Fast cars!!

Really nice shop.

The Mudd Brothers had a Steel Bodied 65 GTO too, but the body had been acid dipped and I think you could have pushed it in with your pinky. They trailered that up to "The Dinner" a few times from the Bronx.

Bob

Really nice shop.

The Mudd Brothers had a Steel Bodied 65 GTO too, but the body had been acid dipped and I think you could have pushed it in with your pinky. They trailered that up to "The Dinner" a few times from the Bronx.

Bob

Bob - I assume you probably ran the Connecting Highway back in the day too?

And to echo Jackie's point, the technology we can apply to old cars is staggering. I haven't got there yet however. Still stuck on the three C's of going fast - cubes, compression, and cam. Later this month I'm dropping a 632 on two stages into my '64 Chevy II (upgraded from a 14.5:1 540 BBC).

Since this picture was taken, I've expanded the cage, added a parachute, and stuck wheelie bars on the back. Looking for an 8 flat quarter. And yes, it sees the street a lot.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Yep, The Connection was a haunt. As was the original construction site of the IBM complex in Tuxedo Park before the buildings were completed.

We had a guy we called Fast Eddie, that had a Chevy II like that, but he had an amazingly built 275 HP 327 in it with 3 gears on the column that he replace with a 2 speed Power Glide Automatic. Was good enough for the early Corvettes, so good enough for Fast Eddie,

Bob

Busy off season here. Engines, transmissions and cars are apart looking for a little E.T. where ever we can find it.

MMUKYRr.jpg

eUjN8xI.jpg

I literally feel embarrased about my garage after seeing this picture.....nice.

I watched a Youtube

the other day of a guy stitching up a crack in the head from an old Rocket Olds Head from back in the 50's, likely. The Cubic Inches were in the mid 300's when most other cars on the road were lucky to have 100 HP, if that.

I realize that has nothing to do with this but I think the contrast to a Crate Motor is incredible. From when I can first remember, Rocket 88 Olds' were the fastest thing one could get; where I lived, anyway. Building a fast engine was "Out There". Now it's pretty easy to buy it in a crate, from what I can see.

Pete

E.t.

When I was way younger I was into dirt bikes and flat trackers. The intell of the day said that 6 lbs equals 1 horsepower on a bike that weighed 230 lbs. I don't know what the equation is for a drag car in the 1500 -2500 lb range, but losing weight is a good way to go faster.

Nice shop, Al.

Jackie, the shop belongs to my pal, Steve. I'm lucky to have such a great facility to work out of. It benefits both of us as the work on all the cars is a group effort. Steve builds a lot of 396 and 427 NHRA Stock Eliminator and Super Stock engines. We were measuring pistons the other day in preparation for swapping the rotating assy. from a 396-375 Super Stock short block into a new Bowtie block and took a few minutes to remember back when we were doing stuff like this in a one stall garage with a couple of 60 watt trouble lights. ;)

Jackie, the shop belongs to my pal, Steve. I'm lucky to have such a great facility to work out of. It benefits both of us as the work on all the cars is a group effort. Steve builds a lot of 396 and 427 NHRA Stock Eliminator and Super Stock engines. We were measuring pistons the other day in preparation for swapping the rotating assy. from a 396-375 Super Stock short block into a new Bowtie block and took a few minutes to remember back when we were doing stuff like this in a one stall garage with a couple of 60 watt trouble lights. ;)

The quest never ends does it Al? Nice car you have and a nice place to work. I've only been racing 6 years and that happened by accident after sending a spare engine out to have built. Then after deciding to do a little racing, replaced the whole drive train BEFORE tearing it up. Once I get down to 11:50 I'll call it good enough, not going to a roll bar. Still trying to dial in my carbs after putting on cold air induction. Last year at the Hot Rod Reunion in Bowling Green I came in second and made National Dragster magazine. Friggin red light..... Attached is a copy of this years poster and my 64 is pictured. Old skool stuff. Looks like there will be over 20 W-powered cars attending. I have a couple of ideas on loosing a little weight...right now it is at 4,240# and I don't want to chop it up. Spring's coming....
Dave

