Powder scale accruacy

Wilbur posted a week or so ago that Mike had been temporarily booted for improper conduct. If you can imagine that from Mike.

Thanks Vern, I missed that post. Not that I really missed Mikes post or replies. Hopefully he will learn to play nice the next time.

I think now many companies offering a range of scale with low precision level and accuracy. I have bought one from EBay in $100 and it gave me accuracy up to 3 division. Its enough for me to get accurate result up to that limit. And there are a range of scales with different latest features according to your needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
This whole thread has not mentioned one scale that is capable of weighing .005. How can you have any idea what the scale your using is capable of weighing,you are guessing. Most don't need the accuracy needed at long range. If you need or want a scale capable of .01 better you need a GD 503 or better……… jim

It has never made sense to me :

I think most of us want our barrels fitted with as little error as humanly possible, don't we? That being the case, why would anyone disregard the same kind of accuracy when it comes to the key component that makes the rifle perform consistently to the same degree of accuracy? If exact loads don't matter then , perhaps, exact fitted barrels with dead nuts chambers and crowns don't matter so mush either. Personally, I believe that everything matters and some folks get lucky sometimes. That last little bit of accuracy is always important, rather it's in the construction of the rifle or the ammo that is fed into it. To say otherwise has never made sense to me.

I have seen a lot of great shooters win matches and break records. I have also seen the same shooters not do so well. I have always wondered how much better they might have done with perfect ammo.

Pete

I think that it all comes down to the game that is being played. The longer the distance, the more important low ES becomes. I believe that accuracy comes from multiple factors, and that while all are important, that some are more than others, and that how they are weighted depends on the circumstances. One of the best 1-200 yard rail gun shooters that I know of, uses powder that lends itself to being measured, and throws his charges. On the other hand, if there was a range around here where I could shoot 600 yards and farther, and I was planning to do that, I would not think of staying with thrown charges.

It depends on you that how much you can pay for that scale. Because when you pay more you get best scale with accuracy and other features that you need. I have bought one from Walmart with accuracy up to .001 in just $50.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edwin, Give me the make and model # of a scale you can buy for 50.00 and weigh with in .001 of what an oz. or a grain? a postal scale is useless for weighing powder……. jim

Greg, A GD 503 with a electric trickler, i can and do hold .01 grain. I throw a light load with a powder measure and trickle up to weight. You have to remember i shoot 1000 yds.
so things are a little more critical……. jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the info. I know that you're successful in the long range game. I appreciate you taking the time to spread the wealth.

I'm going to play some in the longer range games this year. Thus, my question. Of course, I might have played "straight man" to get a good answer out there anyway.

When I load for the short range game, I use my ChargeMaster and I'm happy. I do have two pans that I've worked over to be as close to the same weight as I can manage as measured on my tuned up RCBS 505. Charging one pan while I'm trickling with the other speeds things up.

The few times that I've loaded for longer range, or I have wanted to eliminate the powder charge variable for some reason, I have done much as you describe. I throw the charge light with the ChargeMaster, then trickle up to weight with an old-fashioned thumb-and-forefinger RCBS trickler and the aforementioned 505. I use a web cam mounted in front of the 505 to help with magnification and paralax. Might not be as good as the high-dollar scales, but I've been happy.

I might spring for one of the good scales one of these days. Right now, with two kids in college and pushing to stick to my retirement savings plan, my toy purchases are limited.

Back