Hornady 6 ARC

The Grinch is a 6.5 Grendel necked to 6mm and improved to 40 degrees (the Grendel's shoulder is 0.070" farther forward than the PPC's). This ARC is just a PPC with the 30 degree shoulder moved ahead 0.041".

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

To make a PPC improved a 40 degree shoulder is the place to start. Ferris and I went forward 0.035 on the neck/shoulder then swung the 40 degree shoulder through that. That makes about 3.5 grains more capacity.

Walt Berger did make a 90 grain bullet, I think on a 0.950 jacket. Those were packaged 1,000/box. We were shooting that. Ferris’s notes was “the first 6 went exactly through the same hole”. His range out his back door was only about 75 yards.

When I shot that atthe IBS 600 at Oak Ridge i got a 2nd, a 3rd, a 4th and a 5th. That, we called the 6-40 Dune.

I seem to recall that Ferris and Lou experimented with an lengthened PPC case, 1.700" or so long. Just a shot in the dark here but if that's true does anyone have one of those cases? PM me please.

Dave - Lou and Ferris advertised the 1.750" PPC case in Precision Shooting back in the mid-80's. But at that time I think they were only taking pre-orders. Not sure if Sako ever made any for them. If I can find the ad, I'll scan and post it.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Last edited:
Thanks Lee
I knew there was at least talk of a longer version. Ferris was not shy when it came to showing off new ideas. I never saw him with a longer version in hand. I was hoping someone that helped clean out his things might have one I could lay my hands on for a little while.

the grinch is a 6.5 grendel necked to 6mm and improved to 40 degrees (the grendel's shoulder is 0.070" farther forward than the ppc's). This arc is just a ppc with the 30 degree shoulder moved ahead 0.041".

-lee
www.singleactions.com
the grendel is a copy of ppc case that bill brawand made up from a 25 cal remer from dave kipp palmusino drove to bills early one morning to pick up 2 cases after talking to him night before bill made 65 blts for them later palmsino said they broke all records this was a pistol i killed 6 woodchucks and one buck i fluted the barrel put on muszzel brak2 and fajen pistol stock one woodchuck was 171 yrds

Factory ammo is all I see here. Lapua 6.5 Grendel brass is gonna be hard to beat. And you can likely push the shoulder back enough to duplicate this without much trouble, should you want to, but I don't see the reasoning...Just not enough difference, IMHO.
I've been shooting a straight 6 Grendel for a while now and have been very pleased with it. I see this as being targeted toward the AR crowd(hence the low 52,000psi max) and those that don't handload, more than anything.

If there is Factory Ammo available, I can simply buy some and pull the bullets. I checked with all of the major suppliers, everyone is out.

I have several 1-12 twist barrels on hand. If I had the brass, I could have it shooting in a couple of days.

Anybody got some they would sell me.?

Last edited:
I do not understand the 52kpsi
223 is 55kpsi
and 308 is 62kpsi
both in ar platforms
why start handicapped ?

I do not understand the 52kpsi
223 is 55kpsi
and 308 is 62kpsi
both in ar platforms
why start handicapped ?

308 is AR10 based, larger bolt.
Research how bolt thrust is calculated. A smaller diameter case generates lower bolt thrust than a larger diameter. Look up max saami pressures for a bolt gun and then do some math, factoring in the different calculated bolt thrust figures. It becomes apparent that the pressures are adjusted down by the difference in bolt thrust for service rifles vs bolt guns.

308 is AR10 based, larger bolt.
Research how bolt thrust is calculated. A smaller diameter case generates lower bolt thrust than a larger diameter. Look up max saami pressures for a bolt gun and then do some math, factoring in the different calculated bolt thrust figures. It becomes apparent that the pressures are adjusted down by the difference in bolt thrust for service rifles vs bolt guns.

It’s up to Skilled Hand Loaders to bring the case to it’s true potential.

Back