New Lathe

Grizzly 4003G thread chatter

Ron H....as I told you in my PM to you I had problems with my Grizzly 4003G lathe..after several conversations with Grizzly tech support..I recieved a call from the Quality Assurance department..I was advised that a few Grizzly 4003G lathes got out thru QA that had cast iron shaving in the headstock gearbox that remained in there after assebly..:eek:
This residual metal filing worked their way thru the bearing lubrication system into the headstock bearings and adhered to the bearing races which transfer into chatter at low rpm cutting/threading...so as a corrective action...I was offered a new set of headstock bearings/races..that I would have to install myself..:eek::eek: or I could re-crate the lathe and they would have it taken to Moussouri for repair at their facility...as they do not have field service people...or any authorized service facility other than their distribution centers
No replacement lathe was offered...as that would be an easy answer..:eek:
So...keep this in mind when considering which lathe you want to buy...
I wonder just what exactly a "one year" warranty means....:rolleyes:

Wow, sounds like some awesome support after the sale. I will not even consider that brand of lathe for any reason, even moreso after reading this.

The Jet on ebay looks good but it is just too big for what I need.

What new lathe would work best for all BR barrels (19" & up) working through the headstock?With barrels up to 1.5" diameter.
By new I mean still in production and available for sale right now.

Jay...you will have to do an internet search for used equipment...the 1-1/2" hole thru the headstock is going to eliminate many of the smaller older lathes...but you might check out the specifications on some of the 12x36" lathes that are belt driven...they are smoother and I am sure a few of them will have the larger hole thru the spindle...some names are Jet, GMC, Enco, Shop Fox, Birmingham, and many more...
Maybe some others will make suggestions on brands that will meet your requirements..
Good Luck

Eddie in Texas

Grizzly lathes are built from the same Chinese parts as other Chinese lathes.
It is just like Chinese riflescopes.

You want your own brand of Chinese lathes?
You fly to China.
You meet with these people:
http://www.made-in-china.com/manufacturers-search/china-products/huntb3nolimit/Lathe-1.html
You pick the features from the catalog.
You make up some model numbers.
You pick some colors.
You tell them the name of your brand.
You hire a local QA man in China to represent you.
You fly back to the US.
You set up here in the USA, a sales, receiving & inspection, and customer service facility where you install DRO or other add ons.

Here are some names already taken in China: Jet, BSA, Grizzly, Mueller, Birmingham, Burris, GMC, Millet, Precision Matthews, Sightron, Sharp, Redfield, Enco, Bushnell, Turn-Pro, Simmons, Clausing, Pentax, South Bend, Weaver, etc.

Any name you pick, it will still have parts interchangeable with a Grizzly lathe.

I would suggest that anybody having trouble with chatter should try some properly ground and sharpened HSS bits. From my research the trouble EWW is having with his threading is from improper use of carbide insert tooling. Carbide is meant for high production, heavy feeds, high speeds. His problem goes away when he uses higher rpm because then the carbide cutting tool is then being properly used.

HSS is much more forgiving and has helped this novice turn out some good work. It's another thing to learn but learning to shape and sharpen HSS bits will open up new ways to use your lathe plus save a lot of money and time.

I am completely satisfied with my 4003G. I consider it a great value for $3000.

I would suggest that anybody having trouble with chatter should try some properly ground and sharpened HSS bits. From my research the trouble EWW is having with his threading is from improper use of carbide insert tooling. Carbide is meant for high production, heavy feeds, high speeds. His problem goes away when he uses higher rpm because then the carbide cutting tool is then being properly used.

HSS is much more forgiving and has helped this novice turn out some good work. It's another thing to learn but learning to shape and sharpen HSS bits will open up new ways to use your lathe plus save a lot of money and time.

I am completely satisfied with my 4003G. I consider it a great value for $3000.

I have many years experience with lathes...I KNOW how to grind and set-up tooling...If you are happy with your lathe SO BE IT...but don't assume you know my equipment and sitiuation...you are welcome to travel down to Texas and try out my lathe if you are so inclined...I have a good friend that said his worked just fine...he didn't notice any chatter...well that was because he was a new lathe user and didn't know what good threads were supposed to look like...I get lots of advice from Grizzly lathe owners that NEVER worked in a real machine shop with quality equipment...just bought a Grizzly and now are lathe experts...:rolleyes:

Grizzly lathes are built from the same Chinese parts as other Chinese lathes.
It is just like Chinese riflescopes.

