Quick Lathe survey...

I have a Harrison M250 badged as a Clausing. I really, really like it.

Another Logan user

My Logan 12x36 2557 VLH with added VFD does everthing I need so far.
Pete

Butch

On the EE you have coming, if it has a collet assy, like ours, you cannot remove it, as it is an integral part of the aft end of the headstock.

Ours is an older model that was re-worked, the newer ones might be different. ...........jackie

Jackie, It has a collet attachment and it is removeable. It has ELSR, taper, Aloris toolpost, Jacobs collet chuck, 3 jaw, 4 jaw, and 6 jaw chucks. It runs on 220 single phase except the coolant pump motor is 3 phase, go figure.
Butch

Butch

The coolant pump is an easy fix. We buy the ones that Granger sells, you can just lay them into the coolant, as they are a total sealed unit with a intergral filtered input, sort of like a modertn feul pump that is inside the gas tank of a car........jackie

Butch

I have a Clausing 6913 and a 10EE Monarch on the way.
Butch

You gotta be like a giddy kid around Christmas time waiting for that Monarch.

Everybody I've ever talked to about the 10EE, including my dad, says they are a phenomenal machine...scary good. I'd love to run one...

There is a 91 or 92 10EE for sale out here on the west coast. It's stated to be in excellent shape. Their only asking $39,500 for it.

I assume you're buying yours for barrel work. Keep up us updated on how it is working out.

Justin

Justin,
They are not really suited for chambering. Too long in the headstock and 20" between centers. I'm getting it because I want it, no other reason. This one is my Uncle Bill's machine and is an 82 model. About $4000.
Butch

Butch,

I knew they had a long headstock and that's why I brought up you using it to barrel. I was curious to see how you dealt with the long spindle (sliding centers, sleeves, etc). I have that problem on one of my machines and dealt with it. I'm always interested on how others overcome such things.

Getting it just because you want it? Good on you. Enjoy it.

Justin

My stuff

CutKing 15X36 lathe
Acra 1440 SVS lathe
Supermax 10X50 mill

I have attached, or tried to attach, photos of my machines, as well as the little gizmo I concocted for holding the muzzle whilst chambering on the CutKing (long headstock issues). This is my first photo posting attempt, so if nothing shows up...it's because I'm an idiot.

As I said, the "centerdoodad" photos are my answer to the long headstock problem. The large diameter piece of round is aluminum, and is bored to a hard slip fit on the OD of my spindle. Set screws secure it there. There is another hole bored to a hard slip fit that accepts a cylindrical sleeve containing a dead center. More set screws secure it in place. The sleeve has 4 flats ground on it at 90 degrees from one another that give the set screws a flat surface to bottom out on.

In practice, a nice, fresh center is put on the muzzle end with a Kiff piloted center cutter. The barrel is run through the headstock with the to be machined chamber end sticking out of the chuck, and the chuck is tightened. The sleeve/center is pushed in until it is firmly bearing in the center of the barrel, and held there while the set screws are tightened. Then one goes about dialing in the barrel, etc, etc. To crown, I just reverse the procedure, but being gentle with the center in my freshly cut chamber. This center arrangement seems to work well, but to me, there's a lot of places in it for the tolerances to stack.

Sorry...a bit off topic, but I thought I should explain what the hell that bugger was for.

Justin

Attachments

• CutKing.jpg
    CutKing.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 362
  • Acra.jpg
    Acra.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 357
  • Mill.jpg
    Mill.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 336
  • centerdoodad1.jpg