Prices of handguns are amazing . . . .

M

Montana Pete

I was shopping for a handgun for my wife today. Went to several gun stores in the area. I looked at quite a few handguns, and was given the 2009 Smith & Wesson complete catalog.

I was shocked and amazed at the prices. An entire page of 1911 auto .45's -- nothing less than $1200.

Scarcely any .38 snub nose for less than $550, and many more like $750.

It reminds me of prescription medicines. The identical prescription that cost $50 three or four years ago is at least $90 today.

The sales person recommended I get S&W versus Taurus or Charter Arms, because of the quality issue.

I'm an old senior citizen, and am not up on all the newest stuff. But I wonder if this is price gouging.

I examined a couple of Taurus and Charter Arms, and they seem just fine to me. They are hundreds of $ less.

Furthermore, I have heard some chatter than S&W does not have the gilt-edge quality it used to have.

Am I dumb, or are we getting our wallets cleaned out?

Opinions welcome--

From another old guy basically yes in my opinion, inferior products at higher prices,I will tell you I have seen some lowering of prices (sales) at Cabalas in my area, if your on a budget check pawn shops, local dealers for used pistols still a few good deals but it takes some shopping.

Pete,

I agree that the prices have been going up, did you look at the ammo prices, at least 30-40% over just a couple of years ago.

Anyway I wouldn't hesitate looking at a Taurus revolver in the 38 cal. Not sure what your wife would be comfortable shooting but my neighbor across the street just purchased his wife one and they are in their 70's and she likes it. They come with a life time warranty.

Now before everyone jumps on me about buying American, some are on budgets out there and if they can't afford such they have to do what they can. Down here in Texas you can get a Taurus 38 special for around $300 new but I've found prices in this neck of the woods to always be pretty good compared to some other areas of the country.

Good Luck

Yeah, Montana Pete, prices are way out of sight. I bought my first S&W K38 for about seventy bucks. That was "police price", but the regular price wasn't more than about $80 at the time. I paired it up with a telephone booth but (S&W Chief Special) which was $65. Guess I should have held on to those (and the dozens of others I bought and swapped) to pay for my health insurance.
As long as you've got a good eye and some experience in evaluating the type of firearm you'd like to purchase, I'd have no trouble with hitting the pawn shop circuit. But be careful cuz there's a lot of junk out there that can end up injuring more than your wallet. I saw a S&W Sigma 9V for sale locally for $300 today. Not that I'd recommend that model specifically, but retail for that piece would probably be over $425 so you can save by shopping used.

Yeah, Montana Pete, prices are way out of sight. I bought my first S&W K38 for about seventy bucks. That was "police price", but the regular price wasn't more than about $80 at the time. I paired it up with a telephone booth but (S&W Chief Special) which was $65. Guess I should have held on to those (and the dozens of others I bought and swapped) to pay for my health insurance.

Well, yes and no ;)

You could also buy a house then for 15-20,000 or a car for 2,000-3,000 and a pair of shoes or a gallon of milk cost more hours wages than today...

right?

As long as capitalism lives there will always be someone who sees the opportunity to come in cheaper with higher quality and still make a buck.

Price per wage seems lower now than when I was a kid. Although Obama does have gun/ammo prices hiked right now.

al

Just head out to a gun show, their are plenty around and deals are always available. More than a few short guns seems to be a life times worth to me.

Aside from consumer electronics prices are up on almost everything you may want to buy. A big part of the problem is the dollar just is not worth very much any more. I am a retiree and get more monthly income than I ever dreamed I would get back when I was working, but when a Big Mac costs more than a steak dinner used to the money just does not go very far. I can remember when a coca cola cost a nickel how much is it now ? At the movie theatre it can be $3-$4

Dick

Stopped

Aside from consumer electronics prices are up on almost everything you may want to buy. A big part of the problem is the dollar just is not worth very much any more. I am a retiree and get more monthly income than I ever dreamed I would get back when I was working, but when a Big Mac costs more than a steak dinner used to the money just does not go very far. I can remember when a coca cola cost a nickel how much is it now ? At the movie theatre it can be $3-$4

Dick

at kittery trading post on way back from thurmont. .22 rimfire ammo that cost 15 bucks 6 months ago is 25 now...and commodity prices for lead and brass are down. its the panic buying and good ol american capitalism capitalizing on the situation. you gotta love it!!

at kittery trading post on way back from thurmont. .22 rimfire ammo that cost 15 bucks 6 months ago is 25 now...and commodity prices for lead and brass are down. its the panic buying and good ol american capitalism capitalizing on the situation. you gotta love it!!

I guess I won't be stopping there on the way to Damariscotta .

I found a brick

Of that old Federal real good 22 RF ammo I have had for years that was around $6. per box back then (1997 or 8) the other day. How much is that kind of ammo worth now. I don't think they make that Federal suff any longer.

I would suggest visiting a FFL holder and looking at Military surplus pistols, you can pick up quite a few at almost reasonable prices, and the advantage is that they are built to military specs. I know, some look like junk, but they shoot and hold together. Just look at all of the 9mm Makarovs out there.

Taurus

I personally own several Taurus handguns and I have no complaints with any of them. Plus the warranty is better than most.

Adrian

I personally own several Taurus handguns and I have no complaints with any of them. Plus the warranty is better than most.

Adrian

Perhaps there are policemen or Feds on these boards who carry daily on-duty and off-duty, and they can tell us why none of them carry Taurus.

Have always been curious about that, considering I see them being sold everywhere.

When a law officer or other takes a gun from your home do they resell it or can u ask for it back?

When a law officer or other takes a gun from your home do they resell it or can u ask for it back?

If I didn't know better, I'd wonder if this was some kind of indirect way to imply that it's best to buy a handgun of price and quality that you wouldn't mind losing to theft or confiscation. (??)

Last edited:
Went to a small gun show in Lawton Ok today. A guy was selling S&W 9's and 40's for $335 plus a $30 rebate from S&W. Maybe you need to move to Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweeping down the plaines.

Donald

The only handgun I own is a Ruger and no one is taking it without a helluva good reason. It is still my property even if they have possession of it so eventually it has to be returned to me.

We are fortunate to have a new local sheriff. I have met him several times at the gym where we both work out. I asked him the other day if he knew of Sheriff Joe from Arizona that houses his prisoners in tents and makes them wear pink shorts. He said he was origianlly from Arizona and had worked with him. He said he had alread applied to the state legislature for tents but was turned down becaue it gets too cold here in the winter. He said he told them he would buy wood buring stoves and they could chop theri own wood. He has also stopped feeding them steak. They get bolonga sandwiches and he makes them work, picking up trash along the roads. I asked him what he would do if he got an order from the governer to confiscate fireamrs. He said none of his employees would ever be doing that no matter who ordered it. He also said that if you were a law abiding citizen with no criminal history he had nothing against civilians owning full auto weapons. I think I will vote for him again next time he runs for office.

Donald

Back