Just Talked To Scott Hunter Concerning Scoring System

I agree, Ray. I think it does give a different perspective when shooting for the grand agg. Also, I agree about shooting 200 first. We shot that way last year at Gallatin. It was anticlimatic. We went back to shooting 100 first this year and you aren't sure of the outcome for the grand or the 200 until the last shot is fired...most days at least. The top 1,2, or 3 places are usually decided at 200 yards.--Mike Ezell

The top 1,2, or 3 places are usually decided at 200 yards.--Mike Ezell

Ragin' Ron Jackson has sure taken some of the uncertainty out of the decision this summer. He has three 1st's and a 4th at 200 yd in the four matches at Gallatin. Holy cow.

Cheers,
Keith

Ragin' Ron Jackson has sure taken some of the uncertainty out of the decision this summer. He has three 1st's and a 4th at 200 yd in the four matches at Gallatin. Holy cow.

Cheers,
Keith

Be sure to tell him how well he's been doing Saturday, Keith. I think he really needs the support from everyone there, all day long.;)

Definitions:

It's easy to theroize new rules and sometimes to pass them, then the work begins. A good question to ask is, " have we developed the absolute discription of what we want to do so that there are no gray areas and the change can be simply explained to a first time shooter?" Here is where the Rules become binding and it is not easy to hone the language for changes so that everything is covered.

I think it should be a requirement when a change in either rules or proceedures are proposed that there is a bullet proof explanation with all the rule details spelled out covering every potential question and eventuality instead of doing it as things go along and there are always nagging questions that presist in the process.

What drove this home is while sorting through some old stuff today I found my copy of the NSSA rules book. One look at it and one realizes how lacking ours are. We are National Orginizations, not unlike NSSA. Our rule books should be at least up to the standard they have.

Last edited:
Mike, go to the IBS website and peruse 2 day shoots at 100/200 yds. Most are won with 500's. --Greg

I can tell you that from my perspective, a 250 isn't anywhere near a perfect score and that I'd rather drop a point at 100 and stay clean at 200, where the grand agg is concerned, as most days you will have a limited number of shooters stay clean at 200 with several dropping more than 1 point, hence moving me up in the grand, That's a part of this discussion that really hasn't been addressed enough. In score, you can easily hold a two yardage agg in one day in it's current format. The Grand is what it's more about than anything to me. I don't think I've dropped a point at 100 since Oct. 2008. That doesn't mean squat though. There....I'll be jinxed now for even thinking about it.---Mike Ezell

Mike, go to the IBS website and peruse 2 day shoots at 100/200 yds. Most are won with 500's. --Greg

Yes, but how many times was it the 100 yard winner? It will be sometimes....and sometimes it won't be. MOST, but NOT ALL days, I'd rather drop a point at 100 and have a good x count, then stay clean at 200. But yes, you're right, the winner is going to come from the few shooters that stay clean at both distances. What if the winner at 200 has a 249-6x and 250-20 at 100. I shoot a 249-21 at 100 and 250-6 at 200 though...I would win the grand agg. The guy who wins at 100 often gets caught in a switch or something that costs him a point at 200. For the grand, we would then be on equal footing. Both with a possible 499-?. It's not uncommon. Here's an example where the top 2 shot poorly(sorry Rick) at 100, but finished 1st and second for the Grand. If Rick and I had both dropped a point at either distance, he still would have won and I would have only dropped one place, to third.http://internationalbenchrest.com/results/score/2010/BuckCreek/717/bc717.php
P.S.---I'll take a 500-just about anything(x's) most days if I have my choice though, no question.--Mike

Oh, and those are usually one 1 day shoots....2 yardages. That equals more shooting for the buck with no overnight stays and meals out, for those within a fair driving distance. I am fortunate to have 3 clubs within about 3hrs or less---but they all shoot both yardages in the same day--Mike

Something to think on

Just as in Group, Grand aggs, and Two Guns, are won and lost at 200 yards.

I am going to ask the shooters who attend our Tomball Club Matches if, for next year, they would like to shoot two of the five Club Matches at 200 yards. We can't shoot a Grand Agg at the Club Matches because the Club limits out time to the morning.

I think it would be good to have two of the Matches at 200. It is a different game........jackie

In the IBS a grand Agg. in score requires a Stationary Backer. You can shoot a 100 in the am and 200 in the pm, but if you combine the scores for a registered grand Agg, there must have been Stationary backers

Also, at one of the clubs we frequent, when we added 200 and 300 yard ranges to the schedule the regular "club" shooters became very scarce. It seems the "not so serious" shooters don't understand that the "perfect" 250's don't always happen at the longer ranges. If your clubs have a number of locals that only shoot local matches, expect participation to fall off for the further yardages. Most of these local guys have the remington 700v's and Sagage Br rigs in .223 and so on. We have put them into "Factory", or non registered "custom class" depending on alterations. They just don't show up when you shoot past 100 yards.:confused:

Paul

Since the NBRSA HBR guns shoot at the same target, the method proposed will have different scoring methods used on the same target...depending on whether HBR of VfS is being contested. How about the ranges that shoot both HBR and VfS on the same day?

Talk about confusion for the scoring people.....

If the aim (might be a pun, there ;)) is to have a target that better reflects the difference in aiming precision possible between a HBR and a VfS gun, why not simply reduce the size of the scoring rings on the VfS target by 25%?

Also, at one of the clubs we frequent, when we added 200 and 300 yard ranges to the schedule the regular "club" shooters became very scarce. It seems the "not so serious" shooters don't understand that the "perfect" 250's don't always happen at the longer ranges. If your clubs have a number of locals that only shoot local matches, expect participation to fall off for the further yardages. Most of these local guys have the remington 700v's and Sagage Br rigs in .223 and so on.
Paul
You're telling us that your local Factory Class shooters/guns shoot 250s? Guess I'll stay away. I have only one 250 with a Savage .223. Usually I'm in the 245 neighborhood.

Or are you saying that seasoned benchrest shooters won't shoot 300 yards? If so, a pox on them.

Back