Okay, get out the gloves

Gene, just a question, what are you going to do about the extractor cuts in the barrel when you're turning the barrel to index it? All of the few rimfire actions that I've barreled have had extractor cuts that have to line up with the bolt when the barrel is shouldered up against the action.

Jerry, :DTry the ARG. You'll like it
Jerry, I liked rimfire group. Shot some back when the NBRSA did it. Last I heard ARG was defunct. Is it not??

I know there were some really nice moving backer assemblies. mounted on trailers at Fayette. Where did they go?

Give me the details at River Bend.

Gene, just a question, what are you going to do about the extractor cuts in the barrel when you're turning the barrel to index it? All of the few rimfire actions that I've barreled have had extractor cuts that have to line up with the bolt when the barrel is shouldered up against the action.

A quick answer Mike. Many rimfire actions can have a cone barrel. It is a reverse cone from most centerfires.

barrel slots

Is some of the custom rimfire barrels coned?, they could be indexed?
Keep going on this.

Make multiple extractor cuts?

ARG is alive and well

Jerry, I liked rimfire group. Shot some back when the NBRSA did it. Last I heard ARG was defunct. Is it not??

I know there were some really nice moving backer assemblies. mounted on trailers at Fayette. Where did they go?

Give me the details at River Bend.

Altho I've kinda droped out its still going.I think its mostly active in Ms and La. now. Go to the ARG link on BRC. The moving frames belonged to Kingsnake and he moved them to his range in Demopolis. I think he only shoots 50/50 and ARA and air gun now. Don G still shoots a lot of rimfire group.Ithink Fayette (under new Mgmt) does not want any santioned matches. Sorry, but I wont be able to make River BBend as planed. Good luck to you

I'll volunteer to do the radio promo spots. I'm thinkin' a '60s and '70s drag race theme:

How about we call it: 'Rimfire Matchrace Madness!!!!'

"Sunday, Sunday, Sunday! See smokin' hot rimfire rifles like you've never seen them before! See 1,000 fps lead bullets pound the targets! North versus South! Old School versus New Tech! It's the match of the century that nooooobody will want to miss! See the Old Master in heads up competiton with the New Upstart! It's Gene 'The Professor' Beggs versus Bill 'The Riddler' Calfee in a best of 25 targets, one on one, nitro injected', flame spewin', ammo shreddin' and muzzle smokin' extravaganza that will have you on the edge of your seats to the final shot!

Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!

Beeeeee therrrrrrre!!!!!!!

(Kids under 12 always free with paid adult spectator)

Al, I love your sense of humor! :D

You are now designated as the official director of advertising and promotions. :cool: :D

Later,

Gene Beggs

Mike, I have studied the various rimfire actions and considered the advantages and disadvantages of the cone breech vs., the slotted breech and have concluded the cone breech is the best choice for my use.

Later,

Gene Beggs

Food will be provided

MENU

Potted Meat and Liverwurst sammiches served on your choice of pumpernickel or Rye bread. Soda Cracker on Request!

accoutrements Red Onion, Dark Mustard (as much as you like!)

Drinks
Chocolate Milk
Diet Dr. Pepper

;) :D

Gene,
Welcome to the RF side of shooting! We can use all the folks we can get to experiment and further the sport! Hope you'll venture out here to the East and shoot some rimfire matches with us.

I think you are going to jump right out of the boiling pot, and into the fire:D........jackie

Think you hit the nail on the head Jackie :rolleyes:

Theres a lot of good posts so far in this thread, but a rimfire is a total different animal and thats what makes them special.... :cool:

I use one to hone my wind reading skills @100yds. To date it hasn't done any harm

You might be able to control your rifle actions, but trying to control that little lead slug once it leaves the barrel is another story. The first 15yds is the most important!
I'm not sure if you'll have an advantage testing in your tunnel, shooting one outside is total different to inside shooting.

Best of luck, I'll be watching with intrest ;)

John

I think

the important part is Gene is WILLING to jump ship and try his theories out in rimfire ring. Rimfire may not be his thing but he has resources just like you and I have to research this.

Regardless of how things turn out, pass or fail, I think Gene will still walk out with his head high.

Best of luck in the venture and keep us posted.

Calvin

Regardless of how things turn out, pass or fail, I think Gene will still walk out with his head high.

Best of luck in the venture and keep us posted.

Calvin
Any time someone tries something new, success or failure, something to improve accuracy, anything that creates excitement and interest, that person it to be thanked and admired. Everything we use in this game is a result of that "what if" effort and attitude. And, Gene is one of the very best.

Mike, I have studied the various rimfire actions and considered the advantages and disadvantages of the cone breech vs., the slotted breech and have concluded the cone breech is the best choice for my use.

Later,

Gene Beggs

I'm not familiar with all of the rimfire actions, but do you even need the exctractor for the testing? Can't you remvoe the extractor from the bolt and then use a little tool to extract the case for the test firing and when you have it where it needs to be, then cut the slots? It would be a little cumbersome if you are trying to shoot quickly, but should work whether you are using a threaded or un-threaded action.
Greg

I'm not familiar with all of the rimfire actions, but do you even need the exctractor for the testing? Can't you remvoe the extractor from the bolt and then use a little tool to extract the case for the test firing and when you have it where it needs to be, then cut the slots? It would be a little cumbersome if you are trying to shoot quickly, but should work whether you are using a threaded or un-threaded action.
Greg

Greg, I believe I remember Bill Calfee saying in one of his articles that is exactly what he does when testing a new barrel. ;) Hmmmmm,, I wonder if,, nah,

Later

Gene Beggs

Friend Gene Beggs

Friend Gene:

I just read your thread here......

I've never met you, but in the dealings we've had, and differences, I want you to know that I think you are a true "Gentleman".......

A public forum like this is not the place to discuss issues.....that's a shame too.....no matter how serious the discussion starts, well, it's a public forum...

Now, welcome to Rimfire Benchrest my friend....

Now my friend, for what it's worth:

95% of rimfire, lead bullet, accuracy can be obtained scienticifally, careful set-up, precision measurements, sound machining practices, etc....etc.

But Gene, the 2 or 3 percent of accuracy above that first, easy 95 percent, that produces world records and National Championships, is an "art"..

No amount of measuring, no precision machines, no bore scopes or air gages, no $100,000 lathes or mills, no mechanical devices of any kind, or the care with which they are used, will turn that first 95 percent of rimfire accuracy into a killer gun that will set world records or win National Championships......

World class rimfire guns are produced by artists....

Again my friend, welcome to Rimfire Benchrest...

Your friend, Bill Calfee

But Gene, the 2 or 3 percent of accuracy above that first, easy 95 percent, that produces world records and National Championships, is an "art"..

No amount of measuring, no precision machines, no bore scopes or air gages, no $100,000 lathes or mills, no mechanical devices of any kind, or the care with which they are used, will turn that first 95 percent of rimfire accuracy into a killer gun that will set world records or win National Championships......

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Very well said, Bill................Your reputation in the rimfire game is undisputable. Your work would not stand out from the rest if you were not delivering the extra 2 to 3%.

I believe that all of this has, unfortunately, come to this point because of your enthusiastic, but (still) unproven statements regarding centerfire BR rifles.........FWIW.

-Dave-:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzig5
Greg

Greg, I believe I remember Bill Calfee saying in one of his articles that is exactly what he does when testing a new barrel. Hmmmmm,, I wonder if,, nah,

Later

Gene Beggs

Gene,
Actually I think it was Mike Ross who mentioned this method. It's been a while, but I think the extractor issue was one of the points that Mr. Calfee used to argue against the process.
Greg

Back