honing of super-accurate rifle barrels

Johnson

Aside from scribing a line down the length of a barrel and then cutting it up into 2" sections, and comparing the difference in wall thickness in relation to that originol scribed line, (yes, I have done it), you just rely on your trained eye to look through the thing as it is turning in the lathe.........jackie

After a quick search. It seems the the gentleman in the article just makes the machinery to ream barrel bores. As a added note. He made his big bucks designing the process to make two liter pop bottles. Randy

Last edited:
After a quick search. It seems the the gentleman in the article just makes the machinery to ream barrel bores. As a added note. He made his big bucks designing the process to make two liter pop bottles. Randy

Your right he did make his money in the injection molding industry, but he is a barrel manufacturer not a machinery maker.

I remember a PS article where somebody tested 22 RF barrels, and indexed them, rotating them 360 deg, with the tightest groups coming from the barrel in the position of the lowest grouping. That is, the curve of the bore was going down towards the muzzle. It would seem that this would cause the least sideways force on the barrel, as the bullet went down the barrel, because the natural trajectory is down, due to gravity. Has anybody tried to duplicate this result?? Rotating the barrel on v blocks, with a laser boresighter in the muzzle end would give you the proper indexing of the curve, I would think. Anybody tried this with centerfire BR barrels?? Am I off topic, or just 1/2 a bubble off, as usual?

Last edited by a moderator:
Send that resume to Red Jacket Firearms!! From watching that Sons of Guns TV fiasco, they could use somebody that talented!

I had to quit watching the show.
The owner was so arrogant, hateful and rude I am surprised he wasnt shot by one of his own employees.
Everything they shot blew up......?

All of those stupid Reality Shows that feature building things are a joke. That Sons of Guns is an insult to any serious Rifle or Gun Enthusiest. That stupid "shotgun Gatlyn Gun" had to be the dumbest thing ever.

The absolute worst was, is, American Chopper. Would you have that bunch of clowns build you anything that cost over $500? They beat a bunch of sheet metal into a shape and stack a bunch of parts that anybody can buy out of a catelogue and end up with a Motorcycle that is impracticle, ill handling, and atrocious to ride. I know a guy that bought one, and paid $55,000 dollars for it. It's like riding a pogo stick.

Besides, the true heroes of that show are the "mud men", you know, the body work guys that slab all of that Bondo on all of that 'precision fabrication' in order to make it look good.

Vern is right. I run a Machine Shop, and if I talked to my employees the way all of these Bozos do, they would leave, just after putting a fist in my face.

I like Pawn Stars, although I would actually like to see them SELL something every now and then. They are always saying stuff like, "there are collectors out there would would die for this stuff'. OK, show us..........jackie

Last edited:
I like to watch mad dad, and the boy's weld on sharp object's, or attack the frame with a step drill. American Choppers, does some one really insure that business.

I like the Pawn show based in Detroit. That guy is amusing! He doesn't take any crap but then it's easy to do with 4 "goons" to back ya up. I like the show all the same.

Then there's the show with the Gun Dealer out West somewhere; Colorado perhaps who is dealing in guns in the several hundred K catagory, going to see them in his Jet Ranger. Different kinda gun shop than I'm use to seeing, I must say.

My guess is the pawn show based in Detroit is more main stream of pawn shops, pawn Stars is my favorite you got to love the old man.

As for Sons Of Guns, I don't think they are doing our second amendment rights any good.

Last edited:
Back