Here is something that might never happen again in my lifetime.

jackie schmidt

Hey, it snowed in Houston last night, and we woke up to cars and a little ground covered.

I had to drive over to Orange to look at a job at WestPort Shipyard. I got on the road at 5:AM.

All the way, I drove through a rather beautiful site compared to the usual mundane rice fields and pastures.

When I got to Orange, I passed the City Hall, with it's Christmas Decorations all set up, covered in snow.

And three was Santa, in his sleigh, with the raindeer hooked up...

In Orange Texas.....,,,in the snow!!

What are the odds. It made a great, possibly once in a lifetime picture

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20438&stc=1&d=1512780871

Attachments

• IMG_2217.JPG
    IMG_2217.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 995
Last edited:
Jackie that may be

A once in a lifetime experience for you in Texas.

I would love to see a 50 or 60 degree day here in Manitoba in December with NO snow. Odds of that......nil......

Glad you had an opportunity to get this on film.....lol.....film.....okay SD card.

Merry Christmas
Calvin

Snow

Something I will never forget. I was on an assignment in Miami,Fla in January 1977. It snowed in Miami and some surrounding counties. I got pictures of it on slide film.

Thanks for the Pictures Jackie.

Glenn

Snow In Houston

Although I never officially "lived" in Houston, I commuted to work there for many years in the 1970's and 1980's. In on Monday morning and out on Friday afternoon. I can remember at least 3 times there were snow or ice storms. A hog on ice has nothing on Houstonian drivers on a slick freeway! Vic

All right I have just one question........When did Frosty the snowman becomepart of the nativity scene ?

As an aside all you guys are getting pounded and here in upstate NY I'm still looking at green grass. Figure it must be because I bought my season ski pass this week.

Last edited:
Although I never officially "lived" in Houston, I commuted to work there for many years in the 1970's and 1980's. In on Monday morning and out on Friday afternoon. I can remember at least 3 times there were snow or ice storms. A hog on ice has nothing on Houstonian drivers on a slick freeway! Vic

Damn few folks from any place can handle black ice as it was a normal road.

Black ice is nasty

Damn few folks from any place can handle black ice as it was a normal road.
Years ago when I was stationed at Plattsburgh AFB NY , my wife went to Burlington VT for Christmas shopping. On the way back to the ferry to NY she hit a patch of black ice on the interstate and went off the road into a gully in the median. She had eight fractures in her spine and spent four months on her back in a hospital in Burlington. I spent a lot of time on the ferry going to visit her 2-3 days a week. It's really hard to see that black ice at night.

Butch: No black ice. Just 2 or 3" of the powdery white stuff! Vic

Vic,
I'm an Okie that has lived in Texas for several years. I did live in Alaska for about 8 years. The folks that had the most trouble are the people with their 4WD. They finally figured it out. Helped in deep snow, but little other advantage.

Here is something that might nor happenn again in my lifetime

Let me update Tims report/
we now have 12 inches of snow and more coming with low temps for the next 4 days.
No More green grass here

Vic,
I'm an Okie that has lived in Texas for several years. I did live in Alaska for about 8 years. The folks that had the most trouble are the people with their 4WD. They finally figured it out. Helped in deep snow, but little other advantage.

You are so right.

Mort

Ask and it shall be given

Hey, it snowed in Houston last night, and we woke up to cars and a little ground covered.

I had to drive over to Orange to look at a job at WestPort Shipyard. I got on the road at 5:AM.

All the way, I drove through a rather beautiful site compared to the usual mundane rice fields and pastures.

When I got to Orange, I passed the City Hall, with it's Christmas Decorations all set up, covered in snow.

And three was Santa, in his sleigh, with the raindeer hooked up...

In Orange Texas.....,,,in the snow!!

What are the odds. It made a great, possibly once in a lifetime picture

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20438&stc=1&d=1512780871

It happened again in this lifetime. Snow and ice in Houston,Tx. The news media all over Texas is talking about it. Just goes to show,never say never.

It was 6 degrees in Denton,Tx(about 40 miles north of Downtown Dallas) this morning. No snow.
Just to make a comparison, it was 27 in Fairbanks,AK.

There is an old saying,down here in Texas,..If you don’t like the weather,just wait awhile.

Glenn

Back