Gene beggs on chambering

Bill,
Are you saying that these people do it this way and it is the only way? Do you want a list of people that do it in the headstock? Winners have been chambered both ways. You pick your own poison.

Butch........ either way is about as good as the man doing it......................

Outsider looking in.
From gene's first page: "Turn the forward two inches of the muzzle just enough to clean it up which insures this journal is true and concentric with the bore. I like to use a freshly sharpened HSS tool for this taking light cuts to minimize push off."

If you did not dial this in from THE BORE, how do you KNOW you are concentric with the BORE ??

Like I said Jerry.......... either method.... is about as good as the man doing it........ that`s why...Kelbys,Obermeyer,Hart,Lilja, and mid Tompkins use the steady rest.....
bill

Last two Super Shoots when I was in Kelblys shop they were chambering through the headstock and on CNC. So does Dave Tooley. About 15-20 minutes to do the breech end complete.

I have one of the test stubs from Kelblys. They use a Mazak CNC and Tooley used a Haas TL1.

Last two Super Shoots when I was in Kelblys shop they were chambering through the headstock and on CNC. So does Dave Tooley. About 15-20 minutes to do the breech end complete.

I have one of the test stubs from Kelblys. They use a Mazak CNC and Tooley used a Haas TL1.

On their website..... they show a clip showing chambering with steady rest........ probably for longer barrels and shorter ones thru headstock.....

Pete,
Maybe tumble deburred, it
leaves a finish like that.
Maybe

Looks like the surface on the spider is hand scraped. Perhaps an optical illusion but it would be gilding the lily, in my opinion.

Pete

Outsider looking in.
From gene's first page: "Turn the forward two inches of the muzzle just enough to clean it up which insures this journal is true and concentric with the bore. I like to use a freshly sharpened HSS tool for this taking light cuts to minimize push off."

If you did not dial this in from THE BORE, how do you KNOW you are concentric with the BORE ??

Put a fresh 30 degree center in the muzzle end with a piloted center drill. Place this in the live center and turn the outside of the muzzle to whatever length you want to work with. One inch is enough. The OD will be concentric with the bore. :)

Gene Beggs

If, in a steadyrest setup, the chuck jaws have induced a bend between themselves and the steadyrest you could induce workhardening in the barrel because as it rotates it is continually flexing.To eliminate this possible problem the barrel must be chucked so the barrel is not in a stressed condition by using something like a heavy copper wire between the jaws and the barrel.

In a through the headstock setup if you have induced a bend (curve) there is not a flexing problem since that curve is static and is rotating in space with the spindle. This will not induce any stresses like the steadyrest method could. .

Jerry, I understand what you're saying but I just haven't found it to be a problem.

Gene Beggs

Gene I want to thank you for the replys and this Wonderful post. I have a Hart barrel in the lathe ready to test out your method with the steady rest. I think it will work out just fine. I have been a thru the headstock guy until now. Going to give this a shot. Thanks again

gene,
i am new, but i have read a bunch and do have machine shop expeience.
a straight bore is IDEAL, but in reality the bore worms the length of the bbl.
i'd be willing to wager that if you dial in the bore and your od cylinder...that they are not concentric.
it maybe good enough for what you are doing..nut not concentric.

Put a fresh 30 degree center in the muzzle end with a piloted center drill. Place this in the live center and turn the outside of the muzzle to whatever length you want to work with. One inch is enough. The OD will be concentric with the bore. :)

Gene Beggs

On their website..... they show a clip showing chambering with steady rest........ probably for longer barrels and shorter ones thru headstock.....

No, they probably still, on certain calibers, etc, still chamber in a steady. I'm just telling what I SAW for the last2 years and what Dave Tooley told me hiself.

I can point out how many runout errors stack up using a steady that do not occur in the through the headstock method.

I'd do that now but its time to hook up to the Bass boat and head to the lake!!

Although I am not a gunsmith, I have seen great results using both methods. The late Jerry Simison chambered many barrels for me and I consider him to be one of the best. He was set up to chamber by either method, but preferred to chamber using a steady rest. When Jerry got sick and I had to find a new 'smith, I chose Billy Stevens and he strongly prefers chambering in the headstock. These two men turned out many winning rifles; yet they used different methods of chambering. Good shooting...James Mock

Since Jerry, my dear dear friend, drug my name into this I put something out about how I do it. Below is my setup on my Haas.. Inboard and outboard spiders. Bushings to hold shorter barrels concentric in the spindle. Bartleins are amazingly concentric barrel after barrel. Recently I chambered over 750 barrels one year. I currently have 350 to do between now and March 1st. I have drawers for sharp reamers and drawers for dull reamers I do so much work. More than enough data points to have an informed although, I'll admit it, somewhat opinionated position. I've chambered barrels any which way you can think of and had success. From standard contours to 1.850" diameter barrels. All of the large barrels were done between centers and chambered in a steady rest until I got my Haas set up. I got to the point where I was happy with the results working between centers, thanks to a tip from George K, but some techniques require more skill and attention from the smith. That's one of them. As Jerry points out tolerances stack up. Chambering in the headstock eliminates any stacking. Most of my chambers are rather large and long which magnifies any misalignment. I don't see alignment issues the way I do it. Throats are concentric, which is the main goal, and the breech end of the chambers run under <.0005". Setups should be simple, rigid and repeatable with a minimum number of steps involved whether it's chambering or other any other job in the shop.

As always your mileage may vary.

http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab144/tooleyrifles/HaasTL-1.jpg
http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab144/tooleyrifles/reaming.jpg

Last edited:
That was meant to be humerous

Pete,
Maybe tumble deburred, it
leaves a finish like that.
Maybe

just struck me as amusing but I guess I have a distorted sense of humor. I use to work in the Machine Tool Rebuilding trade and use to scrape stuff to fit is what peaked my curiosity.

Pete

Well i am the new guy.
I believe it went right over my head.
No foul.

just struck me as amusing but I guess I have a distorted sense of humor. I use to work in the Machine Tool Rebuilding trade and use to scrape stuff to fit is what peaked my curiosity.

Pete

Like the tailstock in the toolholder. What is it made from? Any trouble keeping it aligned?

I got a 6" Emco tailstock off of EBay. They are about the only manufacture with a graduated hand wheels on small machines. Machined it down to fit a tool holder. Dialed it in and setting the height and my X and Z offsets. After roughing the chamber it's a programmed move out to where it lines up with the bore. Change tools, free up the Z axis and go to work. I let the reamer float so alignment is never an issue.

gene,
i am new, but i have read a bunch and do have machine shop expeience.
a straight bore is IDEAL, but in reality the bore worms the length of the bbl.
i'd be willing to wager that if you dial in the bore and your od cylinder...that they are not concentric.
it maybe good enough for what you are doing..nut not concentric.

Barrels made by reputable makers over the last 30 years have the OD ground to very close tolerances to the bore. I want to see the bore that "worms" its way through a barrel.

Back