Old used barrels

Had s friend whose father did a certain amount of gunsmithing & used old barrels instead of rebar when he poured his driveway.

Had s friend whose father did a certain amount of gunsmithing & used old barrels instead of rebar when he poured his driveway.

I've heard of this from 3 different people, all credible, one of them concerns a certain well known supplier of rifle components and each time I've thought WHAT A WASTE OF BARRELS!

Because rebar is a specific thing doing a specific job which barrels do not, CANNOT do.

Adding rifle barrels to a slab accomplishes nothing strengthwise......... sell them for weight, drop them off at a steelyard, weld them into a backyard playground but they're no good as reinforcement for concrete.

Because rebar is a specific thing doing a specific job which barrels do not, CANNOT do.

Adding rifle barrels to a slab accomplishes nothing strengthwise......... sell them for weight, drop them off at a steelyard, weld them into a backyard playground but they're no good as reinforcement for concrete.

Al,

Back in the 1950s, the US Navy had piles of surplus material, and a serious lack of funds for things like rebar. For at least one project in San Diego, surplus 1903 rifles (barreled actions) were used to provide support for the foundations. Most of the structures were still standing as of 10 years ago - maybe the Marines have since demolished them to make room for newer facilities.

Not that I'm pouring any concrete, but I'm going with Al on this one. Reminded me of the old hobo joke "If we had some ham we'd have ham and eggs if we had some eggs."

Al, I would guess

I've heard of this from 3 different people, all credible, one of them concerns a certain well known supplier of rifle components and each time I've thought WHAT A WASTE OF BARRELS!

you have never been to Grant's Farm in St. Louis. The Property is now owned by the Busch family ( note spelling ).

The fence around the main home property is probably the best use of old barrels I have ever seen. The wrought iron picket fence is made of barrels from Confederate rifles and muskets. Grant even made a few good decisions when he was drunk.

Al,
................................Most of the structures were still standing as of 10 years ago........

Somehow this statement validates nearly everything in most people's minds which is weird to me.

Ya know what? I've got several rocks in my yard that they tell me could be 2.3 billion yrs old.......still standing last I looked.

First of all, we're talking about using barrels as REINFORCEMENT. And 90% of all the concrete poured in the world doesn't NEED reinforcement in any way which means (and this is true of my three examples for sure) that the concrete was just used as a dumpsite for a bunch of steel barrels. Fine, so be it, it's better than throwing kittens in, or tree branches, or even old car tires...... but it doesn't DO ANYTHING POSITIVE :) ie it doesn't add "strength." Rebar is there specifically to give concrete tensile strength, barrels cannot do this. It doesn't mean though that adding gun barrels to concrete will cause it to fail prematurely.
"

you have never been to Grant's Farm in St. Louis. The Property is now owned by the Busch family ( note spelling ).

The fence around the main home property is probably the best use of old barrels I have ever seen. The wrought iron picket fence is made of barrels from Confederate rifles and muskets. Grant even made a few good decisions when he was drunk.

I have not..... and I probably will some day because that deserves to be seen :)

and I WILL no doubt be there again some dragging my grandbabies through City Museum anyhoo.....

LOL

Al, you should have seen the metal that was in our old houses foundation when we sold the house and had it moved off. When we broke out all the old concrete, there were several 4 cylinder crankshafts and quite a bit of the frame and drive train from a Model T or A's. That part of the house was built back in the depression era. They didn't throw anything away, they just used it in their concrete. I'm not too sure what the purpose of the bed spring coils was in it though.

Al, you should have seen the metal that was in our old houses foundation when we sold the house and had it moved off. When we broke out all the old concrete, there were several 4 cylinder crankshafts and quite a bit of the frame and drive train from a Model T or A's. That part of the house was built back in the depression era. They didn't throw anything away, they just used it in their concrete. I'm not too sure what the purpose of the bed spring coils was in it though.

Remembering back many years, during WW II, there were " scrap drives" where scrap metal was being taken up "For the war effort". While my Dad was gathering up old plow points, etc. I as a 6 year old, was gathering up Dads good tools. I thought they were going to be dropping this scrap on the enemy!! Turns out the "enemy" was our ally, Stalin, who by 1949 now had 43% of the WORLD under communism!!!

Back