Okay, get out the gloves

Gene, I wish you success if you do indeed decide to build a rimfire rifle, and you have plenty of good drivers in your state.

Joe

Friend Gene:

I just read your thread here......

I've never met you, but in the dealings we've had, and differences, I want you to know that I think you are a true "Gentleman".......

(GB) Thank you Bill.

A public forum like this is not the place to discuss issues.....that's a shame too.....no matter how serious the discussion starts, well, it's a public forum...

(GB) Bill, I respectfully disagree; I believe public forums are the ideal place to discuss issues. The secret is to ignore those that do nothing but cause trouble. It's easy to identify them; they are the ones that never have anything good to say about anything or anyone. Don't waste your time responding to their rude remarks.

Now, welcome to Rimfire Benchrest my friend....

Now my friend, for what it's worth:

95% of rimfire, lead bullet, accuracy can be obtained scienticifally, careful set-up, precision measurements, sound machining practices, etc....etc.

But Gene, the 2 or 3 percent of accuracy above that first, easy 95 percent, that produces world records and National Championships, is an "art"..

No amount of measuring, no precision machines, no bore scopes or air gages, no $100,000 lathes or mills, no mechanical devices of any kind, or the care with which they are used, will turn that first 95 percent of rimfire accuracy into a killer gun that will set world records or win National Championships......

World class rimfire guns are produced by artists....

Again my friend, welcome to Rimfire Benchrest...

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Bill

Thanks for your friendly and well written response to my 'challenge.' :)

I'm sure you realize, most of what I said was meant to be funny, but I am dead serious about building accurate rimfire rifles. I have some new ideas that differ from the status quo. I believe everyone will benefit from our friendly rivalry. :)

I'm sure you're right when you say, "World class rimfire guns are produced by artists."

Artists come in many forms; all have their own unique talents. If everyone in a given field joined together in a friendly and cooperative spirit, there is no limit to what could be accomplished.

Many do not understand why I gladly share what I know with others. I guess I'm more concerned with advancing the state-of-the-art than drawing attention to myself.

So,,,,, here we go; onward and upward with the continuing education of Beggs. :D :eek:

Let's have some fun!

Later,

Gene Beggs

Gene's efforts

Here's a thought: Gene builds a killer rifle......and gets Noah Johns to compete with it! He'll probably be ten when the spring comes but hey, what's more humbling than getting one's butt kicked by a ten year old? I'm still waiting for Noah's website so I can send some $$$ to help out. My best, Guy

Who's this guy Art and how do I get one of his guns? Cabin fever in Texas? I didn't think it was possible.

Who's this guy Art and how do I get one of his guns? Cabin fever in Texas? I didn't think it was possible.

Cabin fever in Texas? Log cabin fever. Taking place in a BIG, LONG hollow log, I say..

Experimentation this winter may be almost as interesting as a regular shooting season.

Another question - - -

I was wondering if barrels could be opened up via EDM instead of the traditionsl deep drilling. Is there any chance this process could provide straighter holes than conventional drills can?

I was wondering if barrels could be opened up via EDM instead of the traditionsl deep drilling. Is there any chance this process could provide straighter holes than conventional drills can?

I have long forgot the details but I believe it was in Precision Shooting a number of years ago someone was trying it but at that time the process was so slow as to not be cost effective

It would take a very expensive machine and the burn time would be forever. We are a long way from it being cost effective. It still would not guarantee a good barrel either.
Butch

I hear you Jerry, all good points. :)

The rimfire shooters need a lot of help with tuning. Most do not understand what causes their rifles to go out of tune and why one lot of ammunition will shoot one day and not the next, or in one rifle and not another. They also need some help with rests, bags and rifle handling. I think I can help. We will see; won't we? ;)

Later,

Gene Beggs

Gene, I have always enjoyed all of your testing projects, in particular since I shoot both CF and RF.
Might I inquire what do you attribute the main reason for the 22 in tune out of tune belief or the lot consistancy.
Any thoughts why some guns shoot some lots pretty much day in and day out. Thanks for any thoughts.
A final question. It sounds like your .22 work will involve implimentation of the new indexing device. Now.... you may or may not know that some folks that use an action with a large tenon requirement such as the 40x or Swindlehurst have 2 fundemental choices, use a bbl requiring a large stepdown or using a machined bushing in effect reducing the thread size allowing, as an example, a straight .900 bbl. Would it be possible to incorpoate the indexing insert accomplish the same with the .22 actions?

Last edited:
Gene, might I inquire what do you attribute the main reason for the 22 in tune out of tune belief or the lot consistancy.
Any thoughts why some guns shoot some lots pretty much day in and day out. Thanks for any thoughts.

Tim, I wish I had a good answer for you but I do not. We will just keep on keepin' on and maybe someday we will figure it out. :)

Later,

Gene Beggs

It would seem that with the few folks I know doing some work in the area, the most common link may be absolute air density but it sounds like it is perhaps, less than definative. These are just mysterious little SOB's.

Thanks,

Back