Okay, get out the gloves

Gene Beggs

Bill Calfee, I'm callin' ya' out! :eek: :mad:

Yep, I love a good challenge and I think the time has come for me and Calfee to have it out. :eek: What do you think guys? :mad:

Since Bill has been unwilling to come over to centerfire and prove his theories, I'm going over to rimfire and prove some of mine. :D

I did not plan to announce this for a while but I believe the time is right; I am going to build some rimfire rifles for '09! Stocks will be the new "Ultralite" aluminum model, anodized in grey hardcote. Tuner will be my behind-the-muzzle dual-ring type with 28 tpi. Unmodified Jewell triggers, of course. :cool:

The recent discovery of the differentially threaded tenon insert makes barrel indexing a natural for the rimfire because it does not generate the pressures of the 220 and 6mm Beggs cartridges.

Think about it; no bedding, no glueing, no filling, sanding, painting, simply bolt it together with three 1/4 x 20 socket head cap screws, install the scope and go shoot! :cool:

This is going to be fun!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Later,

Gene Beggs

Last edited:
Atta boy Gene.
I don't shoot rimfire (don't know of any formal matches in my area) but I'm none the less interested.

James

What In The World??????

First Tony Boyer is coming to rimfire now Gene Beggs. What is going on? No really Gene, I can't believe you are calling out an "old man" like Bill Calfee. Gene , you have 3 months before the first big money match with $5000.00 prize money. GOOD LUCK GENE

Man!! This is gonna' be great!

RIMFIRE SHOOTOUT! :eek:

Calfee vs., Beggs

Date and location to be announced. :p

Myths debunked once and for all.

Questions about sluggin', hobin' lappin' indexin', tunin', relaxin' and muzzle stoppin' to be settled once and for all. :cool:

Anyone know where I can get a good, 'driver?' I can't shoot worth a darn but I can build a rimfire rifle that will beat Calfee's any day. :cool:

Later,

Gene Beggs

Last edited:
Spec. 7 sold

RIMFIRE SHOOTOUT! :eek:

Calfee vs., Beggs

Date and location to be announced. :p

Myths debunked once and for all.

Questions about sluggin', hobin' lappin' indexin', tunin', relaxin' to be settled once and for all. :cool:

Anyone know where I can get a good, 'driver?' I can't shoot worth a darn but I can build a rimfire rifle that will beat Calfee's any day. :cool:

Later,

Gene Beggs

Gene, I sure hope you don't shoot against SPEC 7 SOLD. When BIll was shooting SPEC 7 SOLD, with $15.00 a box ammo he did not even set out wind flags because the rifle is so good. Most of us set out wind flags when we test ammo that cost that much, but then most of us don't have them SPEC # GUNS to shoot like Bill does. Why, I bet one of them guns would cost more than $6,7,8 or $9,000.00.

Lou

first big money match with $5000.00 prize. where is this held?

On the rimfire forum go to thread about Professional Shooting League. First Match at Rocky River Barn in North Carolina in Feb.

I bet if you turned out half a dozen barrels for your Beggs modular rifle system. Then teamed up with Lou and struck a deal with Zanders, and opened your range for ammo lot / barrel testing / indexing & selection. You’d probably have customers lined up in short order.
:cool:

Gene...

I bet if you turned out half a dozen barrels for your Beggs modular rifle system. Then teamed up with Lou and struck a deal with Zanders, and opened your range for ammo lot / barrel testing / indexing & selection. You’d probably have customers lined up in short order.
:cool:

I see SPEC RIFLES coming out of west Texas.

Are you guys going to weigh in and who's going to be the referee.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Steve,

Calfee has an advantage being only 64 years old, but I think I have the weight advantage at 215 lbs. ;)

Come to think of it, that may not be an advantage after all; huh? :eek: Oh well,,, only the rifles have to be weighed. :)

Referee? Any suggestions? How 'bout you? :p

Later,

Gene Beggs

I may be full of it,

but I will bet there are all kinds of nuances in building rimfire rifles that the rimfire experts use and know about that us centerfire guys will need to learn before we are building competitive rifles and proving much of anything. (how is that for a run on sentence!)

