Has Anybody Built, or Seen, a Sporter Based On The New Provisional Rule?

The most important feature of this rule is it has no affect on a shooter using his existing Rifle, (ie, a LV)), in any class.

If you think a wider stock and different barrel contour will help you in Sporter, go for it. If you can spare the weight, it might be as simple as attaching a piece of epoxy coated balsa wood onto the forearm of your LV.

Last edited:
not provisional

This rule is not provisional -- it's the rule now and has been for several years

I built this rifle a few years ago and have not had a chance to shoot it yet to see what it's got

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php...ent.php?attachmentid=15899&stc=1&d=1424139293

Maybe I'll get to it this year This rifle can be configured to shoot as a LV or HV as well -- so it's the all purpose rifle --

I also hear that John Horn has built a Sporter to the new rules I'm not sure what it looks like ??

Gene Bukys

Attachments

• 1397924_10202277721488306_1921365398_o.jpg
    1397924_10202277721488306_1921365398_o.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 512
  • 1397924_10202277721608309_1162747845_o.jpg
    1397924_10202277721608309_1162747845_o.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 372
  • 1397924_10202277721728312_1001348785_o.jpg
    1397924_10202277721728312_1001348785_o.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 357
I saw a stock at Holton last year that Bob Scarborough was making for the Sporter class. 5" or so wide forend, no taper in the butt. Didn't look at it very closely. It was Scott Hunter's stock so expect to see it this year at some of the regions sporter class matches. John could have wound up with the stock instead of Scott.

Last edited:
I wonder how many folks get discouraged waiting, or die while waiting on benchrest related supplies. If a new shooter had the money and wanted to get into the game he would have to wait a year and a half to shoot by the time he gathered up all his new stuff.

Later
Dave

Last edited:
I wonder how many folks get discouraged waiting or die while waiting on benchrest related supplies. If a new shooter had the money and wanted to get into the game he would have to wait a year and a half to shoot by the time he gathered up all his new stuff.

Later
Dave

Well said Dave. Tony

And then finding out the gun you waited so long for is just average.

Joe Hynes

Yeh. Or in order to make it work, you have to send it off and have several "problems" fixed.

The last I heard, there is a cottage industry that has cropped up "fixing" some of the more popular actions. But I have been out of the loop for a while, maybe the manufacturers have addressed these.

But Benchrest has always had this. Top shooters know little tricks of the trade that do make their equipment just a cut above. They didn't just stumble upon this knowledge, it is gained through hours of meticulous trial, and often error, finding out what works, and what is just a solution in search of a problem.

I think the correct term for that is "dedication".

Years ago, a very well known shooter from out in the west Texas area told me he considered every brand of action a "kit", except the Panda. Probably some truth in that still.

Last edited:
Sporter

Stock design is just one of the things that we can learn more about with this new design freedom. I also believe there is yet a lot to be learned about barrel harmonics. Has anyone noticed that the faster we try to drive bullets, the harder it is to keep the gun in tune? Is this because of more rapid heat build up, or that the nodes are closer together as velocity increases, causing every little variable to be magnified? Has anyone besides Skip Otto ever tried to control barrel temps or vibrations by enclosing the steel barrel in a liquid with an aluminum outer shell? Just some examples.

This platform would allow so much new experimentation and advancement in knowledge and accuracy potential. But the thing that is still a huge barrier is that there are not enough matches in which to try out new options. Until we as the benchrest shooters demand that matches include the new sporter platform, we are just providing lip service and not committing to any real possibility for anyone to learn from this opportunity.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant. I want this to work for the sake of our sport. Unless we really get behind the concept of change, we are going to loose participants who have no hope of competing with those who have the money for tons of equipment, money for travel and money and time for practice. And even those folks will eventually become frustrated with not having anyone to compete against anymore.

I think many in this sport are overlooking the value of having ..........................................................................what???????

Yeh. Or in order to make it work, you have to send it off and have several "problems" fixed.

Years ago, a very well known shooter from out in the west Texas area told me he considered every brand of action a "kit", except the Panda. Probably some truth in that still.

I rest my case!!

The only known problem that has exited with the Panda was that the bolt handle was silver soldered on and in an extreme situation the handle could come unsoldered.

This story CCBW was involved in. He and his shooting pard HFV were at a shoot, Rockingham IIRC, and HFV somehow jammed up the action... (Too much of the grey stuff??), anyhow, he broke the handle off. He and CCBW called the action builder GK Sr for an idea on a quick fix. Mr action builder had them go to the store and get a bottle of Super Glue and glue the handle back on. They did and HFV finished the shoot with the now glued on handle.

That was a 1995 Panda affectionately called the Bowling Ball because of its obnoxious colored stock. One can still see the gouges in the bolt flutes where HFV and CCBW pried the bolt open. I know that story well as I now own that action. The Bowling Ball stock is now retired and has been replaced with a Leonard stock. I'd guess that action has had over 25,000 rounds through it and it will travel to the Shamrock with me in just a few weeks.

I notice on my latest Panda of 2012 vintage that the bolt handles are now TIG welded instead of silvered. My Pandas range in vintage of 1992 to 2012 and all function flawlessly. They sometimes wish they had a better driver though!!

The 222 again

Not tricked out in any unusual way (yet), but I've got a new .222 in the works for my Sporter experiment for this season. Thought is that the PPC dominated the deuce because it was good, and because a 6mm was required. Without the 6 requirement I decided to see how competitive the old cartridge could be with all our modern build techniques. I'm kind of limited on how radical the changes can be because I don't plan on investing in new rest components until I see how it plays.

Rod

How competitive is the deuce nowadays?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back