Luby,s Cafeterias.....you just lost my business.

Chism G and Butch,

Thank you.

Hunter,

I agree. You don't have to have served in our armed services or have been a cop to have been of service to our country. To view otherwise is completely myopic.

Justin

Chism G and Butch,

Thank you.

Hunter,

I agree. You don't have to have served in our armed services or have been a cop to have been of service to our country. To view otherwise is completely myopic.

Justin

I'm pretty much with Maisto on this. We send our guys to defend our nation when they are 18. How many cops do you see at 18?

I have a dog in this fight so I’ll say that not all service personnel are 18 and not all police and fire personnel are 40. They may all start at 18 or so but they end up 40ish if they survive. So let’s not split hairs along those lines.

You are so right Francis!
My Father, one Son, Cousin, Brother in Law were all retired career Military. I am very Pro Military, but will not denigrate our peace officers.

I'm pretty much with Maisto on this. We send our guys to defend our nation when they are 18. How many cops do you see at 18?

Jerry,

You don't see 18 year old cops because every agency that I'm familiar with has a minimum age requirement of 21. I was 21 and a month when I started the police academy. My wife was 22 when she started. Some agencies will send you to an Academy at 20 1/2 as you will be 21 upon graduation.

When I was 18, I couldn't find my ass with both hands and a flashlight. No way should I have been a cop at that age.

And Francis is correct. Not all of our troops are 18 and headed off to combat. About 80% of our military are in non-combat positions. The last time we sent teenagers en mass off to combat was Vietnam, and we screwed up a lot of young men's minds doing so. The ones we send today, in an all-voluntary military, likely want to be there. And what a special breed they are.

18 is awfully young to be dropped-off, against your will, in some far-off land to get shot at on behalf of your country. And IMHO, having been a copper for almost 30 years, 18 is too young to be a cop. Trust me...you don't want a bunch of 18 year old cops running around.

Justin

Back