gunsmith excersise.....

all of this while i was gone working for the weekend.......the good news..i made money!

the rifle has all of 21 rounds thru it in its current config.

yes to "prove" its a 1/2 moa gun i need to shoot some more.
inspite of some comments , the rifle is in the hunting catagory, not the benchrest catagory....
so the shooting, as i have said, will be in three shot groups....
al,
before i start, how many wind flags do hunters use ???

for those that do not pay attention i have machining experience, but not gunsmithing experience.

most of what i do/know in gunsmithing came from this forum, significantly from jackie.

thanks all
mike in co

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this will stir you up, but I do have one set up at the deer lease and some surveyor's tape on the trees. I'm not shooting group out there, just would like a clean kill.

naw, just giving Al a bad time since he wants br certification of the 1/2 moa claim( 5x5)......
i did forget to ask him if there was a seven min limit on my 3 shot strings or do we lower that to 5 ?? 4??
mike in co
ps:
i bought a romainin 44 carbine this weekend ..it has the same excellent bore...but i am out of scope mounts...hmmmmmm

I know this will stir you up, but I do have one set up at the deer lease and some surveyor's tape on the trees. I'm not shooting group out there, just would like a clean kill.

shot the rifle again today with a slightly heavier bullet.
still n135 powder
9 shot ladder test .5 gr steps from 44 to 48 gr.
worked out to 2550 to 2800 fps.
shots 2/3/4(44.5/45/45/5gr)(2608/2620/2658) went in to .325"...not bad for a 1gr powder spread...will go back with that at 44.7 i think
shots 8/9(47.5/48) (2776/2807) went in to .255..again not bad, but not sure i want to shot that fast....
WORK GOES ON...

mike in co
ps
i think al is right..it aint no 1/2 moa rifle....

i shot some loads on sunday am and was shooting patterns, not groups....had me confused.
i had 2 shots in .023...yep same hole and the third went out an inch and a quarter...no groups...
scratching head.....
went to process the brass for the next round and bingo..i had used the wrong neck sizing die...so lite /inconsistant neck tension.
back out this am re shot
44.5 gr 0.756 2575 fps
45.0 gr 1.063 2606 fps
45.5 gr .516 2637 fps
44.7 gr .729 2586 fps
this was sierra 168 mk seconds....three shot groups at 100yds very lite wind.
nothing outstanding but not bad either.
mike in co

Not to pick at nits re:accuracy claims but if those are 1" squares (they may well be 1/2") you can hardly claim that it's a <1/2 MOA rifle based on one 3 shot group. As Allan Hall once remarked, "You can miss a shot into a group just like you can miss one out of a group." After all that work you still have a hideous looking rifle that shoots so-so.

Not meaning to belittle your efforts if that's how you want to spend your time, though.

mikey,
i agree its ugly!
so far all has been load development. no groups. two of the loads were 1/2 moa or less.
the only load tuning i can do with this rifle is bullet weight and powder..the jump is about a half mile....ok over 1/4 inch.
so with 2 different bullets each showed a load at the 1/2 moa mark...one more bullet to try and then maybe some groups.
time is pretty valuable right now....
yes i know i could be working on the 1000 yd gun..but i seldom get the same weekend off as the matches..so this is just fun.
its just cheap entertainment at this point.
mike in co
Not to pick at nits re:accuracy claims but if those are 1" squares (they may well be 1/2") you can hardly claim that it's a <1/2 MOA rifle based on one 3 shot group. As Allan Hall once remarked, "You can miss a shot into a group just like you can miss one out of a group." After all that work you still have a hideous looking rifle that shoots so-so.

Not meaning to belittle your efforts if that's how you want to spend your time, though.

mikey,
i agree its ugly!
so far all has been load development. no groups. two of the loads were 1/2 moa or less.

Hi Mike, I'm not intending to crap all over your thread like another poster did. However, I think most of us would agree that the benchmark of five consecutive 5-shot groups at 100y, as the American Rifleman magazine has done for decades, is the reasonable standard for assessing whether a rifle is 1/2 MOA or whatever.

