a good number of years ago. And as Paul Harvey would say, "now you know the rest of the story".

Bob used to sell a rifle that he called the "Poor Man's PPC", Remington Varmint Specials that were converted to single shot.22PPCs. (I had been under the impression that Nelson Berger did the setback, rechamber, bolt face and extractor work.) They were bedded as single shots, with single shot loading ramps, and a wood filler epoxied in the magazine mortise, in the stock. In an old issue of Precision Shooting, Bob, or someone who had interviewed him (I forget.) wrote that he had kept track of how much accuracy improvement was achieved by each of changes from the rifles' original configuration. He reported that gluing a filler block in the stock, and bedding the action as a single shot gave the greatest increase. I found this surprising and interesting. Could it be that some of the advantage that is attributed to solid bottom actions is actually the result of greater stock stability in the bedding area?

It was interesting reading Del's post, which added more detail to what I already knew (or thought that I knew).

In addition to selling Benchrest related merchandise (He was a regular advertiser in PS) he also wrote, published and sold "how to" information relating to the sport. I forget the title. Does anyone have this material? I would be interested in reading a review of how it stands up, and what has changed, all these years later. I would like too see a copy.

My father built benchrest, varmit rifles back in the old days using mauser actions and douglas barrels, later rem actions etc. He loved the 22-250 and built them in this caliber, which was a wildcat then. I have some letters from douglas about his barrels and accuracy etc. Will look them up and if possible will post some of the old info. Dad bought the 40x that I have now at a gun show, was a 25-06, he sent to hart and had it barrelled in 22-250. My uncle liked it and ordered one from bob peace in texas.

40x

The only difference in a 40x action and a standard 700 Short Action (mechanical wise), is the 40X does not have the magazine cut away.

Your next question is probably, "then why do they cost so much". Simple. You are paying for a name. It does, after all, have "40X" stamped on the side of the action.

I suspect when the local 40X cult members read this, the battle of words will begin. It's only been about a month since the last "hash and bash of the 40X" took place.

Most of the 40X's popularity centers around investment value, not shooting. It's almost like a bunch of shooters are buying and selling these things among each other, hoping for the occasional ignorant, and gullible, shooter to happen along and sip the cool aid, and open the check book..........jackie
G'Day Jackie i bought one here in Australia in .222Mag and it would not shoot and then had it converted to .223Rem and still wouldn't shoot so i got a felt tip pen and covered the locking lugs and found the one was just touching on the very edge of the lug and that what was wrong it needed lapping. got it cheap about A$600.00 i think that why the other owner sold it he could get it to shoot either.PS goes alright now Bruce

I found a bob peace price list dated jan 1986, dont know how long after that he was in operation.

books

Alf,
That is a very nice collection you have there. I have never seen those before. Thanks for showing them to us.

Dlay:

I know Bob Pease was in operation still in 1993 and 1994.

I bought a Remington 40XB Rangemaster in 1993 - 1994 time frame, and bought some Jimmy Knox 6mm match bullets from Bob.

I have been searching for my same articles Bob Pease has written since Boyd Allen mentioned it, but haven't been able to find them.

One article I remember is called "Stuffing a Tight Necked Turkey".

Old Cob

About Bob Pease

I once had a telephone conversation with him,I was interested in a Rem 40X in 220 swift. This was in the late 80s,little did I know he was a 49er fan.

the receivers from the 700 were all factory, rimfire and centerfire. all 40x receivers, rimfire and centerfire are manufactured at a different facility. they cost more because they are impecable.

Rem40X

the receivers from the 700 were all factory, rimfire and centerfire. all 40x receivers, rimfire and centerfire are manufactured at a different facility. they cost more because they are impecable.
G'Day Martin my 40X needed the lugs lapping to make it shoot. had a shoot today at 1000yds,1100yds,1200yds shot 75.5out 15 shots71.2out of15 shots,95.8 out of 20 shots bloody windy we have had cyclone come through last week and it headed inland and made it very windy along the coast, i just love those 108grain Berger 6mm. Bruce

German,
At the time that you wrote the article, you had not tried the 175's. Have you tried them, and how did they work in the 13" twist barrel? Have you changed your opinion on preferred twist?
Boyd

German,

You don't know me, and vise versa, but I know that you shoot alot of .308 Win and I have a question if you don't mind. I have a 40-XBBR chambered in .308 Win, with an original 1 in 14" twist 24" long bbl, and I shoot for score at 100, 300, and 500 yards. My question is, will this bbl stabalize the 155 Sierra 2156, the 155 Lapua Scenars, and the 155.5 Berger Full Bore out to 500 yards ? I have some loaded up with Varget, Lapua brass, Fed GMM but I'm waiting till the temps get up above 40 degrees before I go to the range. Thank You in advance! John

40xl

Hi John! The 1:14" twist was common for many years with British Fullbore/Palma shooters and it will definitely stabilize the Sierra 155 (2155). Many people shot that bullet with Schultz & Larsen 1:14" twist barrels (a friend has a few of those barrels for sale right now if anyone is interested).

The other bullets, all of which are longer than the old 2155 are closer to the tipping point. They might and they might not stabilize in a 1:14" twist barrel. Length, as you know, is the critical factor and all of those are longer than the 2155.

