Powder scale accruacy

Boyd, A +- .1 variance with in a given load is easy to see if the gun is capable of zero groups at 100 yds. but you better have all your ducks in a row everywhere else……. jim

This is the reason I like the pan to oscilate while tricklng up. I do not have to tap the pan until it looks like it is on my chargeM I then just touch the pan to stop it.

If you guys are looking for a very good scale at the right price, a A&D FX120i sold out of Canada; Cambridge Environment Products Inc. 420.00 and it is magnetic force registration and is guaranteed 5 years. Best price i could find down here is 650.00……… jim

I have seen

Some great LOOKING laboratory Balances on Ebay in the $200. range, made in USA and with a guarantee. I think one needs to look at Lab Balances for better accuracy. They have a covering around them with movable doors that shield out drafts, of one thing and I believe their weighing mechanisms are of higher quality.

Pete

Pete, The one i made reference to was accurate to .02 and is weighing in 1 second and they have the draft shields and is guaranteed for 5 years……. jim

I recently bought a GemPro 250 for $120 NIB and am pleased. I'll have to see how it holds-up but so far so good. Now are there better 0.02 scales out there? Of course there are, but for the price I really like the GemPro.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Lee, that is .02 not .2, the GD503 is .005 but cost 3 times what the FX 120i does with the same Magnetic Force Registration as the GD 503. It's the real deal, the GD 503 is certified and the weight and the FX 120i isn't and you pay dearly for the certification you don't need. A 100g. certified weight is 125.00 and the same weight with out the certification is 19.55… jim

Jim, as noted the GemPro 250 claims resolution to 0.02 grains. From what I can tell, including trickling 1 granule at a time, it seems pretty good. There are better units out there of course. My undergrad in chemistry exposed me to a few of them. But for $120 the GemPro gives me all I need from a scale.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Lee, A friend just sold his Gempro to get the FX 120i, way faster and they don't wonder with the Magnetic Force Registration. That is a 1000.00 unit top shelf for 400.00. You can't buy the the GD 503 any more……. jim

FX 120i

I have been using a FX 120i for several months now, it has replaced my tuned beam scale and I ain't going back, it is a very impressive scale, fast, accurate and repeatable.
Dave T

I just received my A&D scale and you really can't compare it against the GemPro.

I used the GemPro 250 for about two years and it wasn't bad. It was accurate, drifted occasionally and pretty reliable. It had to be on 24-7 to get consistency out of it. During a loading session, 50 rounds...drift was experienced 2-3 times. Hit the tare button and back to normal. In all honesty, I don't think hitting a tare button constutes a bad scale. In the A&D manual, it specifically says to hit "re-zero" key before each weighing to eliminate possible errors.

The main reason for going to the FX-120i is speed. The GemPro would take 3-5 seconds to register anything dropped into the pan. So when getting close to charge weight...it was a constant cycle of drop 1-2 kernels, wait, drop 1-2 more, wait, repeat and hope its not over. The FX is insant and consistent when weight is removed and set back on.

With the GemPro...it took usually 2 kernels of R15 to move .02, maybe three depending on size of a kernel. Certainly would not register 1 kernel of R15.

All in all, the gempro will get you by...as long as its a good one, lol. I've read guys getting turds and sent them back for a replacement. One nice thing is, CS is great on them and will replace the scale if you encounter any trouble. The manual sucks though...there is a good YouTube video on scale calibration...find it and follow it.

I use the two lb coffee can method...

Clean and dry a wide mouth Folgers plastic can

Fill arf with H4198

Prep cases

Pick up a case and scoop through powder till full

Bang on table to settle

Empty till powder is halfway up neck

No stinkin scales !!

Greg
I prefer the Maxwell house cans.

Dick

I have recently purchased a GemPro 250. Yesterday I observed something interesting. To make a long story short, static electricity in the wind cover, pan, and tweezers, all plastic, caused the registered weight to change. Wiping all the above with a dryer sheet fixed the problem.

Harold

Stool, I like the price of the A&D FX 120i, it has to be the best deal on the market and having the magnetic force registration is a plus for sure. I use a GD 503 and i do +-.01 and have speed that DSM talks about, do you want to load or sit around and watch the bumper rust ………. jim

Static electricity is the bugaboo of all sensitive electronic systems. Do some searches or order some electro-tech catalogs to see reams of information. At the very least the scales must be set up on a neutral surface and have bleeder lines, and you need to keep yourself bled off to keep differentials at a minimum.

Dryer sheets are perty cool. They work by smearing the unit with electrically conductive goop which allows the liddle electronical bugs to scamper off into the surrounding environment, evening out potentials

Lee, A friend just sold his Gempro to get the FX 120i, way faster and they don't wonder with the Magnetic Force Registration. That is a 1000.00 unit top shelf for 400.00. You can't buy the the GD 503 any more……. jim

I believe the $400 price is only available at Cambridge Environmental, which is in Canada. Their web site says their posted prices are in Canadian dollars. Anyone know how the US dollar and Canadian dollar compare these days? I assume that if you use a credit card to purchase the scale that the credit card company will do the conversion as appropriate.

I believe DSM had one shipped to him with a weight for 425.00. I may be off a little on it but i think i'm close….. jim

I just

ordered one. I had submitted an email to Cambridge requesting some info and they called me back. Didn't take much talking to get me to drag out the plastic. Yippie, another gadget. :D

Stool, You can not buy a GD 503 anymore…… The FX 120i does use the same magnetic force registration as the GD 503. So it makes a very good unit compared to anything at the 400.00 price range,The best price down here was 650.00 + shipping. Accuracy to.02 and in 1 second. no more wondering…….. jim

Back