New Lathe

If you had to buy a new pulley anyway, why did you buy a single drive pulley instead of one that uses two belts like the original?
There was several reasons for this.
With the 3 second startup programed into my VFD I dont need two belts to get things rolling.
I figure since the extra belt increases friction it also transfers heat through the pulley and into the motor so I would be better off without it and since I can get by without it, why spend double the money for a double shiv pulley and another belt.
I was on a big mission to eliminate vibration so if there is any vibration from the belt I have cut it by half by eliminating the second belt and more by staying away from the cog type belt.
BTW: I used a 3.250" pulley instead of the 2.250" that came standard to further eliminate heat build up. I use the VFD to lower the motor speed to compensate for the increased speed, when I want too.

Last edited:
Jay,
Thank you for sharing. Other than the motor issue are you pleased with the 4003G? Where did you get the VFD info? I am thinking about getting one and I like the idea of the VFD.

It will get the job done. Just figure in the cost of a good motor and set it up right from the start. This way if you have gear box noise you will be able to here it when the lathe is new and you can get it fixed under warranty. The OEM motors are that loud.
The contact information for the electronics is somewhere on page 4.
Good luck with your new lathe.

Last edited:
It will get the job done. Just figure in the cost of a good motor and set it up right from the start. This way if you have gear box noise you will be able to here it when the lathe is new and you can get it fixed under warranty. The OEM motors are that loud.
The contact information for the electronics is somewhere on page 4.
Good luck with your new lathe.

What..?...get it fixed while it is under warranty...you must understand that warranty repair from Grizzly is "box it up and send it back" for repairs, or they will send you the parts to install yourself

Did you expect a big green "Grizzly" service truck to pull in your driveway and do it all for you?:D:D:D
They have the same in house service as any good American brand, none, unless you pay extra for it. Can't expect them to spend $3000 on a service trip to service a lathe you paid $3500 for.

Jay...you will have to do an internet search for used equipment...the 1-1/2" hole thru the headstock is going to eliminate many of the smaller older lathes...but you might check out the specifications on some of the 12x36" lathes that are belt driven...they are smoother and I am sure a few of them will have the larger hole thru the spindle...some names are Jet, GMC, Enco, Shop Fox, Birmingham, and many more...
Maybe some others will make suggestions on brands that will meet your requirements..
Good Luck

Eddie in Texas

You DO know the relationship between Shop Fox and Grizzly don't you? Maybe Shiraz will tell you if he hasn't grown tired of the Grizzly bashing yet.

You DO know the relationship between Shop Fox and Grizzly don't you? Maybe Shiraz will tell you if he hasn't grown tired of the Grizzly bashing yet.

I would definately be on the "Grizzly" bandwagon...if I had one that would make decent threads without a make-over...I spent hard earned money on a highly touted "gunsmithing lathe" that I did NOT want to rework...I am NOT the only Grizzly 4003G owner that has the exact same problem...I have owned a cheap Chi-com Enco bench lathe that would cut great looking threads at 60 rpm...it was a belt driven unit..
Jay Cutwright has spent a bundle converting his 4003G lathe to 3 phase to resolve the same problem I have...I don't have the money to sell at a loss and buy something else..I just want the lathe to do what it was intended to do...I have taken a Sh*t load of heat because I openly stated my frustration with my lathe...it is funny to think that the term "let the buyer beware" applies to me...and that Grizzly is above reproach..and only the "middle-man" for the problem I am saddled with...how many of you have purchased a "new" item and found it to be defective...I'll bet you contacted the seller ASAP determined to get it corrected by the seller or you would have a "tantrum" until they did...If you have NEVER had a similar issue...you have NEVER purchased a NEW item of any kind...
I was told by one Grizzly owner..."if you had known of the problem wouldn't you have bought it anyway"...What????...who in their right mind does that???...or they "Grizzly" would have given you a $50 deduction off the price so you could convert it to 3-phase and solve the problem..??????????????....I DON"T have 3-phase at my shop and that is why I wanted a single-phase lathe....Does anyone believe that if I contacted Grizzly (prior to purchasing) that they would advise me to buy a lathe set up for 3-phase to ensure that it would make good threads a low rpm....If you think they would state that you very "nieve"...but they damn sure took my money...knowing that the problem was out in the field on "some not all" of their 4003G lathes...letting a customer figure it out or repair it on their own is a way for them to keep the profit in their pocket at my expense...if the company is having "dire financial" problems and can not have a "internal" technical department come up with a "solid solution" to the problem...they are "ethically deficient"....
For all the satisfied owners of "Grizzly 4003G lathes"...please do not waste your keyboard time trying to convince me that my lathe "can't have a problem" because yours works fine....just keep in mind when I spend days/weeks trying to solve a problem that should NOT have occurred in the first place..I am NOT going to set down and shut my mouth as long as I have this problem...I am an American Veteran who served my country to have the right to have free speech...and I am not trying to "slander" Grizzly lathes just state my issues openly that others can learn from mine...

