IMR 8208XT available real soon!

Cale, I had written Hodgdon several years ago about the possibility of bringing back T322 or GI322. I wish I had kept the letter that I received from them. The basic gist of the letter was that they had no intention of manufacturing it
They told me about the same thing. This was just after Tom Dierken at IMR had expressed interest for producing some at IMR in August 2003, this was just before Hodgdon got the rights to market IMR in the US in October 2003. I still have the emails from both of them.

We even sent a jug of IMR8208M/45710 to the IMR folks . We had passed it off to Bill Krazenski at the 2003 IBS Nationals since Bill lives in Horse Head, NY and their US delivery point was in Plattsburg, NY.

T32 Powder

What made the T32 so special? Was it more consistent than other powders or were there other factors?

Lou Baccino

having never shot that powder, but having 4 lots of 8208...some very early and some late, one noticable characteristic is small grain size. it flows thru a powder measure more consistant than any other powder i have tried in a rifle load.

a newer slower lot has done very well in my br ar15/223......finally getting under .2 and yes i'm still new at this.

mike in co

What made the T32 so special? Was it more consistent than other powders or were there other factors?

Lou Baccino
I would say it is just memories of the good old days (remember the good old days?), but these guys who still have some of Walt Berger's original T32 are still using it in many of the big shoots and still winning with it.

Looking at the late 1970's-early 1980's articles in PS magazine, this powder was mostly shot in 3050-3150 fps range. It seems that V133 must be shot balls-to-the-wall.

When I first shooting benchrest I could go through 6-10 cycles of reloading before I had to F/L resize those cases. When I quit shooting V133 in 2003 I had to F/L after each loading.

At least two of the old legends of benchrest insist that we are shooting too fast. Notice that the 600/1000 yard shooters seldom go over 3000 fps even though they have increased the 6BR to 6BRX, 6XC, etc and could go much faster.

(later)

This is not to say V133 can not be made to shoot. If you look at the 2009 IBS and NBRSA Nationals, some of the folks have learned to shoot V133 very well. And they are having to learn V133 since most all the old T's and 8's are about gone. Supposedly some the newer V133/07 lots are doing much better than previous. What has changed? Dunno.
(I do think there are atmospheric conditions that V133 can not beat the original T32 or even some of the older lots of 8208)

Last edited:
IMR 8208 XBR is definitely made in Australia.

This is what I've heard from the begining... I just don't know.....

Just strange that Hodgdon would package a powder under the IMR lable AND then turn the bottle around to see a "Made in Australia" indicator.

In the USA, this is what shooters here see...

Just look at EVERY Hodgdon labled Hodgdon packaged can of powder >>>Single Based Stick powder not Double Based ball powder<<< does it not say "made in Australia"...

Just as the IMR labled Hodgdon packaged cans of powder, does it not say "Made in Canada"......

Maby...

IMR has pattens on the name "8208" and or shares in the development of this new 8208xbr, then ADI produces the stuff, Hodgdon packages it with >>IMR<< on the can with "Made in Australia" on the back.. Again I don't know.

Beating a dead horse I know..............
Maby Chris Hodgdon can clear all this up. We'll just have to see what's on the cans as well...

Me, I just hope the new 8208XBR kernal size is EXACTLY duplicated as ole T32/8208........... Very important in my book!

(I do think there are atmospheric conditions that V133 can not beat the original T32 or even some of the older lots of 8208)
Yes sir Jerry, totally agree!

cale

Cale, Isn't 133 make in Europe? What difference does it make the IMR is made in Australia? I must be missing something.
Butch

T32 Powder

Looking at the late 1970's-early 1980's articles in PS magazine, this powder was mostly shot in 3050-3150 fps range. It seems that V133 must be shot balls-to-the-wall.

When I first shooting benchrest I could go through 6-10 cycles of reloading before I had to F/L resize those cases. When I quit shooting V133 in 2003 I had to F/L after each loading.

Jerry,
It also looks like it can also perform in other cartridges like the 6mm BR, whereas the V133 seems to be the preferred powder for the 6PPC. This is what I've deduced from reading all of the posts. I've had great results using VV135 in a 6mm BR and will be reading, with interest, how others make out with this powder. It makes me wonder why they waited so long to come out with it as it sounds like they've already created a demand.

Lou

We shouldn't care where it is made as long as it shoots! Many thanks to Lou and Hodgdon for bringing a new powder to market. More choices are a good thing.

