Latest and greatest Carbon Killer

Pete Wass

Saw a YouTube the other day of a lad demonstrating the efficacy of CLR as a carbon killer. I don't have any dirty barrels at the moment but will give it a whack. Certainly much less expensive that the traditional Gun brands.

Pete

Or you could simply go with the better solution, Bore Tech C4 , there’s a reason so many use it RF & CF.

to make some one rich ?
clr works great as do various old formula top engine cleaners.
typically 1/2 the cost or less
(no idea where all the spaces came from)

Or you could simply go with the better solution, Bore Tech C4 , there’s a reason so many use it RF & CF.

On the CLR we sight, it says the dairy industry uses it to clean Stainless Steel Milk Tanks with no reactive affects.

I suppose most of those are fabricated from 316, which is an Austenetic Stainless rather Martensetic such as 416R.

It says to keep away from Aluminum and Cast Iron. So be careful around your Panda’s and frying pans.

It says to keep away from Aluminum and Cast Iron. So be careful around your Panda’s and frying pans.
Believe the US Army put out a bulletin about forbidding the use of charcoal grill cleaners for removing carbon on M16 rifles in the late 1960s or early 1970s. Issue was not carbon removal, which the "cleaner" excelled at, but rather, its effects on the 7076 alloy of the receivers. Seems the active ingredient in the cleaner was sodium hydroxide, which aggressively ate away the aluminum. Have no evidence this bulletin existed, but it is a warning about the possible unintended consequences of using an unapproved cleaner.

Speaking of chemistry, am curious if anyone has ever looked into the long term effects of "cooking" CLP type compounds? Issue is that at high temperatures, Teflon (a lubricant found in some CLPs) and similar compounds (such as Freon) break down, forming highly corrosive hydrofluoric and hydrochloric acids. (The warning re: not using Teflon coated cookware above 400 *F is so the coating does not begin shedding, Do not know temperature range when acid formation begins, but training notes these acids will be present following large fires in areas containing Freon and Teflon compounds.) Understand the amount of Teflon in CLP is tiny, however, do not underestimate the corrosiveness of hydrofluoric acid - diluted, it etches aluminum. It is one of the few compounds which dissolves glass, and it also eats away at items found in the body, such as bones and nerve tissue.

Sorry for the "gloom and doom" post, but both items are issues we (firearms owners) need to remember.

Dissolving Carbon

The day that somebody invents a solvent for carbon then the world shall have a new billionaire.

Many products claim to 'soften' carbon deposits but then after that it's all down to grease.

A short stroked brush and 'Elbow Grease'

* doggie *

as dow use to say in the late 60/70's
better living thru better CHEMISTRY

i like the chemical approach

From the company's MSDS

Restrictions on Use Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents, metals (except stainless steel, chrome),
acids, bases, and bleach.

I like to clean my barrel as soon as I'm done shooting when the barrel is still warn , it cleans a lot easer . If you wait till you get home it is a lot harder to get the carbon out .

Ed's Red

I have been using Ed's Red formula for some years now and I am happy with the result.

For those who have used it, how would you compare it's efficiency with regards to above mentioned cleaners or other commercial barrels cleaners ?

Thanks.

Back