Jackie's XBR8208 test

My supplier says the powder has not been released yet. The stuff that is out now is samples that Hodgdon sent to some of their bigger dealers. Some chose to sell the samples or give them away. Supposed to be released to public late December or early Jan.

Donald

I have

heard from my powder supplier up in the North Country that official release will be at the Shot Show....

Calvin

My supplier says the powder has not been released yet. The stuff that is out now is samples that Hodgdon sent to some of their bigger dealers. Some chose to sell the samples or give them away. Supposed to be released to public late December or early Jan.

Donald

YOUR supplier is out of the loop....as is the guy that said it does not exisit.

powder valley does not have a sample "lot". it is a production/resale lot.

mike in co

This Stuff Had Sure Better Be Good

I have been shooting Benchrest since the mid '90's, and I can't think of a single product causing this much excitment, or generating this much hype.

Just what are everybodies expectations?? Being able to arrive at a competitive tune, and have it stay there all day?? Being able to shoot in the upper window without wrecking the brass?? Being able to concentrate on then actual "shooting" rather than worrying about the Rifle going "verticle" at any moment.??

As of now, a few shooters have been able to test this new powder and found it to be capable of producing good velocity, and great groups. But, the realities of "The Competitive Arena" can be very harsh. Nothing is more aggravating than trying to keep up with the pack when your Rifle is locked into a .300 tune, and try as you do, nothing seems to work. We have all been there.

My expectations are that the new Powder will be more stable in the perameters that govern that all important "agging capability". By that I mean that if the Rifle does get a little ragged, just a little tweek one way or another will get it back. Or even better, that the Rifle will stay reasonably competitive over a days worth of aggregates without fear of getting so ragged that your entire day is ruined by two bullet holes worth of verticle.

This is a tough sell. But then, this is a tough game. I, for one, really hope that this new powder is more "user friendly", so Benchrest can get back to being more about shooting, rather than chasing loads all day long.

133 is probably the most used powder in 100-200 yard Benchrest today. It is also, at the same time, the biggest source of aggravation. If it is right, nothing can beat it. But, as we all know, if it isn't quite right, the fun can go away real quick. One of the holy grails of Benchrest has always been how to make 133 shoot over an entire aggragate.

The biggest gripe with Hodgdon in the past was that they could not make two cans of powder the same. We all looked for that certain "magic lot", which more times than not simply did not exist. Perhaps Hodgdon has recognized that the primary users of this new powder will be Benchrest Shooters, and they will strive to insure consistancy from lot to lot, and that the powder that "you have" will be the same as the shooter with whom you are trying to compete. I can think of nothing more aggravating than to find out that the 100 pounds you just got was not the "hot lot". I think that is when the "peasants with torches and pitchforks" will storm the castle.

Yeh, I know. I am probably hoping for way too much. Benchrest will still be Benchrest. Like I said before, it's a tough game........jackie

Last edited:
Well
If somebody from Austin orders from Powder valley, I will take 4 lbs and pitch in some money for the hazmat and shipping to help defray the cost.
Ted

Jackie,
my hope is a consistant powder that METERS consistantly also...

i still load at home where things are consistant...it would be nice to take the harrells to the range with some confidence.

mike in co

Sound's to me that this new brx 8208 act's the same as the old h322 made in scotland. kenny

I really didnt think of that

I have been shooting Benchrest since the mid '90's, and I can't think of a single product causing this much excitment, or generating this much hype.

Just what are everybodies expectations?? Being able to arrive at a competitive tune, and have it stay there all day?? Being able to shoot in the upper window without wrecking the brass?? Being able to concentrate on then actual "shooting" rather than worrying about the Rifle going "verticle" at any moment.??

As of now, a few shooters have been able to test this new powder and found it to be capable of producing good velocity, and great groups. But, the realities of "The Competitive Arena" can be very harsh. Nothing is more aggravating than trying to keep up with the pack when your Rifle is locked into a .300 tune, and try as you do, nothing seems to work. We have all been there.

My expectations are that the new Powder will be more stable in the perameters that govern that all important "agging capability". By that I mean that if the Rifle does get a little ragged, just a little tweek one way or another will get it back. Or even better, that the Rifle will stay reasonably competitive over a days worth of aggregates without fear of getting so ragged that your entire day is ruined by two bullet holes worth of verticle.

This is a tough sell. But then, this is a tough game. I, for one, really hope that this new powder is more "user friendly", so Benchrest can get back to being more about shooting, rather than chasing loads all day long.

133 is probably the most used powder in 100-200 yard Benchrest today. It is also, at the same time, the biggest source of aggravation. If it is right, nothing can beat it. But, as we all know, if it isn't quite right, the fun can go away real quick. One of the holy grails of Benchrest has always been how to make 133 shoot over an entire aggragate.

The biggest gripe with Hodgdon in the past was that they could not make two cans of powder the same. We all looked for that certain "magic lot", which more times than not simply did not exist. Perhaps Hodgdon has recognized that the primary users of this new powder will be Benchrest Shooters, and they will strive to insure consistancy from lot to lot, and that the powder that "you have" will be the same as the shooter with whom you are trying to compete. I can think of nothing more aggravating than to find out that the 100 pounds you just got was not the "hot lot". I think that is when the "peasants with torches and pitchforks" will storm the castle.

