IMR 8208XT available real soon!

i'm trying to get my wholesaler to start a list now. he says late first qtr of 10.

mike in co

Actually---

No, Imr8208xbr is a new powder. AR2206 is a great powder, but is really too slow for the 6PPC. If AR2206 was the wonder powder, Aussies would have been winning a lot of matches with it and this is not the case.

As it stands, I think the USA will have Imr8208xbr powder before any Australians can get hold of it.

Its a tad slower than 3031 and a tad faster than 4895 accoriing to Criss Hodgdon. That puts it close to AR2206

Lou, sounds good

I am considering replacing my F-class rig in 6-250 AI with the 6x47L and that sounds very promising.
What lentgh barrel are you running?

Thanks, Steve

Lou

I have been shooting IMR-8208-XBR for over a year and I have done a lot of winning shooting it.

One of the great things about this particular powder is, I always shoot the same load whether I shoot it in Florida or Phoenix AZ.

I have never had to adjust for temperature or humidity.

After all the communications with Hodgdon, I now have nothing to do with the distribution or sales of this great powder because they

have decided to sell it on the open market, which is a plus for us.

The good people at Hodgdon are doing everything with regard to getting it out to all of us and considering how difficult this new

government administration is making it on anything to do with our sport, we should be appreciative. We should all be supporting and thankful to all the companies such as Hodgdon for helping us continue to enjoy our hobby.

I have been telling everyone to go to your powder dealers and order it. It is as easy as that.

As far as the Accurate powder, they told me that they were trying to bring back 2015 which was close to T32 before but, I have not seen or heard of anything since.

We have all complained about powder and now we have a company that has stepped up and given us what we wanted. Buy a jug and shoot it.

I have placed an order with Butch already .

LOU

What caliber rifle have you shot this in?

thanks ted,
gonna have to see how my current 8208's work in my 308br...

mike in co

Hmmm

I didn't notice a "3500 fps" load in that Hodgdon Manual.

Sounds about like 70,000+ psi :rolleyes:.......jackie

Last edited:
lou,
where would you put this powder compared to the original 8202 ?
i have one original thundbird lot and several later slower lots....

mike in co

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't notice a "3500 fps" load in that Hodgdon Manual.

Sounds about like 70,000+ psi :rolleyes:.......jackie

Well
You know Hodgdon is trying to follow the SAAMI 52,000 CUP limit.
With our good Lapua brass and custom actions we normally start load development at those velocities.
8208 XBR seems to be fairly slow by PPC standards since even the Hodgdon data shows compressed loads with it.
Keeping within SAAMI specs it seems to show about a 40 fps velocity advantage over 4198 with a 65 grain bullet and about 55 fps advantage over BM with the 70 grain bullet.
IF it is going to offer any advantage it will be in consistency and accuracy. Not velocity.
I have asked my dealer to order me 8 lbs.
I suspect it will be great for the 257TEDNE+P+

Ted

Everybody is getting all exited about the velocity potential but frankly it doesn't interest me.
I wouldn't care if I could only get 1500 fps as long as it would help me shoot smaller groups.
It isn't a race to the target.
I hope it is fine grained like the original.
Ted

3500 fps ???

If you are looking for a consistent 3500fps out of this current lot of IMR8208XBR with a 6PPC you aren't going to get it within the common chamberings and bullets used today.

First, it does not take 3500fps in the 6PPC to shoot winning groups. I seriously doubt if ANY of the 2009 IBS or NBRSA Nationals winners were shooting anywhere near 3500fps.

In the Spring of 2009 when we were testing the first IMR8208XBR, I chambered a new Krieger 14 twist barrel with the 6PPC JGS#1045 reamer that has 0.060" freebore. I was shooting the 65 grain Berger on the 0.825" jacket. The Lapua cases with a tightly compressed load of 31.7 grains chronographed 3340fps. This barrel is 21.5" long and the velocity is uncorrected from Oehler screens set 12' from the muzzle.

Pressure

I am hoping that the best agging potential is down in the "sanity" level, mid 50,000 range.

I shoot 133 "hot" because where we shoot, that seems to be where the best agging capability lies.

I would love to have a mid 3300 load that has true Benchrest agging capability. That is what I am hoping for with this new powder.......jackie

I am hoping that the best agging potential is down in the "sanity" level, mid 50,000 range.

I shoot 133 "hot" because where we shoot, that seems to be where the best agging capability lies.

I would love to have a mid 3300 load that has true Benchrest agging capability. That is what I am hoping for with this new powder.......jackie
Jackie, you may get just that. Jim Carmichels winning loads were in the 55,000 range as tested by Hodgdons analysis of his loads. They were 53,700 CUP at 0F - 55,300 CUP at 70F, - and 55,800 CUP at 125F. How's that for consistency under a temperature swing of 125F?

Back