Eddie in Texas

Well I am another person who has a problem cutting threads with my Grizzly G4003G lathe.

I cut threads with full profile inserts at 70 rpm. My threads come out wavy so I learned to solve the problem by cutting the thread to about 95% and chasing it with a die. This two step process works, but it I am not happy when I have to do that.

I thought it was my technique, because this is the first lathe I have ever used. I just figured that I needed more practice. I tried the 29.5 compound feed, and the straight in cross slide feed. I tried HSS with the same results, and NEVER thought it could be a lathe problem. I just concluded it’s an “I suck at threading” problem.

I know I should try to thread at 200 rpm, but hell, I can barely stop at the shoulder at 70 rpm, at 200 rpm I am sure I would kiss the shoulder from time to time.

I have a rotary phase converter. I have been thinking that if I change out the motor for a 3 phase, it will solve my problems. But it is a big expense and a pain in the neck if it doesn’t work.

So I am another distressed customer.

I would definately be on the "Grizzly" bandwagon...

For all the satisfied owners of "Grizzly 4003G lathes"...please do not waste your keyboard time trying to convince me that my lathe "can't have a problem" ....

..I am NOT going to set down and shut my mouth as long as I have this problem...I am an American Veteran who served my country to have the right to have free speech...and I am not trying to "slander" Grizzly lathes just state my issues openly that others can learn from mine...

Eddie in Texas
Other than that Eddie, how do you like your Griz?

Well I am another person who has a problem cutting threads with my Grizzly G4003G lathe.

I cut threads with full profile inserts at 70 rpm. My threads come out wavy so I learned to solve the problem by cutting the thread to about 95% and chasing it with a die. This two step process works, but it I am not happy when I have to do that.

I thought it was my technique, because this is the first lathe I have ever used. I just figured that I needed more practice. I tried the 29.5 compound feed, and the straight in cross slide feed. I tried HSS with the same results, and NEVER thought it could be a lathe problem. I just concluded it’s an “I suck at threading” problem.

I know I should try to thread at 200 rpm, but hell, I can barely stop at the shoulder at 70 rpm, at 200 rpm I am sure I would kiss the shoulder from time to time.

I have a rotary phase converter. I have been thinking that if I change out the motor for a 3 phase, it will solve my problems. But it is a big expense and a pain in the neck if it doesn’t work.

So I am another distressed customer.

Ron...I spent 2 years as an appentice in a large company machine shop working with quality American made lathes and Journeyman machinist...I learned to single point thread at low rpm and made very good threads, that passed our IPQA inspectors...so I know one can cut good threads at low rpm with a carbide tool...
I am doubtful that a 3 phase motor will solve the thread chatter problem...as I have removed my motor belts and tested the motor...it is smooth and quiet..it is mounted on rubber pads...if you drop out the gear dissengaging the quick change gear box you will find the headstock gears are pretty quiet...I have been trying all kinds of things to issolate the root cause of the thread chatter...and have not found it yet...this is not what I bought a new lathe for...I would much prefer that the lathe come out of the box capable of making good threads and accurate facing cuts..

Good Luck

Eddie in Texas

Would it be a good idea to stick a small magnet in the bottom of the gearbox on a new lathe to attract any residual particles? Then clean it upon oil changes?

My Grizzly mill-drill has be trouble free from day one & they've treated me well with every transaction.
Regards, Ron

Eddie,

Can you post a close up picture of your threads?

And your tool post setup.

Ben

Yes, I will get out in the shop...and cut some threads on a barrel stub...be patient it may be a day or two...I have some family visiting from out of state right now..

Eddie in Texas

here are some threads I cut on mine, a couple years ago, no recent pics. But I think they are ok, maybe people on here will disagree?

Attachments

• DSC00418.jpg
    DSC00418.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 371
All the work I had to do with the 2009 12x36 Precision Matthews I got in 2009 was to built a spider and mill out of a quick change tool post base.
Then I was cutting chambers and threads.

The 1967 12x36 Clausing I got in 2002, I had to build a spider, covert from 440V to 220V, get some 3 phase power from the mill, rebuild the hydraulic variable speed, fix the power switch, mill the bottom of the steady rest, rebuild the tail stock, ignore the broken brake, ignore the missing threading speeds, rebuild the cross feed, etc.

In 2002 that clausing was 35 years old! Check back in 2044 and lets us know how the Mathews is holding up would ya?

bingo....
i was scrolling thru the tread to see if anyone picked up on that.....
inserts are for production/highspeed turning......

hss works mushc better for us hobby guys at lower rpms....

ohhh and grizzly sells preground hss tools....

mike in co.....i yes i have been working in a machine shop enviroment..off and on since 1967.....

so we have 2 customers with possible thread issues...out of how many lathes sold ??

this is sorta like bad mouthing ford/chevy/chrysler....cause your car was a lemon........

and no i do not have a grizzly...

mike in co

Back