NBRSA BOD Meeting

Kent, Scott said that the BOD voted to require Stationary Backers at all World Team Qualifyers, but the agenda item that wanted Stationary Backers at just regular Registered Matches did not pass..........jackie

I have never been able to figure out why backers are only required at Championship events. Crossfires can and do occur, although not that often, at regular scheduled matches. In score shooting, backers are there to keep people honest, either the shooter or his fellow competitor. Just wait until someone has a 25X and some jelous competitor lobs a nice 7 on the 25xer's paper. What then?

What is worse is when a shooter shoots say a shot up high in the low numbers, doesn't see a bullet strike and shoots a second on that bull and refuses to own the first shot. It happens; I have reffed more than one of them. Without backers it can not be proven that the shot didn't come from another shooter.

Last edited:
Pete. You are a little off on that. Backers are required at regular matches if a grand agg is contested. If there is only one yardage shot, backers are not required. I would love to hear an explaination as to how/why that became a rule. I am talking about IBS rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pete, I would like to believe that The NBRSA feels that crossfires are the result of accidents, and not the intention of a shooter taking out his frustration on another competitor.

Have a little faith in your fellow human being...........jackie

An answer to your question.

I would love to hear an explaination as to how/why that became a rule. I am talking about IBS rules.

It is really very simple how that rule happened Jackie . It dates from back when almost all Score shoots were one day one yardage events, there were only two Grand Aggregate 2 days shoots a year the Nationals and The Pennsylvania states. Until about 15 years ago that is how it was. In an effort to make it easy for small clubs to put on score shoots no stationary backers were required for most events. But for the big important shoots (nationals and PA states)stationary backers were required for tracking crossfires. As Score shooting grew and more grand aggregate shoots were held including one day 2 yardage events the rule was never changed and it now seems strange. Since there is an agenda item to change this rule this year that will be voted on at the winter meeting I am sure it will be updated one way or the other for next year.

Dick

Pete,
I don't know what kind of folks you shoot with, but I can't imagine any of the folks who shoot at Gallatin, Buck Creek or Wilmore doing something like that. That's one of the things I love about this sport. Folks will bend over backwards to give you the help you need to beat them.

Rick

Pete,
I don't know what kind of folks you shoot with, but I can't imagine any of the folks who shoot at Gallatin, Buck Creek or Wilmore doing something like that. That's one of the things I love about this sport. Folks will bend over backwards to give you the help you need to beat them.

Rick

I am with you Rick , when I see someone shoot very well I like to congratulate him not sabotage him. I firmly believe virtually 100% of all crossfires are accidental. It is just one of those stupid things that happens usually when your rifle recoils and ends up pointed at the wrong target.

Dick

Hard to understand how shooters that cheat or intentionally crossfire can remain in this sport. While most shooters want to win or shoot well most are "fair play" types. Like Rick says most shooters will assist other shooters to shoot the best they can. While they may not share all thier secrets they will loan you anything if you are in bind. Maybe the fact that we "weed out" cheaters etc is one reason benchrest is a select group. excuse the spelling not smart enough to load new spell checker.

Pete,

Rick

Once in a Nationals I was crossfired on a number of times on one of my targets and nothing was done about it. It has been a sore subject with me ever since.

At this year's Metric States in Vermont there was a crossfire that nobody would own. It was proven by the use of a long dowel stuck through the backer and target that it came from several benches away. So, you guys, believe, if you want that everyone among us is an honerable man. I have seen proof, on a number of occasions over the years that the reverse is the case. perhaps in your home club everyone is "Honorable" but introduce strangers and things might change.

Without backers, how can anyone prove that there was, in fact, a crossfire? Are we now going to use the "honorable Man" theory for Score shooting? Will group Shooting be next?

Last edited:
I have never been able to figure out why backers are only required at Championship events. Crossfires can and do occur, although not that often, at regular scheduled matches. In score shooting, backers are there to keep people honest, either the shooter or his fellow competitor. Just wait until someone has a 25X and some jelous competitor lobs a nice 7 on the 25xer's paper. What then?

What is worse is when a shooter shoots say a shot up high in the low numbers, doesn't see a bullet strike and shoots a second on that bull and refuses to own the first shot. It happens; I have reffed more than one of them. Without backers it can not be proven that the shot didn't come from another shooter.

Pete--seems the current score committee does not understand that the shot is owned by the competitor that owns the target unless it can be proven that it came from somewhere else. The thinking that the competitor does not own the shot is contrary. The only thing that stopped stationary backers being required at all single aggregate score matches was that two clubs originally only had 100 yards and had no room for backers behind the target frame at 100 yards. Otherwise score would be like group and would have stationary backers required.

We are on the same page on this page.

Jim

Pete--seems the current score committee does not understand that the shot is owned by the competitor that owns the target unless it can be proven that it came from somewhere else. The thinking that the competitor does not own the shot is contrary. The only thing that stopped stationary backers being required at all single aggregate score matches was that two clubs originally only had 100 yards and had no room for backers behind the target frame at 100 yards. Otherwise score would be like group and would have stationary backers required.

We are on the same page on this page.

Jim

Exactly Jim, the only thing stationary backer will prove is that the extra shot did( I own it) or did not(it's a crossfire and I don't own it) come from my rifle. --Greg

What do you do when someone claims he was crossfired on, and the backer does show a crossfire but the shooter it points to jumps up and down saying he didn't do it? After the match is over, the guy that got crossfired on had simply shot his windflag causing a stray shot. I saw this firsthand years ago.

If there is a concern about having stationary backers, there's nothing that keeps a club from having them even if it's not required by the sponsoring organization.

Back