Quick Lathe survey...

1980 vintage Jet 12X36BD converted to Dc drive........

P6300001-vi.jpg

I use the Harrison M300 but no problem to use the Rockwell 11" or one of the 13" South Bends.

Doosan Mecatec slant bed CNC with an indicating Dunham 16C collet chuck and 10 tool turret.

Zing, zing. . .

I spent two years with a huge Standard Modern made in Canada. I have ran some good lathes since and before, but I still have dreams about the Standard Modern. Always keep your eyes open for these fine old lathes.

Boy, am I out of date! My two primary lathes are Southbend, a 1961 vintage 16" swing x 5 ft between centers toolroom lathe and my all time favorite, a 1978 13" Southbend toolroom model that is only 24" between centers and a real joy to use in spite of the push button control station... Both are 3 phase and run along with a Bridgeport Series 1 off a hefty rotary three phase converter...

Happy metal cutting,

Mitch & Shadow...

Jet 13x36 belt drive single phase 220. Henry V has the same lathe.

Birmingham 14x40 ( chicom) does what it is supposed to no issues. Had a Sheldon 9x36 and a Sebastian 16X48. Too much in repair costs to keep around.

I have the Smithy 1220 XL combo with a Miester 3 axis dro and a Precision Matthews 1236 with a 2 axis dro.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two shops

Home shop has two Southbend 9A's and a Hendy 14x6.
Work a Hardinge HLV-H and a Clausing-Metosa 1565SS.

Last edited:
Tl -2

I am not a Gunsmith ,I am a machinist by trade but i started building my own rifles as a hobby , i have been useing a new HASS TL - 2 , its a hybird machine that combinds Full cnc and Manual control and has a teach mode as well , Its easy to operate and threading / boreing / drilling and reaming are a snap , and the machine is deadly accurate.

Attachments

• TL-1.jpg
    TL-1.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 476
Last edited by a moderator:
What is the cost

I am not a Gunsmith ,I am a machinist by trade but i started building my own rifles as a hobby , i have been useing a new HASS TL - 2 , its a hybird machine that combinds Full cnc and Manual control and has a teach mode as well , Its easy to operate and threading / boreing / drilling and reaming are a snap , and the machine is deadly accurate.

of this machine pictured here?

Tl 2

of this machine pictured here?

Yes as per the picture its a nice machine , the control has threading cycles / drilling cycles / turning etc, it machines precise threads on the barrels i have worked on. Or you can operate it as a manual lathe, you can see the hand controls on the carriage and the tail stock.

Back