Qwestion For Tuner Users

R Stiner

Can you tune out bullet jump?

Example: If you have a good tune with .010 jump can you move bullet out .010 to touch and then move tuner out .010 and get your tune back?

Russ

I think you can likely tune any reasonable bullet jump or jam with a tuner. Doubt there is any direct relationship between the length of the jam/jump and the exact setting of the tuner.

I think the jury is still out on why certain bullet/barrel/powder combinations like a lot of "jam", while some like "just touching", and some like a little "jump". Suffice to say, this is a very important factor in solving the extreme accuracy equation.

If you are pretty close on the jam, I think you can get it closer with a tuner.

But those that think you can just stick a bullet in and let the tuner work do not realize that there is more to extreme accuracy, that being the kind of accuracy involved in Benchrest, than simply controlling barrel harmonics.

Jackie I'm thinking as the throat erodes is it easier to keep in tune.

Also Do you think you get any more barrel life with a tunner before you give up on the barrel?

Russ

Butch I usually call it quits with a barrel {30BR} when it won't stay under .250 at 100yrds.

Throat erosion will be the same with round count. That I understand, I was wishing you could keep tune a little longer with a tunner.

I'm not aware of anyone at our club that is using a tunner. Therefore I'm like a deer in headlights when it comes to using a tunner.

I appreciate all the info you gentlemen have given on this forum.

Russ

Thanks for the reply's Gentlemen!

Most of us Benchrest shooters still have in the closet "The Best Barrel I Ever Owned"

You gotta wonder if we could have squeezed more life out of it somehow!

Thank's
Russ

Jackie I'm thinking as the throat erodes is it easier to keep in tune.

Also Do you think you get any more barrel life with a tunner before you give up on the barrel?

Russ

I set my barrels back on a regular basis, I have been doing it for years. So I don't worry too much about throat erosion.

Jackie you got a great shooting barrel right now!

I would be curious to see that barrel shoot a group then completely remove the tuner and shoot another group just to see the difference.

With that said! the way your gun is shooting It would be wise to leave it alone.

Russ

Last edited:
Long Throat

I set my barrels back on a regular basis, I have been doing it for years. So I don't worry too much about throat erosion.

Just wondering how much you gain or in my case loose in throat length when you set a barrel back. I have a factory sporter barrel with a long throat and can't reach the lands. I would like to set it back so I could reach the lands If I wanted to. I'm dealing with a wild cat that I had the chamber set long to hold down pressure. The length right now is 2.875" off the bullet ogive measured with a Hornady comparator. This still shorter than the factory standard chamber for the parent cartridge. I'm having to seat Nosler Accu Bond bullets very deep to get them to shoot half way descent.

If you set the barrel back your throat will be exactly the same as it was the first time you ran the reamer in. Setting it back doesnt shorten anything except the complete barrel

Dusty Stevens Setting it back doesnt shorten anything except the complete barrel[/QUOTE said:
Dusty If the tuner extends past the end of the barrel you can adjust the tuner out to keep overall length the same.

Example: Cut .055 {18 TPI or one rotation of barrel if you index the barrels} off chamber end rechamber and move tuner out .055 overall length of barrell stays the same.

I don't know if a tuner works off of barrel whip " hence changing barrel length" or weight of tuner deadens the vibration.
I'm not good at explaining with a key board this is kind of what I was asking in the original post.

I'm just guessing here!

Russ

Last edited:
Just wondering how much you gain or in my case loose in throat length when you set a barrel back. I have a factory sporter barrel with a long throat and can't reach the lands. I would like to set it back so I could reach the lands If I wanted to. I'm dealing with a wild cat that I had the chamber set long to hold down pressure. The length right now is 2.875" off the bullet ogive measured with a Hornady comparator. This still shorter than the factory standard chamber for the parent cartridge. I'm having to seat Nosler Accu Bond bullets very deep to get them to shoot half way descent.

Just use a reamer with a shorter throat.

I know what youre trying to say about moving the tuner out, etc but it dont work like that. You shorten the barrel an inch and move the tuner out an inch its not the same. Its a stiffer barrel with less length. Theres no computer program to set a tuner and its most definitely not a barrel stretcher. Tuners cant be set at the house and cant be set 2 weeks in advance

Dusty I'll agree with you! I was looking for a way to squeeze two or three more matches out of a barrel. I was thinking a tuner may help achieve that.

I have not tried a tuner so I do not know what there capable of achieving.

So far all the barrels that I have set back I have never gotten the original accuracy that particular barrel once had. Most likely I have shot to many rounds before rechambering.

Nothing last forever! When your best barrel goes south it's like loosing you best hunting dog..........

Thanks for the information gentleman!
Russ

Back