Hornady 6 ARC

It’s up to Skilled Hand Loaders to bring the case to it’s true potential.

I agree but my post was in regard to why saami max is so low being relevant to gas guns and how bolt thrust is calculated/factors in. Really nothing to do with what we do.

mike
ar15 is 55kpsi...why limit the new to 52 ?
yes there is 5.56 and 223 but in the usa 99% are shot the same as a 223.

308 is AR10 based, larger bolt.
Research how bolt thrust is calculated. A smaller diameter case generates lower bolt thrust than a larger diameter. Look up max saami pressures for a bolt gun and then do some math, factoring in the different calculated bolt thrust figures. It becomes apparent that the pressures are adjusted down by the difference in bolt thrust for service rifles vs bolt guns.

mike
ar15 is 55kpsi...why limit the new to 52 ?
yes there is 5.56 and 223 but in the usa 99% are shot the same as a 223.

I'm no expert here but one reason I can see is that the AR's are delicate liddle beasties and 52K spread over the longer impulse of the larger case may well be where the balance point is reached.... .223/5.56 is 55k with a teeeny weeeny boltface on a long slim case. The ARC produces higher boltface pressure numbers by dint of it's increase in area.

I ran the numbers on my 50 Fart which is sub-freakin-sonic, ridiculously low pressure, through the AR15 to find it to be useless on the 15 platform........ so I stepped it up to the AR10 and STILL I can't shoot the bullets it's designed for.

I've spent conversational time with the fellow who worked out the 458 SOCOM as well as the guy who pioneered the 50 Beowulf and in both cases was told "DO NOT" attempt to shoot my heavy-bullet subsonic loads because I'd crack the fragile AR receivers.

I've spent conversational time with the fellow who worked out the 458 SOCOM as well as the guy who pioneered the 50 Beowulf and in both cases was told "DO NOT" attempt to shoot my heavy-bullet subsonic loads because I'd crack the fragile AR receivers.
Al,

Are either of the two gentlemen familiar with Noreen Firearms' "Bad News" version of the AR action? It is chambered for the .338 Lapua, so might be suitable for your needs.
Link: https://onlylongrange.com/bad-news-338-lapua-magnum/

Now I know what to do with my old barrels. Billy has been talking about doing this since I met him. 6PPC in AR

Bolt thrust is calculated in pounds per square inch. Going from .376" to .440" is a 17% increase in thrust. That's a stretch for a system that wasn't initially designed to handle that load.
Now consider who the first adopter is. And yes I know who it is. In SAAMI form this has to function 100% of the time. That means no breakage or stoppage of any kind from -20 to 160 degrees or people may die.
So go ahead and quibble over 3,000 PSI.

Back