? for drop port shooters

goodgrouper

tryingtobeabettergrouper
I was curious how much "help" is needed (if any)to start the round into the chamber on a Stiller drop port action since it does not use a coned bolt? I've only fired one once and the bolt was on the wrong side for me so it probably wasn't as smooth of an operation as it was for the owner of the rifle. But I remember having to "start" the cartridge into the chamber with my finger which seemed to negate any speed gained by not having to extract the case by hand.

Any help? Can you throw a round into the action and close the bolt without any other effort?

I had a little trouble with hang-ups at first, called Stiller and he recommended a slight chamfer on the barrel. I don’t remember the degree of the angle but once done its perfect. Just through one in and go..

I sighted one in, and worked up a good load for a friend. Throw one in, and close the bolt. It worked every time. If you need to remove a loaded round after it has been chambered, push the bolt release and pull the bolt and attached round out the back.

Word Of Caution

As most know, one important aspect when chambering a Drop port is the counterbore depth. It must be deep enough so the bolt will close, but not so deep as to uncover the solid web of the PPC case.

So, if you do chamfer the mouth of the chamber, be very stingy. Too much chamfer will have the same result as too deep of a counterbore.

I have a drop port on my Rail, and it feeds just fine, although in the "heat of battle", I usually flip the rounds into the chamber rather than lay them on the ramp. But then, I do that with all of my Rifles, it's a habit I developed with my first Benchrest Rifle, an old 40x Remington...........jackie

I just lay the round in the port and close the bolt. Haven't had any problems feeding 1000's of rounds.

Jerry

Depends on the chamfer you put on the opening to the chamber. Too little and you need to kind of flip the round forward a bit, just right and you can just lay it in the feed tray. Don't let the round get too far back or it will tip back and cause a jam when you run the bolt forward. Other than that minor thing, I think it is the best action on the market right now.

Donlad

Drop Port Chamfer Specs

As most know, one important aspect when chambering a Drop port is the counterbore depth. It must be deep enough so the bolt will close, but not so deep as to uncover the solid web of the PPC case.

So, if you do chamfer the mouth of the chamber, be very stingy. Too much chamfer will have the same result as too deep of a counterbore.

I have a drop port on my Rail, and it feeds just fine, although in the "heat of battle", I usually flip the rounds into the chamber rather than lay them on the ramp. But then, I do that with all of my Rifles, it's a habit I developed with my first Benchrest Rifle, an old 40x Remington...........jackie

The Viper/Cobra/Dback print calls for a .005 chamfer........

Coned bolt

I dont get it.
My bolt is coned.
When I was shooting with Jerry back in 2000 the bolts were coned then.

Mine feed just fine.
Every once in a great while when running I will try to close the bolt when the case is still moving and it might hit but then again the case is still moving while I was trying to close.

On my 30BR it is best to go ahead and push the case up into the chamber with the thumb. This is most likely caused by the heavier bullet which moves forward the CG of the loaded round. This extra movement still takes less time than removing a fired case and putting it somewhere on the bench out of the way.

I put a funky looking but effective case deflector on the bottom of my stock which flips the empty over into a plastic tray on the right side of the bench. This keeps the fired cases from ending up under the left hand as it is working the joystick .

I also had to change the angles on the drop port in the stock to make it totally reliable with the 30BR. Mainly this involves making the rear angle a bit closer to vertical and making the outlet oval instead of round.

I dont get it.
My bolt is coned.
When I was shooting with Jerry back in 2000 the bolts were coned then.

Mine feed just fine.
Every once in a great while when running I will try to close the bolt when the case is still moving and it might hit but then again the case is still moving while I was trying to close.

The early bolts where coned with only a small flat surface whereas the later ones have a Remington bolt nose and breech face.

Jim

Good question.
I have reached a point of running where I throw the cartridge into the chamber, slam the bolt down, and yank the trigger. To me, time can be more valuable then technique. I really like the drop port!

Thank you fellas. Much appreciated.
Please feel free to add anything more. I'd like to hear from anyone using drop ports. So far it seems everyone is much in favor of them!

Marty, I forgot you shot a drop. I shoulda come over to your bench and watched you shoot last week. But then again, I hardly had time to go answer the call of nature inbetween groups, let alone wander over and watch things!

Viper

We were moving along at a pretty fast pace. Once you get use to the drop port, its the best thing since sliced bread!
You thinkin of gettin one? Oh thats right you shoot on the wrong side of the bench!

MAC

i shoot two d.p. vipers in 1000 yard br, and i use the 40*dasher case. no problems at all, and i don't take my time. put that .005" chamfer on there, maybe polish the lower edge a tad, and go to town.
good luck,
tom

You thinkin of gettin one?
MAC

Actually, I thought of getting one years ago but when I called to order, Jerry said he wouldn't be making any in southpaw for about a year. But he did have a regular Viper in left hand on the shelf from a cancellation order and it was ready to ship so I bought it instead. Now I'm thinking about converting it to a drop.:)

Is it possible to mill the "drop port" opening large enough to eject a 30ppc and a 30BR? Would it cause any problems with the 6ppc? It sure would be nice if one port had the capacity to cycle all 3 rounds.
Just askin...... :)

Last edited:
Smitty, email Stiller and ask. I know that there have been others who have opened the port for the 30 br but the normal ppc bolt face does not accommodate the br case without rebating.
I do know know about the 30 ppc but I sure would like to know since I have the 6 and want a 30.
The other issue I am not sure about is whether the bolt face is different for the drop port and the other Stiller actions.
with the drop port that I have the case is held by the top of the bolt and open at the bottom of the bolt face so it can "drop" through the hole.

Guys

Whether you realize or not or appreciate the concept of drop port in a Stiller action works. I watched Mike Marcelli drop ammo in his Stiller drop port action, no problem, shoot and it dropped out fast, what else could a pilgrim shooter ask for and Mike is a good fast shooter.

I do not have a Stiller action yet but I need a slick action for my Rail. Stiller drop port actions spell sucess, where speed and reliability in a BR action is paramount. Jerry has engineered both into his actions, 5 thumbs up.
Done.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Last edited:
Vern,

All the modern drop ports (except yours (I wish I had one :()) has Remington style bolt/chambers. All other Stiller BR actions have the coned bolt/chambers.

And yes you'll have to open up a 6ppc bolt face to extract a 30BR.

Is it possible to mill the "drop port" opening large enough to eject a 30ppc and a 30BR? Would it cause any problems with the 6ppc? It sure would be nice if one port had the capacity to cycle all 3 rounds.
Just askin...... :)

I've been meaning to find this out as well. I have a new DP waiting for a stock and wondered just how big/long a case it can function with.

Back