It disappeared??

spfld

My favorite stock bedding compound apparently has gone off the market. Micro Bed by the Micro Sight Co. It had a good moderately stiff consistency and did not run where it should'nt it was also a good medium brown color when both parts were mixed together. Never had to add stain as with some other brands. Last box I bought was somewhere back in the 1980's. Just wondering if any on the forum used it and if there is anything out there like it currently.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 464
I used micro bed at one time. As you say, it has disappeared.
I haven't been able to find it for over 20 years. Maybe I am not good at searching.
I switched to J-B Weld.

I remember using that stuff in the 70's or 80's.

I just dug out the old box of some I had left over from another time. One tube is wrapped in a baggy and pretty hard. The other tube is all right.

I suppose it is time to let it go...but no, I think I'll put it back in the box.

Yup, +1 for the J-B Weld. It's a little on the wet side to suit me when first mixed. With it's long setting time I just wait till it starts to get a little body before I use it. I read somewhere that Rit dye colors it but couldnt get it to blend, even when first mixed. I only use it where it cannot be seen. I smoothed up an oversized ragged edged barrel channel with J-B on a used Bell & Carlson stock someone had butchered. The stock was painted black, so when I got it all smoothed up I used a black Sharpie to blend the J-B with the rest of the stock. Looking ok a few years hence.
Lately Walnut stocks have taken a back seat to the laminates and fiberglass so color of bedding might not be much of a factor. If I find a job that must have color I would order a Brownell kit.
Can the Gray Marine Tex be colored somehow? Walmart.......sure easy to get at least. No waiting or shipping fees.

Last edited:
I remember using that stuff in the 70's or 80's.

I just dug out the old box of some I had left over from another time. One tube is wrapped in a baggy and pretty hard. The other tube is all right.

I suppose it is time to let it go...but no, I think I'll put it back in the box.

The reason I posted my question was that I just used the last little bit from that box from the 1980's. It still worked fine. Ya better hang on to your tubes. The tube with the black stuff is usually harder than the other. Mine was stored in a cool corner in the basement. I set the tubes a few feet from my woodstove for 1/2 an hour before I used them.

The marine-tex is used on the M14NM rifles and on the M40 sniper rifles. Both get painted on any exposed bedding. We have tested it to 10,000psi compression. We make the pillars out of it.

West Marine Products

West Marine sells their brand of polyester fiberglass resin and hardener and epoxy resin and hardener. The epoxy comes in both slow and quick cure. West Marine sells three different sizes of ground polyester filler as well as glass cloth. You can order any color pigments you want and mix and match colors.

For their epoxy they sell pumps (fitting the cans) that premeasure both the resin and hardener.

Years ago one could buy what was called flint compound. It was the consistency of wood putty and you just added hardener to it. It was used in boats to build up areas that needed more structural strength than could be provided with Bondo. I replicate this flint compound by using the West Marine 404 or 403 powdered polyester filler. It can be mixed with polyester resin or epoxy resin. Works great to bed recoil lugs.

Just add to the conversation
Nat Lambeth

I havent found were the color makes a difference in how well the rifle shoots. Most of the guns I build end up being painted camo anyway. And the match guns have been all sorts of colors from Black to Pink.

Well...that could be the next reason that a rifle that won't shoot. The bedding is the wrong color!

I'm adding that to my list of questions...What color is the bedding compound? What a great question and it takes a bit to change the color....

Back