A/R doesn't distinguish between hunting rifles and target rifles, and thus allow 3-shot groups for the former. I once put 3 consecutive shots (all required in the course of fire) at 600y into 2". That doesn't mean I had a 1/3 MOA load or rifle. It just means I got lucky along with the right combo of gear and conditions.

Five consecutive 5-round groups with that rifle at 100y were typically between 1/2" and 3/4". So I considered it a "sub-MOA" rifle. :)

i do not disagree with what a/r does..but thier choice of ammo is often questionable.
wrong weight for twist/cartridge.
wrong quality for the gun.
they test NEW guns from the factory( not off the rack from a store).....as in just how cherry is the SAMPLE they are sent ?
tell me when was the last time you got FIVE shots at the same animal when hunting?? and if it took five why are you hunting ??
i will stick with weatherby ...3 shot groups for a hunting rifle.
do not get tie up in a knot over this...again it is all of $99......
i'm fairly confident it is a sub MOA RIFLE, the question is it a 1/2moa rifle ?
mike in co
Hi Mike, I'm not intending to crap all over your thread like another poster did. However, I think most of us would agree that the benchmark of five consecutive5-shot groups at 100y, as the American Rifleman magazine has done for decades, is the reasonable standard for assessing whether a rifle is 1/2 MOA or whatever.

A/R doesn't distinguish between hunting rifles and target rifles, and thus allow 3-shot groups for the former. I once put 3 consecutive shots (all required in the course of fire) at 600y into 2". That doesn't mean I had a 1/3 MOA load or rifle. It just means I got lucky along with the right combo of gear and conditions.

Five consecutive 5-round groups with that rifle at 100y were typically between 1/2" and 3/4". So I considered it a "sub-MOA" rifle. :)

today i shot a bit heavier bullet in a 9 step ladder. 174's/311 dia.
.5 grain steps went from 2571 to 2805fps.
shots 4,5,6,7 went in just under .6. so it would look like the place to try some accuracy.
thier spread was 2655 to 2759...
and shots 8/9 are touching at 2800 fps..but faster than i think i want to shoot.
( as a point of reference, sierra's hunting reccommendation for 30'06 with a 175 is 2800fps with a 26" bbl)
mike in co

today i shot three shot groups based on the above ladder data.
i did shoot with flags. someone had mentioned that the wind could just as easy blow a shot in as out of the group.
the intend was to ensure i did not shoot during a switch. our range does have an issue with swirling betwieen 50 and 25 yds..typically moving towards the shooter.
the 47.0 load shot 2688/2691/2689 fps
and measured.........
drum rolllllllllllllllllllllll
yep folks third bullet to shoot well sub moa...
150 shot .365 with best load
168 shot .516 with best load
174 shot .257 with best load.....
this is better than i had hoped for.
that is a best load ag of 0.394 for three different bullets.
so i will stick to my guns and say its a 0.5moa rifle....
i have taken time away from other projects to do this and do not know when i will get back to it.
i need to work on my 1000yd gun and my 100 yds guns......
mike in co

all groups were shot at 100 yds
the exception is the target pic..and it was 25/50/100 and is marked so...
only the last batch were shot with wind flags.
the first two were on fairly calm days 3mph or less.
mike in co

At least you're.............

having FUN!!

And that's ALL that counts, right??

(Say, do you wanna CRYO that rifle??) :D:D:D :cool:

(Couldn't resist)

73 years old...'fraid we might break something....( the rifle not me)

Seems like this thread is getting a lot of traffic for not being up to BR standards. Maybe it time for some of us to come out of the closet! :pV:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Tim

( you two may have something there.
the humor thread on the general forum has been up longer, has more posts but only 150 some viewers...
this has been up only a short while and well over 300 viewers..hmmmmmmmmmmmm maybe people like thier accuracy in a varity of packages)

Back