Yeh, I know. I am probably hoping for way too much. Benchrest will still be Benchrest. Like I said before, it's a tough game........jackie

I am still a relatively new BR shooter, and keeping a rifle in tune has been almost if not as important as watching flags. This powder is supposed to stay in tune no matter the conditions, and it seems this would change the sport all together by taking out a major factor. Im not sure if this would be a good thing or not. I guess we will have to see what happens in 2010, and Im sure this isnt the first possible innovation to come along that people thought might change the game

You can stuff the banana in the coconut in Hawaii and send it to Africa and the monkey will still eat it. This is about as much info as all of you trying to figure out a product that has only been tested by a few and has not been bought and shot by the mass.

The main problem with most of US benchrest shooters is Gun Handling and watching the condition and not your load. )chill(

now back to my comic book The Green Lantern:cool:

I am still a relatively new BR shooter, and keeping a rifle in tune has been almost if not as important as watching flags. This powder is supposed to stay in tune no matter the conditions, and it seems this would change the sport all together by taking out a major factor.

I hate to be a killjoy here but if wishes were candy and nuts......etc, etc. The fact of the matter is that temperature changes at what rate combustibles combust. Period. This is a fact and not open to debate. Sure, there are things like retardants and deterrents that can change or alter a rate but only to a point because they too are affected by temps. Bottom line is that there isn't a magic powder to keep a gun in tune all day in every condition.

I have shot every current,commercially available rifle powder known to man with the exception of two in just about every standard cartridge (and many wildcats) over a chronograph in all kinds of temps and I can safely say, there is no powder impervious to temp/combustion changes. Yes, XBR will probably be better than some double base powders in temp swings but it is still a nitrocellulose based powder that will need tailoring to be a top agger all day.

Don't get me wrong, I've played around with XBR a bit and I like it very much thus far. But I'm not going to hitch my hopes to it that it will defy the laws of physics. It just ain't going to happen folks. We've been told this marketing malarkey before. Remember? First, it was H322 and then it was Benchmark. They were sold as "extreme" powders that could be shot at in Antarctica and Death valley on the same day with no change in velocities. Well, anyone with a half decent chronograph has seen the real results. Ok, they aren't bad but they aren't perfect either. Nothing is. Have no delusions, if you think you can ignore the wind flags just because you're shooting a new "pixie dust" powder, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

I hope this powder really works out and I believe it will be a great new tool, but that's all it can be I'm afraid. It will be a tool that will only work as good as the person using it.;)

The problems with the main problems

You can stuff the banana in the coconut in Hawaii and send it to Africa and the monkey will still eat it. This is about as much info as all of you trying to figure out a product that has only been tested by a few and has not been bought and shot by the mass.

The main problem with most of US benchrest shooters is Gun Handling and watching the condition and not your load. )chill(

are two: 1. The solution doesn't cost anything and 2. Fixing them is hard to do and requires work. Magic Dust, Magic Bullets and Hummer barrels are a much more palatable solution for many of us and we have an enormous thirst for Cool Aid :D

I hope this powder really works out and I believe it will be a great new tool, but that's all it can be I'm afraid. It will be a tool that will only work as good as the person using it.

True...

My hopes are simple... That Hodgdon / >>ADI<< produce a consitency between lots over the years as Jackie said and that this stuff meters like REAL 8208. Finally that its tune window is broad and not real TWEAKY!!!..

PV is shipping me my test 8lb lot of 8208XMR... Cautiously optimistic.:eek:

cale

Tom Libby Explained

Tom recently explained the reason for his existence in his post: " You can stuff the banana in the coconut in Hawaii and send it to Africa and the monkey will still eat it." On the surface it looks harmless but using computer personality large data analysis software this fits the typical profile of an international banana smuggler. Why he stuffs them into coconuts not to mention the extraordinary labor involved is puzzling. Tim

Tom recently explained the reason for his existence in his post: " You can stuff the banana in the coconut in Hawaii and send it to Africa and the monkey will still eat it." On the surface it looks harmless but using computer personality large data analysis software this fits the typical profile of an international banana smuggler. Why he stuffs them into coconuts not to mention the extraordinary labor involved is puzzling. Tim

hmmmmmm

And all this time the "banana" and the "coconut" have conjured images of deep Freudian significance for me....... as well as the "monkey" and "eating it"....

Guess this is why I've always found Rorschach tests to be so challenging.

at least I've given up my dream of being a helicopter...

and i feel MUCH better now........

thanks Tim

and Tom

:)

al

Alright

Which came first, the banana or the coconut? And, why did the banana cross the road?)chill(

Surprise, Surprise etc.

Jackie,

Hodgdon went away from the orange stickers a few years ago. When they aquired IMR they decided to change to simply printing the lot number on the side of the label. I guess that way they can't get peeled off.

My 8lb jugs have the orange sticker on each and every one of the jugs.

81021094773 (Nothing else is printed on the label).

GW

The main problem with most of US benchrest shooters is Gun Handling and watching the condition and not your load.

Tom,
"the bells of truth"--- I still have to police myself all the time on the gun handling,I don't believe that one can tune a rifle unless one's bag set up and gun handling is precise and repeatable; however, powder selection is a significant factor in getting and keeping a rifle working and having another real good powder choice available is nothing but good news for all BR shooters.
Are you really a comic book junky ?
Joel
p.s. Lou, you are"right on" in thanking Hodgdon for bringing this new powder to market ,and we all owe you a big "thank you" as well for your involvement. You accomplished something that no one else could, same with the March scopes( what's next, golf carts for everybody ?).I look forward to shooting this new 8208xbr as soon as I can get my grubby little hands on some.

Last edited:
Back