Factory class etc... aka "leveling the field"

Make sure it's understood that the match is for bolt action or single shot guns only. This is benchrest and should be respected as such. If you want to tune up your cape buffalo gun or your over-the-course semi-auto, you are welcome to do so... elsewhere.

Dick Wright

ok..now i strongly disagree with dick. you know you are stepping on my toes when you eliminate ar platforms.
there is nowhere in the preambles of either major benchrest org that says bolt guns only. it does say something about the ultimate rifle accuracy. if my ultimate rifle accuracy is from an ar platform( and i fit the rest of the rules) why should i not be allowed to beat you and your (old school antique) bolt gun. its not a laser, its not a air gun. it shoots a brass cartridge, centerfire rifle.
an ar with a sled( single shot device) is a single shot rifle.
an ar can be fired single shot, a shop towel over the ejection port will keep the brass on the bench. if auto ejection is a rule issue, the gas system can be blocled, but would this be considered a mod ?
dick, let them shoot what they brung.....they will see bench rifles and they will see what they can do. if they have the urge for accuracy they will make choices to move up.

will a stock ar out shoot a stock bolt gun....possible,but not likely., but lets not eliminate players before the game starts.

mike in co

i think the target is a great GAME. but it is not a STOCK gun class. if the intent is to draw in new players to "our" game, then use our targets . limited rules and make it fun for the new players. make it about an intro to precsion shooting.
just my 2 cents worth
mike in co

I like the idea

I plan on shooting this afternoon, if it doesn't rain. Use a couple of 100 yd IBS hunter targets and make some circles on the back of the target. Sounds like fun:) Have to take my Rem VSSF in 223 with the 36D scope.

Mike...

I won't argue too strongly about the ar's. If you showed up with one such as you describe, I wouldn't have a problem with your shooting it. However, you would be responsible for ejecting the first 6'6" ape that showed up with an ar without your mods.

In 19 years we've never had anyone show up with an ar.

Dick

Strategy,

My first thought would be to put one shot on each of the "1"'s and then sit and wait. I think 30 minutes is too long...everyone will wait until the last minute anyway. Of course someone will get chancy and shoot ahead - but....everyone else will still wait.

I.E. everyone shoots the basic five "1". or maybe the "1" and "2''s. And then you wait ...and wait....and wait. some may shoot now, but if they do, they show their hand and are most likely going to get beat.

So everyone will wait until the last 30 seconds - that way no-one has time to "compare" and then you figure you have time for one or two good shots - if your rifle is shooting good - you go for "5"'s if not "4's"

cross-fires would be a PITA.

I won't argue too strongly about the ar's. If you showed up with one such as you describe, I wouldn't have a problem with your shooting it. However, you would be responsible for ejecting the first 6'6" ape that showed up with an ar without your mods.

In 19 years we've never had anyone show up with an ar.

Dick

dick,
i think that there are some ar's in varmit config that would give most bolt guns a run for thier money. no an a2 config nor an m4 is a target rifle, but the mil now has a designated marksman program, and some of those rifles are not shabby at all. this rifle program is part of the change in terminology from hp(hollow point) to otm( open tip match)...seems geneva convention has a hickup with hp bullets.

who knows maybe i'll travel east, get john f away from his casting stuff and shoot a match.

mike in co

[QUOTE . . .this rifle program is part of the change in terminology from hp(hollow point) to otm( open tip match)...seems geneva convention has a hickup with hp bullets.mike in co[/QUOTE]

Mike

Back during the first Gulf War our snipers were handicapped by having to use the old military match ammo with FMJ. This stuff was less than adequate from a long range perspective but the new match ammo with the 168 grain SMK was specifically forbidden for combat use. But, the JAG correctly determined that the "hollow point" was the result of the manufacturing process and not made for the specific purpose of inflicting wounds and was therefore not in violation of the Conventions. The current Match ammunition is the M118 LR (Long Range) and is loaded with the Sierra 175 grain SMK type OTM bullet. It is approved as a combination Match/Sniper/Combat round.

But, this is not say that the current crop of JAG lawyers won't reverse that decision. After all, it is not politically correct to shoot someone with those dum-dum bullets. It is OK to blow their arms and legs off with mines, bombs, and artillery.:rolleyes:

Ray

varmint for score

The vha has a stock class If somone is looking for start on rules. In our low-end scum of the earth type of shooting we welcome all bring your ar but leave your rail gun at home. We welcome all.

OK.... I'm like totally diggin' it man BUT.....

Howsabout modding it to black bulls and a white field and plugging OUTSIDE which would encourage the 30's etc.... in other words, reverse the "touch black & you lose," instead, SAME CONCEPT but MISS BLACK (plugged) and you lose.

Of course this would take smaller bulls.. And it's not really a gain per se, just answers to which end of the caliber spectrum you want to cater to.

al

I don't see

how this is any kind of improvement. Any of the targets we have now would work if all the bullets must be inside the defined circles and I don't understand how anyone can believe "Bring What Ya Got " is, in any way, leveling the field. It seems to me it is tilting it to the max.

In spite of what some think of "factory Class", it is to benchrest what Senior three wheeled bicycle racing is to the Tour D France. There are some very good off the shelf rifles made in factories that have great barrels and that, in itself a problem.

I say if you are going racing, don't expect to do it in the Family Sedan.

We Shoot Factory at Tomball

Our next match is the first Sunday in June. We have a bona-fide Factory class, (no "factory target Rifles"), you can re-bed it, adjust the trigger, but that is it.

No gimicks, either, they shoot at the standard NBRSA-IBS score target.

This gives the Factory Rifle Shooter a chance to see just how well him, and his Rifle, performs in a controled setting.

Of course, we also have a Modified Class, and a Benchrest Class. The rules are pretty liberaql in the Benchrest Class. It says, "any legal firearm".........jackie

"Howsabout modding it to black bulls and a white field and plugging OUTSIDE which would encourage the 30's etc.... in other words, reverse the "touch black & you lose," instead, SAME CONCEPT but MISS BLACK (plugged) and you lose"

People would switch to 22's

I think if that happened the same people griping that the 30 is to big would gripe that the 22 is to small. (in other words if I am not winning you are cheating somehow)

OK
Do half black bulls / half white bulls. that way nether large nor small calibers have an advantage.

Make it worst edge scoring, but just hand each competitor a blank piece of target paper and let them draw there own circles with a felt-tip pen. The more circles the higher the potential score. Let them choose templates ranging from soda straws to fender washers to coffee cans, but all circles must be the same size, and all targets must be shot. Any strategy would be done before the targets were hung so everyone could take the entire time to shoot the match..
Call the match “Factory ER” for Ego vs. Reality. “You said your rifle shoots ¼” all day long, why are drawing such BIG circles? :confused: :D

Back