There is one other element of your question, though: the distance to the target. Generally speaking, bullets become more stable as they go further because the rate of linear velocity decay is far greater than the rotational velocity decay. The only fly in the ointment is when you approach the transonic velocity region (say 1300 fps to be safe). Until you hit that point (which you won't at 500 yards) stability will not deteriorate. The nice part about knowing that is that you can do some initial testing at 100 yards. If the rifle will shoot well there, you know you won't have a stability problem.

I'm very interested in knowing how the newer bullets shoot for you in the 1:14" barrel when you have a chance to try them - let us know!

G Day Mate,
That rifle looks bloody good to me i would love one of those, did you use a Rem700 long action bolt and make your own body, the 1X14" Twist will work as i use the new Dyer 155 here in Australia and they are 1.225" long and the new Sierra is only 1.210" long. I coat my bullets in WS2 and shoot them out of a 30" MDDCO 1X14" 3 groove .300"X.308" @ 3100F/S and they shoot very well to 1100Yds but go Sub Sonic @1200 yds and VLD type bullets don't like going Sub Sonic my load is 45.2 grains (AR 2206H ) (4895H)in the USA using ADI Military cases weighed to 2/10 of a grain, they are between 181 to178.5 grains, i have 50 cases of each weight, i like military cases as they have a thicker web than the .308 Lapua and i don't get a lot of head expansion and the primer pockets last longer i get at least 30 shouts out of a case(AR 2206H) shoots tighter groups than (AR 2208)(Varget) and i have to use more than the max load by ADI 47 grains and it leaves more carbon on the case necks.I know that they say that you need a SF of 1.4 and that what i get at over 3000F/S Bruce

40x is Not a 700 Without the Magazine Cutout

I have a 40x in a BR rifle and a 700x in 22-250. The 40x is a stouter action than a 700x. Look at Germans's picture of his 40x and compare that to a 700x you will see the difference in the stoutness of the 40x compared to a 700x. Some of todays Custom actions are clones of the 40x.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

I have a 40x in a BR rifle and a 700x in 22-250. The 40x is a stouter action than a 700x. Look at Germans's picture of his 40x and compare that to a 700x you will see the difference in the stoutness of the 40x compared to a 700x. Some of todays Custom actions are clones of the 40x.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

No:confused:
Well, now I'm back to a state of confusion.I had thought (info from many, many previous posts) the concensus was that other than a solid bottom, there was not one lick of difference.
Another poster wrote that the 40x receiver was "manufactured" at a different facility.
I, however, realize that Germans rifle shown is his own LA version of a 40X.Just trying to get the facts.

Smith

That solid bottom is what makes a 40x "stronger" than a 700 with the magazine cut out.

Dan Lilja did some extensive test on the actual stretching of actions during firing, and came to the conclusion that the lower locking lug abutment on a 700 does indeed deflect more than a action without a magazine cut away. If you look at a 700, you will notice that quite a bit of the metal that backs up the lower abutment is not there any more. According to Lija, this allows it to "set back" more under heavy pressure.

Understand, as a Rifle fires, the head of the case is pushed back by the internal pressure against the bolt face as the brass stretches, this pressure is transferred, through the bolt locking lugs, to the two abutments in the action body, which are pushed back ever so slightly. The entire assembly springs back to it's originol shape, and the bolt can open easilly. The reason it all works is because the brass case, under normal pressures, springs back just a little more than the action.

According to Lilja, when you fire a load that causes the action to stretch back more than the cases natural ability to spring back, you get a tight bolt upon openning. The 40x, and other solid bottom actions, will operate "normally" with hotter loads because both action abutments have the same support backing them up.

Heck, just go over to RIFLEBARRELS.COM, it's all there.

So, in truth, all other things being equal, a 40x is "stronger" than a Remington 700. When arguments ensue over the "40x vs 700" it revolves around the fact that in the machining of criticles areas, there is no difference.....jackie

Last edited:
When arguments ensue over the "40x vs 700" it revolves around the fact that in the machining of criticles areas, there is no difference.....jackie

Jackie S.- Thank you for the affirmation.
It has been a pet peeve of mine, that Remington continues to give false statements in their advertising to this very day.From their latest literature on 40x model: "blue-printed" action impecably squared to the barrel.
They even claim their Custom Shop hunting series actions are blueprinted. Well, I have one...and it ain't , along with all it's other defects cost me considerable $$$ to get to functional standards.

"Built on our world famous Model 40x action, the very same action that's dominated benchrest competitions since it's creation in 1962"

I believe this domination ended over 2 decades ago.

Well they at least didn't have the gonads to use upper-cased "B" in benchrest.
Sad that a company, once associated with Mike Walker and Jim Stekyl, now don't have a clue.

Last edited:
I dont know myself, but I have my dads old 40x with a hart barrel and 2oz rem trigger, and it is much more accurate than the 700 hb varmiters and any of the stock rifles. I have a savage vlp that shoots very good, but will not hang with the 40x. It will one hole them if you can do your part. Both are 22-250. I had a rem 700 hb varmit when I got the 40x and my uncle said that I wouldnt shoot the 700 any more because the 40 was so much more accurate, and I did sell it finally.

Back