Old used barrels

Gunner223

Hi Guys, What do you do with barrels that you have replaced for one reason or another? I have 4 Shillen match 22 cal barrels that are chambered and threaded for a 700 rem in .223.They are fluted and are about .900 at the muzzle. Except for the rifling they are "Cherry".

Mil, Thanks for the suggestions. These barrels are completely shot out. Beings they are fluted they are not much fun to turn down to round.

If you are a fisherman, saw them into about 1-1/2" pieces and use them for plug knockers. I have about 50 or so, most have 500 or less, a few as much as 700. Right now they are just helping holding my shop floor down....

A barrel Liner?

I would be interested in knowing everyone's thoughts regarding reboring and installing a new barrel liner of appropriate caliber. comments?
Centerfire

If you are a fisherman, saw them into about 1-1/2" pieces and use them for plug knockers. I have about 50 or so, most have 500 or less, a few as much as 700. Right now they are just helping holding my shop floor down....

Jerry,

Genius idea! I hung up a Lucky Craft the other day and contemplated renting scuba gear to go get it. Rental fees would have been cheaper than replacing that plug!

Justin

I would be interested in knowing everyone's thoughts regarding reboring and installing a new barrel liner of appropriate caliber. comments?
Centerfire

Is it possible to simply re-rifle them? What are the chances that a shot out .25-06 barrel could give a serviceable 6.5-06 barrel?

Centerfire

Only works for .22 RF reliably.

Securing a liner in an old barrel at center-fire pressures and loading as the bullet pushes down the bore is touchy to say the least.

No one has a sine bar rifling machine in their shop? I saw one at a gun show in Denver a couple of weeks ago.

Probably not gonna happen. I would think the cheapest part of making a barrel might be the blank itself.

Well first off you could do the old Merrill Martin fire lapping treatment to clean them out and then run a rifling button through it. In the case of the .25-06 you'd need to run a 6.5-06 reamer in to clean up the neck. Maybe one of the barrel makers will chime in about how it won't work. Certainly it could give a serviceable barrel for a hunting gun.

Centerfire

Forcenterfire, over about 20,000 pressure, will not work. Plus, that old alligator crust would e very damaging to tooling.

Thanks all for the "valuable" information/suggestions on what to do with old barrels. After much thought and careful consideration, I have decided to put them in the trash.

Cut chambers off first to avoid any issues with someone getting their hands on them. Current metal prices are worth taking them into scrap yard.

The 6 ppc barrels that were duds get converted into 6 Grendal barrels for AR's. I figure they deserve it, the good ones get used for spacers and gauges.

I love this idea but my little Bridgeport doesn't slot very well....... if I can figger out a way to slot 'em I will be doing this!

Thanks all for the "valuable" information/suggestions on what to do with old barrels. After much thought and careful consideration, I have decided to put them in the trash.

Find a dry, out of the way place, and put the barrels there. If you figger out what to do with them pease let me know!

I used one to make replacement window sash weight for double hung windows.

Did not take much change from the CI ones that had been there and broken.

Back