Look out for spiders!

I've seen a lot of bites in the army and spiders are the worst that are common. Especially the brown recluse. Their venom is like a rattle snake in how it breaks down tissue and the browns' are harder to stop the spread of the venom. I also read where the average human swalows at least 18 spiders in his lifetime. Most of which happen in your sleep.....no kidding!!!

Hovis

I've seen a lot of bites in the army and spiders are the worst that are common. Especially the brown recluse. Their venom is like a rattle snake in how it breaks down tissue and the browns' are harder to stop the spread of the venom. I also read where the average human swalows at least 18 spiders in his lifetime. Most of which happen in your sleep.....no kidding!!!

Hovis

they used a small taszer on one of my bites,,it was within 24 hours

had a "granny" that got a widow bite on er thigh, the skin appeared to liquify aro., 2" dia.
Had a puppydog that swallowed a "brown recluse" spider musta bit em on the way down, dog got very sick, looked to have the parvo virus, a dog angel saved er.
Watch out for waspers under those benchtops too, :eek:

Gee, it's great to live in Australia where we don't have this problem. Any spider bite here worth worrying about will kill you, so it's all good. :D

John

Yeh, I watch the Discovery Channel religiously. It seems at least once a week they have some feature about some critter in Australia that can kill you out right.

I think the scariest is that darned Funnel Web Spider. Just seeing one of those would make me want to live some where else

At Midland, it is not uncommon to see Black Widows in the Garbage Cans.

A couple of years ago,I had a small pimple appear on my forarm. In two days, it turned into a rather larger pimple. In two more days, I had a gut feeling it wasn't a pimple.

I went to a doctor, he said it was some sort of 6 leg or 8 leg critter bite. Gave me some antibiotics to ward off infection.

It took a month for that to heal. The scar looks like a Small Pox Vaccine.

In east Houston, we have a really bad string of Staff Bacteria floating around. It is called MRSA, for Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureas. One of my men got it on his arm, and only a special double Anti-biotic Regiment got rid of it, after a month.

The reason I mention this is they gave him a readout sheet that says that many who contract this think at first that it is a spider bite, as it starts out the same way,a small pimple. The Doctor even might assume it is a bite. But it is advised to get on the Double Anti-biotic regiment just in case.

Incicidentally, this did not exist here 15 years ago. It has been brought into large population areas, such as Houston, by immigrants......jackie

Chiggers

All bites should be considered serious. I have a friend who is diabetic. He got chiggers on his foot and they would not heal developing into ulcers, then they got infected and he had to have his foot amputated.

Rustystud

Chiggers; now there's a beasty worthy of some merit. I got into some chiggers about ten years ago and it was one of the worst insect experiences I've ever had. They ended up boring into my skin and itched so bad that I would scratch until i bled. Finally, after several weeks of torture, burning the bedsheets, quilt, and pillows, I went to the doctor. He gave me a Rx. for an ointment that I applied from the balls of my feet to my ears. After two applications, I was chigger free.
Chino69

All this talk makes me think how lucky I am to live in New Zealand........no snakes but we do have white tail spiders from Australia and they aren't common.

All this talk makes me think how lucky I am to live in New Zealand........no snakes but we do have white tail spiders from Australia and they aren't common.

Yeahhh, but stay above ground cuz you guys have got cavewights and Balrogs!!

al

Look down the barrel too...

I have got myself in the habit of looking down the barrel to be sure it's clear every time. Probably nothing will crawl in, but better safe than sorry.

I have got myself in the habit of looking down the barrel to be sure it's clear every time. Probably nothing will crawl in, but better safe than sorry.

Ohhh yes David......stuff CAN and DOES crawl in. I've got a gun in my safe right now, came in last week, 300WSM where the jag came off at the muzzle and didn't get caught in time. THIS ONE was harmless...... but the two being discussed over on the CF board most certainly were not! I'll try to post pictures of the muzzle, suffice to say "she don't shoot so good no more!"

That's a great habit, I'm trying to build the same. Wish me luck.

al

had a "granny" that got a widow bite on er thigh, the skin appeared to liquify aro., 2" dia.
Had a puppydog that swallowed a "brown recluse" spider musta bit em on the way down, dog got very sick, looked to have the parvo virus, a dog angel saved er.
Watch out for waspers under those benchtops too, :eek:

Be careful with open soda can's outdoors, bee's and yellow jackets are attracted to the sweet syrup and when your distracted they'll get insside your can. You can imagine the suprise that's in store for you ! :eek::eek:

Be careful with open soda can's outdoors, bee's and yellow jackets are attracted to the sweet syrup and when your distracted they'll get insside your can.
It's even worse here in Australia. The rotten little @#**&%s get inside beer bottles. :mad:

Reincarnated shooters...

after death, some of us shooters come back in insect form and frequent the ranges we so loved. As John observes "It's even worse here in Australia. The rotten little @#**&%s get inside beer bottles." And if I come back in similar form, loving beer as I do, it may be me, so be kindly in your cursing and be willing to share a sip or two. By the way, cremation may prevent this. If so, have your ashes fine ground and mixed in with the powder of your choice and spend your last being shot from guns. I have made an ash of myself in life, why not in death ?

Everyone is freaky about one animal or another, large spiders are my personal horror. For some reason I watched this for a couple of months outside my window. Here it is wrapping up lunch.

DSC03772.jpg

Florida Spider

The picture of the Florida spider wraping it's lunch is pretty scary. Is your dog missing ??? From the picture that spider looks pretty BIG. <eek>

Well, thanks a lot guys

I have sleep apnea and I sleep with a full face mask for my cpap machine. In the morning I usually leave the mask laying on the night stand until I put it on again when going to bed. Now I'll have nightmares about some creepy crawly thing coming up the hose into my nose. :eek: Now I'll never get a good nights sleep again.

Back to AdamSgt...

Well, if you don't sleep, maybe your wife can. Just goofing. My Brother-In-Law has that and the family all suffer. Maybe leave a large zip-lok bag for the mask when not in use ? I did read we all intake some small spiders etc. while sleeping. Best not to dwell on it.

I have always been in the habit of getting everything set up at the range, then just before sitting down to fire, I run a dry mop thru the bore to remove any remaining accumulated oil from the cleaning process. That should eliminate any of these horror stories at the same time.

Back