Attachments

• Beech Bend Flyer.jpg
    Beech Bend Flyer.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
Anybody need a streetrod project. A close friend passed away about a year or so ago. His project is waiting on a new owner. I think his choice of car is the downfall. It is built on a 1937 Cord. The rear suspension is coil over with an IRS Mustang rear diff. The front end is a coil over Heidt custom front suspension. It is 4 wheel vented disc brakes. Alloy wheels with new tires. It uses a LS eng and tranny, don't ask me which, that is installed and has a new custom drive shaft. The engine has the Corvette supercharger and inter cooler. It has a new custom aluminum radiator and trans cooler. All interior floor boards have been installed. It has electric bucket seats. Brad was going to order a custom A/C compressor that was a small Sanyo I believe.It may be there. It has a new custom fuel tank and the proper fuel pump for the EFI system.
A lot of money invested and a tremendous amount of labor. I don't know what his wife was asking for it, but will give you contact info if interested.

Thanks Jackie, The car is a matching serial number ride that was frame off restored. Now has 47,000 miles on it and I would like to put new life back into the engine. I especially want to keep it original as the Aluminum Head Rat Motors were not very common.

Bob

The quest never ends does it Al? Nice car you have and a nice place to work. I've only been racing 6 years and that happened by accident after sending a spare engine out to have built. Then after deciding to do a little racing, replaced the whole drive train BEFORE tearing it up. Once I get down to 11:50 I'll call it good enough, not going to a roll bar. Still trying to dial in my carbs after putting on cold air induction. Last year at the Hot Rod Reunion in Bowling Green I came in second and made National Dragster magazine. Friggin red light..... Attached is a copy of this years poster and my 64 is pictured. Old skool stuff. Looks like there will be over 20 W-powered cars attending. I have a couple of ideas on loosing a little weight...right now it is at 4,240# and I don't want to chop it up. Spring's coming....
Dave

I saw that pic of your car in the Dragster, Dave...'way cool! :) Sounds like you're approaching it the right way...a little here and there and pretty soon there's a significant E.T. reduction. Kinda' like makin' a BR gun agg./shoots X's...it's not one thing, it's all the little things.

'W' cars are so cool. ;) Stay warm. :) -Al

Dave

Dave, what rear ended ration do you have.

Seeing a 4200+ pound car with the wheels up is far out.

I gotta agree with Al. Nothing looks better when the hood is raised than a "W" motor.

That W designation has an interesting history. I, like most, assumed we called them "W motors" because of the shape of the valve covers. But then comes along the true authorities on this very important matter and said "no, you all are mistaken. "W" was the in house engineering code that GM used in development".

Screw that. I think those way cool valve covers are a much better reason to give the 348/409 their moniker.

Last edited:
Jackie

I'm running 4:30's soon to be 4:88. Here's the info your spoke about.

When the 265 came out in 1955, it's larger size was greatly accepted by the public and Chevrolet realized that this trend would continue far into the future with bigger and bigger engines. The problem is the 265 could only grow so big (to 327 cu. inches).

Another problem was the small block had torque limitations in a low rpm range that made it less than desirable for heavier models w/automatic transmissions and unsuitable as a truck engine.

Chevrolet came out with 3 test engines to meet this problem labeled, "W", "X", and "Y".

The "X" and "Y" were bored out versions of the 265 displacing 300 cubes. The "X" model kept the 3" stroke while increasing the bore to 4 inches. The "Y" engine had an increased stroke (3.3 inches) and a bore of 3 13/16 inches.

Neither were what they were looking for but these engines did lead up to the 283.

Last was the "W" engine. What was needed was an engine with not only another 50 cubes but one that had room to expand 60 inches beyond that. It also had to be small enough to fit into a passenger car. It had to bolt into car as well as trucks.

The "W" engine met all these requirements. The final product was only 1 1/2 inches longer, 2 1/2 inches wider, and 7/8 inch shorter than the 265.

Back