Gene beggs on chambering

Barrels made by reputable makers over the last 30 years have the OD ground to very close tolerances to the bore. I want to see the bore that "worms" its way through a barrel.

Mount a barrel where the breech and the muzzle bores are true and turn the spindle on and LOOK!!!

GEECH!!!

Mount a barrel where the breech and the muzzle bores are true and turn the spindle on and LOOK!!!

GEECH!!!

What are you seeing? 20 - 30 thousands runout? If I measured more than 3 thousands the barrel would go back.

Barrels made by reputable makers over the last 30 years have the OD ground to very close tolerances to the bore. I want to see the bore that "worms" its way through a barrel.

Who told you that and by the way, what is close?
If you are chambering in the headstock, what difference does .030" matter?

your going

to be sending ALOT of barrels back if you can't live with more than .003 Actually, it really doesn't make much difference. I have seen straight bbls be dogs and crooked bbls be dogs. Seen it be just the opposite also. Best way to qualify a barrel? Shoot the darn thing!

Richard

to be sending ALOT of barrels back if you can't live with more than .003 Actually, it really doesn't make much difference. I have seen straight bbls be dogs and crooked bbls be dogs. Seen it be just the opposite also. Best way to qualify a barrel? Shoot the darn thing!

Richard

I've seen some crooked barrels shoot better than nearly straight ones.

Note. I did not say straight ones...there ain't such an animal!

How do you measure internal run out in a 27" barrel blank? I know there are laser systems that can do it but no mechanical systems.

Pretty easy

scribe a line the length of the bbl. Cut bbl into 1" sections then measure:p Just yanking somebody's chain;)

Richard

The closest barrel to being straight I have ever worked on was a Brux barrel. On the same token, the most crooked barrel ive ever seen was a Brux. I don't know how the straight Brux barrel shot, but the crooked one was a lazer!! Go figure!! Lee

How do you measure internal run out in a 27" barrel blank? I know there are laser systems that can do it but no mechanical systems.

I use 29" blanks. When I cut off approx. 5" from the muzzle and approx. 2.5" from the breech. After setting the barrel up to chamber and closely indicating the ID, I run an indicator off the OD on both ends. I have seen as much as 0.007" of inconcentricity.

Then I spin the barrel and look down the spinning bore. When it looks like the old high school 2-girls jump rope, I call it crooked and note it in that barrels written history. Doesn't seem to be any relationship I have found in the performance of an almost straight barrel over a very crooked one....but, 0.003" max and send it back? The shipping costs alone would be prohibitive.

Back