Is It Time To Switch to a 22

jackie schmidt

With the new Sporter Rules, (provisional at the moment), doing away with any caliber restriction in classes, I am seriously thinking about stowing all of the 6PPC stuff in the closet and going all out for the 22PPC .100 short.

There is simply no reason not to shoot a 22 now. As Mike Ratigan said once, "It's almost like cheating".......jackie

Jackie, I think there's a lot of potential for the f.l. 22 PPC. If you haven't had a chance to try them in anything, R.G.'s 52's are really good.

Good shootin'. -Al

I think I am going to build a full size 22 PPC after reports from Lou Murdica with the new LT 32 powder.

Question

It is my understanding that if you have a 6PPC Sporter, 10.5 lbs that you have used for several years it is still ok to shoot in the 10.5 LV class. Or am I mistaken??
Centerfire

Jackie, it seems that Mike Ratigan is shooting the 6 PPC more than he is the 22 PPC-short these days. One reason he states for this is that there are better bullets available for the 6mm. Also, George Kelbly has given up his .220 Russian for the 6PPC. Since the change, he seems to be finishing higher in the rankings. I don't know if the trend is going back to the 6PPC, but it really seems thet way. James

Jackie,

I shoot the -.100 short some and my wife shoots it all the time. I also have a new barrel in -.080 short that needs to be tried. With the new powders, I think the 22 can come back alive. As far as bullets, I got some of the 52gr Bergers last spring and they shot many screamers in pratice.

With the rule change, I believe good bullets will be widely available. Hottenstein had some really good 22's on sierra jackets the last I spoke to him.

Hovis

speaking of screamers

if the rare occasion of shooting one does occur and ps mag used to issue the patches, does a screamer still exist?

Why stop at 22?

I have been working with a .20 - .160 short PPC. The little thing shoots real good and surprisingly little recoil. Using the 40gr. Berger BT and 8208 powder it likes anything from 3460 to 3550 fps. It sure shoots a lot of small groups, even at 200 yds.

I have been working with a .20 - .160 short PPC. The little thing shoots real good and surprisingly little recoil. Using the 40gr. Berger BT and 8208 powder it likes anything from 3460 to 3550 fps. It sure shoots a lot of small groups, even at 200 yds.

You are not going to trash your 6.5 are you?

Ronnie Cheek makes a great 22cal 52gr bullet. I love the 22ppc .100 short. Accurate 2015 makes mine come to life!! Lee

I used the 22 Beggs version for a few years and thought it worked better than my 6 PPC for me. It was easier to tune in my opinion. The case is real easy to use as you just fire the 220 Russian, neck turn it and go. No shortening needed. About the same capacity as the .100 short PPC. Maybe Berger could be persuaded to come up with a 22 version of their new 6mm column bullet if enough people are interested. I have not shot much short range lately, but this change may bring me back and I will use the 22 Beggs. I would definately try the new LT32 powder and use my bullets until Berger came out with one.

It is my understanding that if you have a 6PPC Sporter, 10.5 lbs that you have used for several years it is still ok to shoot in the 10.5 LV class. Or am I mistaken??
Centerfire

Of course you can. For all purposes, your old Sporter will just become a LV.

As Gene stated, nobody has to build a Rifle to the new provisional rules. It just allows you to do so if you so choose.

As was stated in a previous thread, the Rifle that can now be fired in all four classes will be a class legal LV. If built to take advantage of the new rules, a Sporter can only be fired in Sporter and Unlimited. A true HV, (13.5 LB), can only be fired in HV and Unlimited. And of course, a true Unlimited can only be fired in Unlimited.

As for bullets, I have heard that both Ronnie Cheeks and Barts both have excellent 22 dies.

There might be something to this, as I checked Bruno's web site, and every LV Profile 1-14 twist Krieger is on back order.

Berger is working on a 22 version of their column...will probably be a year or so before it is out.

Bart has his die and Watson's 22 die - both are great.
Cheeks die is a good one also.
Hottenstien has an excellant die.
Others have very good 22 dies

The current crop of common 22 dies are all about the same. At Jam, I have loaded and mixed cheeks, watson and barts together and shot them and they all went into the same tiny hole. The two problems with the 22's has been powder and jackets. Both of which seem to be a non-issue now.

An unlimited barrel in 22cal seems interesting.

Hovis

Sleep at the switch!

AS USUAL I AM A SLEEP AT THE SWITCH. COULD YOU PLEASE SUMMARIZE THE RULE CHANGE REGARDING .22s IN THE SPORTER FOR ME?

AS USUAL I AM A SLEEP AT THE SWITCH. COULD YOU PLEASE SUMMARIZE THE RULE CHANGE REGARDING .22s IN THE SPORTER FOR ME?

Reword Page 12 Item 5 to read, “SPORTER RIFLE. A Sporter Rifle is defined as any rifle having a safe manually and mechanically operated firing Mechanism and must not weigh more than 10 ½ pounds, inclusive of sights. The stock can be flat, or convex, but not concave. The Forearm can be any width and have any angle. The butt stock can have any angle including a reverse angle, the barrel would not be less than 18” long forward of the bolt face and can be any diameter or configuration including a straight taper or a reverse taper. The Sporter Rifle can be any caliber. Sporter Rifles do not have to conform to the Varmint Rifle diagram (on page 68 of Rev. Ed. No. 36). All sand bag rules will apply to the sporter rifle.”

Back