Jeff

Does anybody know where this 8208XT will fall on the burn rate chart?

Also I don't think it is that new.
How new could it be if it is currently being loaded in military ammo and factory ammo.
There press statement says "Currently loaded in premium factory sniper type ammunition ". So it has been out there for a while if manufacturers have had time to work up, test, market and sell loads.
I think it is something that they have had around for a while and decided to market it under the 8208 name.

I believe this might be AR 2206.

On another note if Vihtavuori wants to survive in the US they need to get rid of Hodgdon as their distributor. They haven't made the powder any more available than it was before but they have managed to bump the price by over 30 percent while the price of their Hodgdon branded powders have only risen about 10 to 14 percent.

I am going to go ahead and buy some. I hope it works well.
Ted

New Powder

Friday, I jumped into the deep end. I called Amy at Brunos and ordered 2 'hazmats', (96 pounds), of the new Powder. Might as well see for myself........jackie

...Looking at the late 1970's-early 1980's articles in PS magazine, this powder was mostly shot in 3050-3150 fps range. ...

There's one variable that you're not seeing with the powder ranges that were being shot in those days. We were shooting Sako balloon head brass. This brass just wouldn't take the loads that are currently being shot today. 27.5 gr of 322 was just about a standard load then.

I was up at Jim Farley's one day a few years back and saw where a shooter had mistakenly put his Lapua brass load in a Sako balloon head case. The case head blew and drove the sliding plate extractor into the threads so hard that the imprint of the threads was on the back of the extractor.

The Lapua cases will flat just take pressures that the Sako brass would never have taken.

Jerry

No. Amy said that Hogdon was being extremely closed lipped about everything, but when it did hit town they would, as major retailers, certainly be in position to supply the powder to their customers.

I simply got on the backorder list with everybody else......jackie

get on a list...

Cale, Isn't 133 make in Europe? What difference does it make the IMR is made in Australia? I must be missing something.
Butch

Your correct Butch, it does not matter... I'll drop it.

Many are scared of commitment. It is as simple as calling your favorite powder dealer and getting on the backorder list. The sooner you get on a waiting list, the quicker your order will be filled when the product does reach the retail market. Jackie

I do just this Jackie.

cale

I think a lot of you guys are overlooking Benchmark. I have been working with it lately and I have gotten around 3500 fps with a 66 grain bullet. However it seems to shoot best, at least in my barrels, at around 29-30 grains =/-, which equals about 3320 or so. The only problems I have seen that I am buying it in 1lb containers and there seems to be a difference in the lot numbers. At least that is what I think.?????. I can get 31 grains in a ppc case with no problems.

Donald

Lou ...

I HATE THE INTERNET JUST BECAUSE OF THIS.

1. It's not t32 it's IMR8208XBR, There are 4 things that resemble T. It shoots, the size of the granules, the speed and the accuracy.

2. Is it out yet??? NO!!!! It's coming soon. Read the post.

3. Is it a new powder??? Do you have some??? No, because it's new and the
Military Boys comes first.

4. Whats the burning rate? What does it matter, it shoots in a ppc.
You can load it up to 3500fps with a 68grain bullet. That's the rate.

5. Do you want some?? Get on a order list. There is none in stock yet.

The one thing you don't want to do is bog down Hodgdon with a bunch
of calls. Every call cost them money!

I agree with all you've had to say. However, their press release is soliciting phone calls and questions. Apparently they want inquires. Perhaps to determine the amount of interest out there, beyond the obvious. :)

I am on the backorder list with my supplier. He said they first said available in the fall. Now he says they are saying late January. In either case I am not looking for mine until the Luther match in March.

Donald

I HATE THE INTERNET JUST BECAUSE OF THIS.

1. It's not t32 it's IMR8208XBR, There are 4 things that resemble T. It shoots, the size of the granules, the speed and the accuracy.

2. Is it out yet??? NO!!!! It's coming soon. Read the post.

3. Is it a new powder??? Do you have some??? No, because it's new and the
Military Boys comes first.

4. Whats the burning rate? What does it matter, it shoots in a ppc.
You can load it up to 3500fps with a 68grain bullet. That's the rate.

5. Do you want some?? Get on a order list. There is none in stock yet.

The one thing you don't want to do is bog down Hodgdon with a bunch
of calls. Every call cost them money!

Lou:

I appreciate your post and clearing up all the speculation and misinformation. I'm looking forward to getting this powder and appreciate your efforts in making it happen.

Thanks;

Jeff

Back