You want your own brand of Chinese lathes?
You fly to China.
You meet with these people:
http://www.made-in-china.com/manufacturers-search/china-products/huntb3nolimit/Lathe-1.html
You pick the features from the catalog.
You make up some model numbers.
You pick some colors.
You tell them the name of your brand.
You hire a local QA man in China to represent you.
You fly back to the US.
You set up here in the USA, a sales, receiving & inspection, and customer service facility where you install DRO or other add ons.

Here are some names already taken in China: Jet, BSA, Grizzly, Mueller, Birmingham, Burris, GMC, Millet, Precision Matthews, Sightron, Sharp, Redfield, Enco, Bushnell, Turn-Pro, Simmons, Clausing, Pentax, South Bend, Weaver, etc.

Any name you pick, it will still have parts interchangeable with a Grizzly lathe.

I think that is a simplistic statement...not all Chi-Com lathes have interchangeable parts...
As with scope optics there is one place in the world to buy the lenses...but you define the quality and PAY for it...so to say all Chinese made lathes are equal is NOT true...some models are junk...and others are fine equipment...cost determines the quality.

I think that is a simplistic statement...not all Chi-Com lathes have interchangeable parts...
As with scope optics there is one place in the world to buy the lenses...but you define the quality and PAY for it...so to say all Chinese made lathes are equal is NOT true...some models are junk...and others are fine equipment...cost determines the quality.

You could easily know more than me.

All I know about getting scopes out of China I got from Gale McMillian taking about his trips to China a decade ago.
All I know about getting lathes out of China I got from Matt at QualityMachineTools talking about his trips to China a year ago.

What lathe made in China, suitable for gunsmthing, has no parts interchangable with my Precision Mathews lathe?

G4003G Thread Chatter

I just replaced my single phase motor with a 3 phase with Variable Frequency Drive that converts single phase 220v to three phase. This allows me to vary the motor speed from 900rpm to 2100rpm without cooking anything.
Its all controlled by a touch pad on the VFD, I mounted it on the back splash, with variable speed, forward/reverse, & a jog function that works better than any bump button I've ever seen in use.
No more thread chatter. No more gear bang when the noisy little junk single phase motor kicks on all at once. I forgot to mention I programmed in a 3 second start up time on that VFD.
Now if I can just eliminate all the gear/bearing wine.

How much did the conversion cost...???
Over $700.00 by the time I was done.
The drive was 330.00 motor 220.00 new belt & pulley 30.00 + fabrication cost to mount the drive where I can reach it, running new wire in conduit and making a filter to keep chips out of the drive with out restricting air flow. Don't forget tax and add in 50.00 freight to get the drive here from Ca. in good time.
I spent a day putting it all together. I'll post some pix tonight if possible.

What "NEW" Lathe?

What new lathe would work best for all BR barrels (19" & up) working through the headstock?With barrels up to 1.5" diameter.
By new I mean still in production and available for sale right now.
I'm talking something that's accurate, dependable, runs quiet & will provide years of service to some one who's fitting barrels for a living.
I'm not gonna try to fit barrels for a living, I just want to know what a good modern lathe is.
There was a thread on this a couple years ago and as I remember it no one was using anything in modern production.

I got hired 6 years ago when a company failed to design and deliver a VFD.
That company was then an embarrassment to the corperation that owned it.
The company was worth $50M, but was sold for $14M if the new owner would take all negative publicity and the corporation would fund all liability.

When I got my new Precision Matthews Chinese lathe for gunsmthing a year ago, I planned on replacing the motor and drive with some my home brew motor drive and very high quality 3 hp motor I got for free.
But the lathe works so well, I have not got around to modifying it.
http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM1236.html
65 r.p.m. with a foot brake is ok.

I got hired 6 years ago when a company failed to design and deliver a VFD.
That company was then an embarrassment to the corperation that owned it.
The company was worth $50M, but was sold for $14M if the new owner would take all negative publicity and the corporation would fund all liability.

When I got my new Precision Matthews Chinese lathe for gunsmthing a year ago, I planned on replacing the motor and drive with some my home brew motor drive and very high quality 3 hp motor I got for free.
But the lathe works so well, I have not got around to modifying it.
http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM1236.html
65 r.p.m. with a foot brake is ok.

So you are running the lathe on single phase power?

That is correct, it is still single phase in the steady state.
It looks like a split phase capacitor start.

Back