All We Need Is A Lightning Storm

Gene, I think you have the perfect place to test and tune a 22LR. My limited experience with them long ago in BR 50 was that they were more wind sensitive then a center fire and a finely honed sense of flag reading was a must to be competitive. In your tunnel you can subtract this large wind variable, build the ultimate rim fire and find the ammunition that it likes. You know what would be fun? Light the tunnel with candles. Play some creepy organ music. Put on a rubber apron, thick rubber gloves and welder's goggles. Stand over your rim fire rifle. Throw your hands up in the air and yell in a voice tinged with weariness but ecstatic in triumph: "IT LIVES! IT LIVES!"
Go ahead. Whoop it up. Let the real Gene out. Get Baggett to be Igor. He's a natural. Tim

but I will bet there are all kinds of nuances in building rimfire rifles that the rimfire experts use and know about that us centerfire guys will need to learn before we are building competitive rifles and proving much of anything. (how is that for a run on sentence!)
Some of the rimfire differences, just behind the benches-
-A case of good brand ammo will cost what a custom action and barrel blank costs.
-Then this case of ammo may not shoot....go through about 4-5 lots of test ammo at 5 boxes per test at $15/box just to find a lot that MAY work.
-That lot may work for your Sporter but not the 10.5# and 13.5# guns.
-Then what worked for the 10.5# may not work.....you get the idea.
-Learning how to set 5 wind flags in 50 yards.
-Learn how to stand around and BS instead of scrubbing a barrel and loading cases.
-Learn how to shoot all score...no group shooting in rimfire.
-Learn how to go home after each shoot. Rimfirers don't overnight much.
-Meet a bunch of really nice folks....not that centerfirers are not really nice.

Its just as challenging as centerfire group, just different.

Some of the rimfire differences, just behind the benches-
-A case of good brand ammo will cost what a custom action and barrel blank costs.
-Then this case of ammo may not shoot....go through about 4-5 lots of test ammo at 5 boxes per test at $15/box just to find a lot that MAY work.
-That lot may work for your Sporter but not the 10.5# and 13.5# guns.
-Then what worked for the 10.5# may not work.....you get the idea.
-Learning how to set 5 wind flags in 50 yards.
-Learn how to stand around and BS instead of scrubbing a barrel and loading cases.
-Learn how to shoot all score...no group shooting in rimfire.
-Learn how to go home after each shoot. Rimfirers don't overnight much.
-Meet a bunch of really nice folks....not that centerfirers are not really nice.

Its just as challenging as centerfire group, just different.

I hear you Jerry, all good points. :)

And you're right, the rimfire people are fine folks that are just as devoted to rimfire as you and I are to centerfire. I could never be a competitive shooter in rimfire but I can sure build the equipment. I have some theories that go against the grain of most die hard rimfire gurus and decided it would be a good challenge and learning experience to get involved.

The rimfire shooters have been among my best customers for the Wind Probes and I attended the ARA Nationals in St Louis a couple of times. I would say I shot but I don't think what I did would qualify as shooting.

The rimfire shooters need a lot of help with tuning. Most do not understand what causes their rifles to go out of tune and why one lot of ammunition will shoot one day and not the next, or in one rifle and not another. They also need some help with rests, bags and rifle handling. I think I can help. We will see; won't we? ;)

Later,

Gene Beggs

You rock, Gene!!!!!!

I'll volunteer to do the radio promo spots. I'm thinkin' a '60s and '70s drag race theme:

How about we call it: 'Rimfire Matchrace Madness!!!!'

"Sunday, Sunday, Sunday! See smokin' hot rimfire rifles like you've never seen them before! See 1,000 fps lead bullets pound the targets! North versus South! Old School versus New Tech! It's the match of the century that nooooobody will want to miss! See the Old Master in heads up competiton with the New Upstart! It's Gene 'The Professor' Beggs versus Bill 'The Riddler' Calfee in a best of 25 targets, one on one, nitro injected', flame spewin', ammo shreddin' and muzzle smokin' extravaganza that will have you on the edge of your seats to the final shot!

Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!

Beeeeee therrrrrrre!!!!!!!

(Kids under 12 always free with paid adult spectator)

Back